News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[AAR]WCW 1991 - the Challenge

Started by Syt, November 03, 2013, 11:38:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Updates on contracts: Steve Austin has signed a PPA contract. I hope to turn that into a fixed contract some time down the line. He starts with a Lower Midcarder push and a Heel image. As image I apply "Texan" which should fit him well. :P

Art Barr aka The Juicer has signed his extension. I hope to turn him into a mid card heel, kind of a stumbling block for folks on their way to the top.

Michael Wallstreet/Mike Rotundo also stays on for another three years.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

Benoit is signed. The recommended push for him is as Enhancement Talent aka Jobber. He will become a fixture in opening matches. I've also started negotiations with Scott Hall. And Vader has signed a fixed contract.

WCW Main Event - Week 2, January 1991

Pre-Show match: Chris Benoit loses to Norman in 5:17 by pinfall with a Running Splash. The crowd was not happy to see a jobber match. [17]

Pre-Show match: Vader defeats Tommy Dreamer in 7:33 by pinfall. [63]

The show opens with Junkyard Dog coming out to the ring and demanding a title match for the TV title against Arn Anderson. [51]

The crowd goes wild when in response Arn Anderson comes out from backstage. He ridicules Junkyard Dog, calling him a has-been, and that if he's so eager to end his career, he'll gladly oblige him. [80]

A promo video showcases a new talent in WCW before his first match: Steve Austin, the cocky Texan. [49]

In his debut, Austin clobbers Steve Armstrong, ending the match after 4:45 with a Stunner. [51]

Following up on last week's challenge, Diamond Dallas Page introduces his new protege: Kevin Nash. [56]

Kevin Nash defeats Lt. James Earl Wright in 5:22 by pinfall after dominating the match. [38]

The Lightning Express (Brad Armstrong & Tim Horner) win against the Fabulous Freebirds in 7:46. The Freebirds were disqualified when Doom storm in to attack the Express. [67]

After the match, the Express are interviewed and promise they'll find a way to deal with Doom. [45]

Main Event: Arn Anderson loses to Jankyard Dog in 12:46 by pinfall. Barry Windham was at ringside, trying to help Anderson, but the brass knuckles he tried to slip to Anderson were snatched by JD without the ref noticing and he knocked out Anderson. [64]

When Anderson comes to, he and Windham take out their frustration on Junkyard Dog. Suddenly Sting comes running out and helps the new TV Champ! [72]

Show rating: 61
As usual, the fans would like more interesting storylines.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

Current storyline plans:

- Brian Pillman is turning heel and will team up with Steve Austin sooner or later.
- Vader is turning face and will join Sting and Luger against the 4H.
- The Steiners will be removed from the Sting/4 Horsemen feud and replace Lightning Express in the Tag Team feud.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

Is there interest in me continuing this?
—Stephen Jay Gould

Neil

I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

daveracher

Birdman of Burlington

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould

Sophie Scholl

Add my voice to the chorus of interested parties.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Syt

I will have to review a number of contracts. I have about a dozen folks for the upper midcard; except one all of them are heels. And of the heels, no one can really puot in a face performance, except Sid, and Ron Simmons. I will have to replace/build talent to sort that out.

WCW Saturday Night - Week 2, January 1991

In an extremely short match, Tracy Smothers defeated Dutch Mantel in 5:03 by pinfall with a Jaw Jacker. [58]

In a new interview segment, The Mass, the Rev. Buddy Landel interviews Paul E. Dangerously who once again reminds everyone how much sexier he is than Missy Hyatt. Paul improvised his bits, which caused Landel to struggle, though, because it threw off his script. [64]

Landel pontificates about the evils in the WCW when a peeved Tommy Rich runs out and attacks him in hisinterview corner. [44]

In a match that had some good action but not much in the way of heat, Vader defeated Dustin Rhodes in 7:16 by pinfall. [67]

DDP gets in front of the cameras with Kevin Nash to hype his client and call out Teddy Long. [49]

In a bout that had solid in-ring action but not much in the way of heat, Steve Austin defeated Ranger Ross in 5:42 by pinfall with a Stunner. [50]

Missy Hyatt interviews Doom who taunt Lightning Express. [62]

Doom didn't count on the Express being on the premises. Brad Armstrong and Tim Horner attack the tag champs! [63]

