DNA Sequencing Megathread! Neanderthals, Denisovans and other ancient DNA!

Started by jimmy olsen, November 03, 2013, 07:07:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on April 27, 2017, 10:10:47 AM
My understanding is that if you wanted to trace back my dad's line you hit a huge brick wall as soon as you the generation before they came to Canada - we don't know where precisely in Ukraine (well, Russia or Austria in those days) they came from, and even if we did the records would likely have been demolished in a little tiff called WWII.

SOme day when I have a spare $200 I wouldn't mind seeing what a DNA ancestry check would have to say.

Very common. The Atlantic Ocean is one hell of a barrier.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

viper37

Well, I can trace my paternal ancestors back to Normandy, he was a cooper, like his brother(s) (can't remember if they were 2 or 3).  I know my maternal ancestor who first came here was from Poitou (from my grandfather line), but I have no idea what he was doing for a living.  Apparenlty, on my grandmother's side, we are related to Étienne Brûlé, though I don't know how much of it is really true, it's only something I heard from a tv show on famous pionneers and their descendants.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

HVC

I got fisherman and farmers. Really the only exciting possibility that may have happened was an ancestors sibling got taken by Vikings given where my mom comes from.

Oh, and town famous philanderer great grandfather.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

viper37

Given the tangent this thread has taken, I'm hesitant to bring it back to its roots... ;)

But, this is a major discovery, mastodon bones, most likely killed and skinned by humans:
First humans in California dated to 130 000 years ago

Quote130,000-year-old mastodon bones could rewrite story of how humans first appeared in the Americas

Shattered mastodon bones from a Southern California site bear the scars of human activity from 130,700 years ago, a team of scientists says — pushing back the generally accepted date that humans are thought to have settled North America by a whopping 115,000 or so years.

If verified and corroborated by other scientists, the discovery described in the journal Nature could radically rewrite the timeline of when humans first arrived in the Americas.

"This is the first time there's been a demonstrated archaeological site with all the bells and whistles," said Curtis Runnels, an archaeologist at Boston University who was not involved with the study, referring to the combination of several lines of evidence at the site. "This makes it absolutely first-water importance. This is up there with one of the discoveries of the century, I would say."
[...]

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

derspiess

Quote from: viper37 on April 27, 2017, 10:34:24 AM
I know my maternal ancestor who first came here was from Poitou (from my grandfather line), but I have no idea what he was doing for a living. 

That is where my Huguenot ancestors were from.  Family name was Monnet (or Monnett).  Looks like they fled to London sometime in the 17th century and then one of them ended up in Maryland, where the name was anglicized to Money.  Going back before that, I have at least 4 direct ancestors that were killed in the St. Bartholomew's Day Massacre in 1572.   
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Grinning_Colossus

If Homo sapiens did this, it also pushes the migration out of Africa back by tens of thousands of years. Could it have been Erectus, or a North American descendant?
Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

Admiral Yi

Quote from: derspiess on April 27, 2017, 10:51:59 AM
That is where my Huguenot ancestors were from.  Family name was Monnet (or Monnett).  Looks like they fled to London sometime in the 17th century and then one of them ended up in Maryland, where the name was anglicized to Money.  Going back before that, I have at least 4 direct ancestors that were killed in the St. Bartholomew's Day Massacre in 1572.

That's a long time to hold a grudge dude.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Grinning_Colossus on April 27, 2017, 10:52:44 AM
If Homo sapiens did this, it also pushes the migration out of Africa back by tens of thousands of years. Could it have been Erectus, or a North American descendant?

Is there any evidence of sapiens in Siberia or East Asia 130-140K YA?  It does suggest Erectus or some variant. 
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

derspiess

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 27, 2017, 10:54:18 AM

That's a long time to hold a grudge dude.

WELL NOW ITS WORSE
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

The Brain

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on April 27, 2017, 10:58:58 AM

Is there any evidence of sapiens in Siberia or East Asia 130-140K YA?  It does suggest Erectus or some variant.

Well it must be one of the major Homos.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

viper37

Family name was Monnet (or Monnett).  Looks like they fled to London sometime in the 17th century and then one of them ended up in Maryland, where the name was anglicized to Money. 
Do you share a common ancestor with our Count here?   :ph34r:

viper37

Erectus or Denisovan would be likelier, but it's a big ?, until we actually invent time travel ;)

Quote"The implications are massive in terms of human migrations, because for a start we don't really know which human was actually in North America 130,000 years ago," Fullagar said. "There are possibilities; it could be Neanderthal or Denisovan or an early anatomically modern human, but there are no human remains in northeastern Siberia of anything like that sort of age. So it's an unknown, and it extends in a way the capacity of these early humans to have made such a journey — especially if it were by boat and involved sea crossings as opposed to a land crossing."

Eddie Teach

Quote from: viper37 on April 27, 2017, 12:57:53 PM
Family name was Monnet (or Monnett).  Looks like they fled to London sometime in the 17th century and then one of them ended up in Maryland, where the name was anglicized to Money. 
Do you share a common ancestor with our Count here?   :ph34r:

Yes, but he's Irish rather than French.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

katmai

Quote from: Barrister on April 27, 2017, 10:10:47 AM
My understanding is that if you wanted to trace back my dad's line you hit a huge brick wall as soon as you the generation before they came to Canada - we don't know where precisely in Ukraine (well, Russia or Austria in those days) they came from, and even if we did the records would likely have been demolished in a little tiff called WWII.

SOme day when I have a spare $200 I wouldn't mind seeing what a DNA ancestry check would have to say.

family tree dna is on sale for $59 at moment here in USA....no idea if applicable in Canuckleland.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

jimmy olsen

Quote from: viper37 on April 27, 2017, 10:40:42 AM
Given the tangent this thread has taken, I'm hesitant to bring it back to its roots... ;)

But, this is a major discovery, mastodon bones, most likely killed and skinned by humans:
First humans in California dated to 130 000 years ago

Quote130,000-year-old mastodon bones could rewrite story of how humans first appeared in the Americas

Shattered mastodon bones from a Southern California site bear the scars of human activity from 130,700 years ago, a team of scientists says — pushing back the generally accepted date that humans are thought to have settled North America by a whopping 115,000 or so years.

If verified and corroborated by other scientists, the discovery described in the journal Nature could radically rewrite the timeline of when humans first arrived in the Americas.

"This is the first time there's been a demonstrated archaeological site with all the bells and whistles," said Curtis Runnels, an archaeologist at Boston University who was not involved with the study, referring to the combination of several lines of evidence at the site. "This makes it absolutely first-water importance. This is up there with one of the discoveries of the century, I would say."
[...]

There's no fucking way. Push it back to 30 or even 45k I could accept, but not 130,000. Humans got to Australia 60,000 years ago. No way that they arrived in the Americas 70,000 years before that.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point