News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[AAR]WCW 1991 - the Challenge

Started by Syt, November 03, 2013, 11:38:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sophie Scholl

Can you add different styles of matches to events?  Everything you've done so far seems to be the standard.  Maybe go with a Royal Rumble style event or a handicap match, or a 3 tag team event or something.  Switch it up.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Barrister

Quote from: Benedict Arnold on November 18, 2013, 05:34:28 AM
Can you add different styles of matches to events?  Everything you've done so far seems to be the standard.  Maybe go with a Royal Rumble style event or a handicap match, or a 3 tag team event or something.  Switch it up.

Trouble is that gimmick matches can wear themselves out very, very quickly.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Syt

Quote from: Benedict Arnold on November 18, 2013, 05:34:28 AM

Yes, but you must also cater to the crowd. The game comes with dozens of match types - however, you want matches that appeal to your target demographic, too.

At the moment (1991), people want traditional/mainstream matches, so if you want to become a national player and challenge the WWF an ECW style product won't help. For a dark match I amped up the match intensity from 20 to 30%, and the audience found it already too physically intense.

I will post a screenshot on that later (my product vs. the demand).

That said, for the B show I generally aim to have a on average a rating of 60 to 70 (it's the show to push rookies and young talent), while for the A cards I want to aim for a rating 70 to 80 and for PPVs 85+. Think of it like current WWE's TV shows Superstars and Main Event vs. Raw or SmackDown.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

I can't show the market situation as I'm in booking mode, but this is the WCW product (which is reflecting the mass market taste):

In essence it's about family friendly sports entertainment and good vs. bad guy gimmicks.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Neil

It's funny how that worked.  Kevin Nash in 1991 was sort of ho-hum.  But with the right push and a feud against one of the top heels in the business, within three years he was the biggest name in wrestling.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Syt

It's often funny how that works. Have the right guy with the right gimmick in the right place and you have a winner. Take Steve Austin. In WCW he was underutilized. Sure, he was a heel, but that was that. In WWF he debuted as The Ringmaster. :lol: But then they ditched that and gave him his rebel persona. And even though he was a heel he was suddenly embraced by the fans.

Or The Rock. When he started as Rocky Maivia the fans hated him. It took a heel turn and inventing his arrogant, cocky Rock character that got him over.

Dustin Rhodes - a milquetoast, boring guy in WCW. In WWF a highly polarizing figure as Goldust.

And let's not get started with physical transformation. Triple H went from this in 1996:

To this a few years later:

The biggest "Give him the right gimmick and high profile matches" success has to be the Undertaker, though. Used to be Mean Mark Calloway before he donned the black suit (or robe, or whatever he's wearing these days) but by now has one of the longest running and most successful gimmicks in professional wrestling history. Funnily enough, he was known as a rather technical wrestler before the WWF with even a few aerial moves, despite his size.
—Stephen Jay Gould

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Syt on November 18, 2013, 02:27:49 PM
In essence it's about family friendly sports entertainment and good vs. bad guy gimmicks.

Almost like NASCAR.  White trash do love their stories.

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 19, 2013, 01:03:36 AM

Who doesn't love their stories? My black aunts love watching their stories. :D
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Syt

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 19, 2013, 01:03:36 AM

The fact that the WCW is popular in the South East is purely coincidental. :P
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

Vader is unfortunately out after the taping of the last show - he's suffering from Brain Fog. I hope it's nothing serious. Vader was never a charismatic performer outside the ring, but he's one of my favorite performers inside it.

WCW Saturday Night - Week 3, January 1991

Cactus Jack is shown backstage having a conversation without someone off screen. As the camera pans back, it is revealed that he is actually talking to himself, apparently hearing voices. [39]

In an extremely short match, Steve Austin defeated Cactus Jack in 4:42 by pinfall with a Stunner. [59] Steve Austin's skills improved during the match.

Ric Flair comes to the ring. He calls Sting out on their rivalry and that he's too cowardly to face him in a title match. [79]

Following last week's backstage brawl, a member from Doom and another from the Lightning Express enter the ring together. In an extremely short match, Ron Simmons defeated Brad Armstrong in 5:23 by pinfall with a Snap Scoop Powerslam. [60]

After the match Simmons and his tag team partner Butch Reed who had accompanied him to the ring are seen arguing, but it's not clear what's going on. [60]

In an extremely short match, Tommy Rich defeated Kevin Nash in 5:22 by pinfall with a Sitout Suplex Slam after a distraction from Teddy Long. Kevin Nash has improved his performance sklills. [63]

After the match, the Reverend Buddy Landel shows up and taunts Tommy Rich. [49]

Behind the scenes, the camera cuts to Sting who reacts the Flair's challenge: he accepts ... on the condition that it will be a submission match! [79]

In a match that had some good action but not much in the way of heat, Michael Wallstreet defeated Dustin Rhodes in 5:44 by pinfall with a Samoan Drop. [44]

Lex Luger is complaining once more about Bobby Eaton's interference last week. [65]

A title card hypes the match Flair vs. Sting again. [78]

In a match that had some good action but not much in the way of heat, Tracy Smothers defeated Terrence Taylor in 6:09 by pinfall with a Jaw Jacker. [40] The two workers have poor chemistry, contributing to the low score.

