DNA Sequencing Megathread! Neanderthals, Denisovans and other ancient DNA!

Started by jimmy olsen, November 03, 2013, 07:07:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

Quote from: katmai on April 04, 2017, 03:23:57 PM
Hey Cal, are ancestry and 23and me the only two you've done?
I have only done Ancestry in the sense that I spit in a tube and mailed them the tube.

I've also run my results through FTDNA, GEDMatch, and Promethease.

One of my friends at work has done 23 and me and let me log in to her account and look at her results to get an idea of what 23 and me offers.

23 and me is more expensive, but it's probably better for anything other than ancestry research.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Razgovory

Oh, SPIT in the tube.  I hope they don't get mad when they found out what I did...
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Grinning_Colossus

My brother did 23andMe back when they were still doing their semi-BS medical risk assessments. I regret not doing it at the time, since he and I have different eye colors, so probably different X chromosomes.
Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

katmai

Quote from: Caliga on April 04, 2017, 04:27:08 PM
Quote from: katmai on April 04, 2017, 03:23:57 PM
Hey Cal, are ancestry and 23and me the only two you've done?
I have only done Ancestry in the sense that I spit in a tube and mailed them the tube.

I've also run my results through FTDNA, GEDMatch, and Promethease.

Was just asking as FTDNA is in process of updating their my origins page with better breakdown of ancestry.
from their new update I really am related to Siegy :(
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Caliga

Interesting, do you know when it will be done or if it's done already?

I just checked and I forget what it said about me before, but now it thinks I am 53% British Isles, 22% West and Central Europe, 16% Iberia, 4% Scandinavia, <2% Eastern Europe, and <2% Southeast Europe.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

katmai

Quote from: Caliga on April 04, 2017, 10:52:56 PM
Interesting, do you know when it will be done or if it's done already?

I just checked and I forget what it said about me before, but now it thinks I am 53% British Isles, 22% West and Central Europe, 16% Iberia, 4% Scandinavia, <2% Eastern Europe, and <2% Southeast Europe.
They just started switching over yesterday, i know 4/5 of the tests my family has done have been updated.
Mine follows.

British Isles 13%
East Europe 8%
Finland 0%
Scandinavia 0%
Southeast Europe 6%
Iberia 30%
West and Central Europe 13%

North and Central America 18%
South America 0%

Ashkenazi 0%
Sephardic 9%

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

derspiess

Waiting for Ancestry DNA to process my sample.  I'm interested to see how the Genetic Communities thing plays out.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

katmai

Quote from: Valmy on April 05, 2017, 07:59:28 AM
Wow. You really are the DNA of Texas Katmai.
I didn't even show you the <2% traces
:) :lol:
QuoteEast Central Africa < 2%
North Africa < 2%
South Central Asia < 2%
Siberia < 2%

katmai

Quote from: derspiess on April 05, 2017, 08:41:19 AM
Waiting for Ancestry DNA to process my sample.  I'm interested to see how the Genetic Communities thing plays out.
For mine it showed two that knew (Latinos in Northeastern Mexico/South Texas, and Settlers of Colonial Penn) the revelation was Irish in Mayo & Sligo which will help in narrowing down where my Irish ancestors came from.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: katmai on April 05, 2017, 03:13:19 PM
Quote from: Valmy on April 05, 2017, 07:59:28 AM
Wow. You really are the DNA of Texas Katmai.
I didn't even show you the <2% traces
:) :lol:
QuoteEast Central Africa < 2%
North Africa < 2%
South Central Asia < 2%
Siberia < 2%

Siberia makes sense since that's where the Native Americans originated.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

katmai

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

katmai

Quote from: Ed Anger on April 05, 2017, 07:42:27 PM
Katmai:

40% whale
40% Manatee
20% hot air
:cry:
So mean to me, I'm quitting Languish for twice as long as Ed Anger!

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive