And we're back!

Main Menu

50 Not Out.

Started by mongers, November 02, 2013, 05:52:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: Savonarola on November 04, 2013, 08:59:49 AM
Quote from: Valmy on November 03, 2013, 09:22:10 PM
I have set certain goals to reach by the time I turn 40 in 2017.  That is pretty much the only reason that milestone means alot.  If I make it, it will be one triumphant feeling.

What are your 40 goals (if you don't mind sharing)?

1. Finish my EE degree
2. Get an EE job in my city
3. Have a 3rd baby
4. Buy a new house
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Ed Anger

Quote from: Savonarola on November 04, 2013, 08:59:23 AM
I celebrated my 21st birthday by working a third shift at a big box store.  That was a depressing milestone.

I had proposed to CB a week before my 40th birthday and moved to Florida a few months before that.  That was a period of change for me, but change for the better.   :)

Try working in a K-Mart electronics/TV section.  :yucky:
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Admiral Yi

21 was less of a big deal for me because DC had recently raised the drinking age to 21 but I was grandfathered in at 18.

Savonarola

Quote from: Ed Anger on November 04, 2013, 09:43:01 AM
Quote from: Savonarola on November 04, 2013, 08:59:23 AM
I celebrated my 21st birthday by working a third shift at a big box store.  That was a depressing milestone.

Try working in a K-Mart electronics/TV section.  :yucky:

I worked at the furniture section at a Meijer.  There aren't many people who come into the store after about 9 at night, but the ones who did were... different.  Some were eager to tell their life stories to lowly store clerks; others were eager to masturbate all over the Barbies. 
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Ed Anger

Ahh, Meijers. Not a bad place to pick up college chicks in the wine section.

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

KRonn

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on November 04, 2013, 09:02:38 AM
Quote from: KRonn on November 04, 2013, 07:35:05 AM
I don't think I ever really got depressed over birthdays as I got older, or as I hit milestones like 30, 40, etc. I expected that I should feel depressed but it never really happened. Probably turning 30 was the most significant number because it seemed to signal the beginning of the end of youth, the beginning of getting older.

Yes, same for me.

I'm 57 later this month, most of the future milestones are pretty cool and involve getting pensions, senior discounts and so on.

I am so glad that I planned pretty well, or well enough, on when I'd be retiring, which will be in a few years or likely less. Else with little or no IRAs or savings it would look pretty bleak. For anyone youngish here try and start saving. Retirement age will be there soon enough even though your 60s age seems so far away.

Valmy

I would love to save but I have debts to pay first  :(

I am putting money away in my pension though.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Valmy on November 04, 2013, 10:28:03 AM
I would love to save but I have debts to pay first  :(

I am putting money away in my pension though.

Same thing.

Savonarola

Quote from: Valmy on November 04, 2013, 09:11:04 AM
1. Finish my EE degree
3. Have a 3rd baby
4. Buy a new house

Good goals all around; how close are you to being done with your EE degree?
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Valmy

Quote from: Savonarola on November 04, 2013, 11:25:55 AM
1. Finish my EE degree
3. Have a 3rd baby
4. Buy a new house

Good goals all around; how close are you to being done with your EE degree?

I will be finished December 2014 (I will be 37).  One year to go!  Senior project starts next semester I have to design and actually build something.  I presume it also has to work.  Scary.

Savonarola

Quote from: Ed Anger on November 04, 2013, 10:12:22 AM

Heh, I thought only Michiganders put the invisible "s" at the end of Meijer.  (We do that for Fords, Strohs, Labatts, K-Marts and Walmarts as well.)

Savonarola

Quote from: Valmy on November 04, 2013, 11:27:16 AM
I will be finished December 2014 (I will be 37).  One year to go!  Senior project starts next semester I have to design and actually build something.  I presume it also has to work.  Scary.

Just say you'll fix it in production if it doesn't.   :bowler:

My own free (and worth every penny) advice is take the FE exam now while undergraduate engineering is still fresh.  I took it several years after graduating and had to relearn how to do basic things like balance chemical equations.

CountDeMoney

1. Finish my EE degree
3. Have a 3rd baby
4. Buy a new house

I always find it easier when it comes to lists, wait a while then take another look at it and edit it to achievable, realistic and tangible goals, like so:

Quote1. Finish my EE degree
3. Have a 3rd baby
4. Buy a new house

That way, disappointment is reduced.

derspiess

Quote from: Savonarola on November 04, 2013, 11:27:59 AM
Quote from: Ed Anger on November 04, 2013, 10:12:22 AM

Heh, I thought only Michiganders put the invisible "s" at the end of Meijer.  (We do that for Fords, Strohs, Labatts, K-Marts and Walmarts as well.)

No, that's alive & well here in Southwest Ohio as well :bleeding:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

mongers

Quote from: KRonn on November 04, 2013, 07:35:05 AM
I don't think I ever really got depressed over birthdays as I got older, or as I hit milestones like 30, 40, etc. I expected that I should feel depressed but it never really happened. Probably turning 30 was the most significant number because it seemed to signal the beginning of the end of youth, the beginning of getting older.

:yes:

I prefer those sort of things to pass quietly, without anyone making too much of a fuss.  :)

Yeah, and I'd echo what Tricky said, there Are good things to look forward to as you get older, free bus passes.  :D
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"