Sting Armstrong is interviewed by Missy Hyatt and hypes his upcoming match with Ric Flair. [76]

During the interview, Paul E. Dengerously ambushes Missy Hyatt and dumps a bucket of water over her. Her blouse clings to her ample chest. Paul E. Dengerously says that this settles once and for all who is the sexiest person in WCW. The crowd agrees, but not in the way that Paul thinks. [65]

Ric Flair, Arn Anderson, Barry Windham and Sid Vicious cut a backstage promo. [71]

In a match that had some good action but not much in the way of heat, Brian Pillman defeated Butch Reed in 7:56 by disqualification. [57]

In a match that had some good action and average heat, The Steiner Brothers defeated The Fabulous Freebirds in 9:13 when Rick Steiner defeated Michael Hayes by pinfall by using underhanded tactics. [58]

In a superb bout that had great wrestling and a sizzling crowd, Sting defeated Ric Flair in a Submission match in 16:15 by submission with a Scorpion Deathlock. The match also had a lot of interference: Sid Vicious targeted Sting, Arn Anderson attacked Sting, and finally Brian Pillman interfered against Flair.  Sting makes defence number 7 of his NWA World Heavyweight title. [77]

The show ends with an all out brawl between the Four Horsemen on one side, and Sting, Pillman and the Steiners on the other. (Pillman did not look good at this. And the hinted Sid Vicious turn is not going over well with fans, so I will cancel it.) [65]

Final rating: 74
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

Meanwhile, in the WWF ...

Why would LoD lose to Warlord and Virgil, though? :huh:
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

Scott Hall and Chris Jericho have arrived. Scott Hall joins as Midcarder, Jericho as enhancement talent. Hall gets a rebel face gimmick, Jericho a face surfer gimmick.

And we have our first PPV.

WCW CLASH OF THE CHAMPIONS XIV - Week 4, January 1991

Live from the sold out Summit in Houston, Texas!

Before the broadcast starts, an opening match: In a bout that had solid in-ring action but not much in the way of heat, The Juicer defeated Cactus Jack in 10:23 by pinfall. [23]

In a match that had some good action and average heat, The Lightning Express defeated Doom in 14:06 when Brad Armstrong defeated Butch Reed by pinfall after using a foreign object. The Lightning Express win the WCW World Tag Team titles. [64]

The Lightning Express show off their new titles for the crowd, enjoying the moment. [46]

Butch Reed and Ron Simmons are in the locker room. They argue over who was to blame for their earlier loss, with neither wanting to back down. Eventually Simmons storms out, furious. [52]

Gauntlet for the Gold 10 Man Battle Royal: The last two men in the ring have to wrestle to a "normal" conclusion (pinfall or submission). The winner will get a shot at the TV title at the next WCW Main Event taping. In a match that had some good action but not much in the way of heat, Tracy Smothers won a Gauntlet For The Gold in 16:30. The other members of the 'final four' were The Reverend Buddy Landel, Michael Wallstreet and Tommy Rich, with The Reverend Buddy Landel being the final elimination. Michael Wallstreet managed to record both the most eliminations and the longest survival time. [60]

After Buddy Landel is eliminated, he and Tommy Rich brawl outside the ring - Rich blames Landel for his elimination. [28]

The announcers put over the fact that we'll be seeing Sting, Rick Steiner, Scott Armstrong and Brian Armstrong take on Arn Anderson, Ric Flair, Barry Windham and Sid Vicious in a four-on-four lethal lockdown match. Two opponents start in a cage, and every two minutes another contestant enters. [70]

In a match that had some good action and average heat, Junkyard Dog defeated Dan Spivey in 14:52 by pinfall with a Thump. Junkyard Dog makes defence number 2 of his WCW World Television title. JYD's performance didn't look good; he was off his game and getting tired near the end. [46]

The match is over. Junkyard Dog walks over and offers his hand as a sign of respect to Spivey for putting up a great fight, but Spivey refuses the handshake and walks off. [62]

Butch Reed attacks Ron Simmons backstage, and leaves him down and out. Simmons' face turn has successfully been completed. [48]

In a bout that featured great action and a good crowd, Lex Luger defeated Stan Hansen in 17:32 by submission with a Torture Rack. During the match we also had Bobby Eaton run in and attack Luger. Lex Luger makes defence number 4 of his WCW United States title.  [66]

Lex Luger is being attacked by Bobby Eaton in the ring. Seeing the assault, Vader comes running in and chases Eaton off, saving Luger from a serious beating. This concludes Vader's face turn. [61]

In a bout that featured great action and a good crowd, Arn Anderson, Ric Flair, Barry Windham and Sid Vicious defeated Sting, Brian Pillman and The Steiner Brothers in a Lethal Lockdown match in 35:28 when Sid Vicious defeated Brian Pillman by pinfall with a Powerbomb. During the match we also had Brian Pillman turn on Rick Steiner when Rick refused to go after a knocked out opponent. Pillman is now a heel. [73]

Brian Pillman is being attacked after the match, three-on-one, by Sting, Rick Steiner and Scott Steiner in the ring after provoking them and pinning the loss on them. Seeing the assault, Steve Austin comes running in and fights all three of them off, saving Pillman from a serious beating. [50]

Overall rating: 70. Popularity increased in 16 regions.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

The PPV buy rate was 1.43 - which has the Turner network extremely unhappy. :(
—Stephen Jay Gould

Sophie Scholl

That's not good. :(  I look forward to having Hall in the ring.  Going to do an Outsiders tag team eventually?
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Syt

Eventually, yes. For now I'll have him feud with Michael Wallstreet.

I think one key to high PPV buy rates is generating high heat for your storylines - mine were all in the 60s.  :blush:
—Stephen Jay Gould