In a match that had some good action and average heat, The Steiner Brothers defeated The Fabulous Freebirds in 7:37 when Rick Steiner defeated Jimmy Garvin by pinfall with a Steinerizer. [65]

In a match that had some good action and average heat, Sid Vicious defeated El Gigante in 8:32 by count out when Brian Pillman distracted Sid and brawled him ringside. Gigante and Sid both seemed off their game and didn't sell the action well. [50]

In a bout that featured great action and a good crowd, Barry Windham drew with Junkyard Dog in 10:15 following a double count out. During the match we also saw Brian Pillman run in and attack Windham, and Ric Flair also attack JYD. Brian Pillman is pretty busy tonight. [55]

In a bout that featured great action and a good crowd, Lex Luger defeated Kevin Sullivan in 12:23 by pinfall with a Running Forearm Smash following botched interference by Bobby Eaton. Lex Luger makes defence number 3 of his WCW United States title. It appears that Eaton has his eyes on Luger's title. [63]

Sting and Brian Pillman are backstage, arguing. It seems Sting isn't happy with Pillman resorting to cheap tactics of interfering in their enemies' matches. Pillman says that he'll do whatever it takes to give them an edge. [70]

Luger is interviewed backstage where he rants off about Bobby Eaton's interference in his earlier match. [73]

In a non-title bout that featured great action and great heat from the audience, Sting defeated Bobby Eaton in 8:50 by submission with a Scorpion Deathlock after Luger ran in and attacked Eaton outside the ring. [75]

Show Rating: 71
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

Ok, Vader, Sid and Ron Simmons are set to turn face, most likely at the PPV at the end of the month.

Also, I should pay more attention to the booking - Main Event is a "B" show and should feature mid card matches, while Saturday Night is an A show that should have the main eventers (with exceptions, of course).

WCW Main Event - Week 3, January 1991

Pre-show: In an extremely short match, Cactus Jack defeated Chris Benoit in 4:59 by pinfall with a Pulling Piledriver. The crowd wasn't pleased with a jobber match. I amped up the match intensity a bit which didn't go over too well, either. [16]

Pre-show: In an extremely short match, The Juicer defeated Norman in 4:52 by pinfall. [19] (Issues, see above.)

The TV show opens with an announcement of the main event: Dustin Rhodes is scheduled to fight Sid Vicious! [57]

In a match that had some good action but not much in the way of heat, Kevin Nash defeated Brian Armstrong in 6:27 by submission after interference from Diamond Dallas Page. [43]

The camera cuts to backstage where medics hunch over the motionless body of Sid Vicious. It appears he was the victim of a sneak attack! [62]

In a bout that had solid in-ring action but not much in the way of heat, The Lightning Express defeated The State Patrol in 6:37 when Brad Armstrong defeated Sgt. Buddy Lee Parker by pinfall with a Side Russian Legsweep. [49]

Vader is shown in the owner's office, demanding that  Ted Stryker give him the match against Rhodes now that Sid Vicious is out of action. Stryker doesn't have much choice but to accept. [66]

In a match that had some good action but not much in the way of heat, Brian Pillman defeated Steve Austin in 8:08 by pinfall with an Air Pillman. [53]

After the match, a bandaged Sid runs to the ring and faces off with Pillman who he claims attacked him backstage. Half a dozen other workers are necessary to keep them apart. Sid's face turn is hinted at, but it doesn't seem to go over well with fans, so I think I should reconsider. [42]

In a match that had some good action but not much in the way of heat, Vader defeated Dustin Rhodes in 9:27 by pinfall. [60]

The show closes with Vader selebrating in the ring. [48]

Final Rating: 60
—Stephen Jay Gould

PDH

I have to admit that I was grading papers during this 1991 Main Event match.  Just didn't grab me.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

CountDeMoney

Where the fuck is George The Animal Steele already, for fuck's sake?  I want turnbuckles eaten.

Barrister

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 17, 2013, 11:17:43 PM
Where the fuck is George The Animal Steele already, for fuck's sake?  I want turnbuckles eaten.

Retired in 1988 apparently. :(

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Steele
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Syt

It isn't easy setting up varied cards for a two programs every week. Especially considering some of the crap the WCW have on their roster in '91. And the big WWF names don't want to sign with me, because I'm still too small. :(
—Stephen Jay Gould