Iran protesters hold largest anti-US rally in years

Started by Savonarola, November 04, 2013, 11:48:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Siege

Quote from: garbon on November 04, 2013, 11:56:07 AM
Why does the average Iranian care that much? I can't summon particularly strong feelings about Iran. :unsure:

Or did the Guard just bus them in?

I would assume there might be some negative consequences for not attending.
I mean, that's the way ditactorships operate.
Though Iran seems to do a better job than most hiding the puppet wires.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Darth Wagtaros

Not necessarily.  A lot of people need to blame their shit lives on someone or something.  Given free flags to burn I'm sure they don't have to force people to do anything.
PDH!

garbon

Quote from: grumbler on November 04, 2013, 02:20:27 PM
Quote from: garbon on November 04, 2013, 11:56:07 AM
Why does the average Iranian care that much? I can't summon particularly strong feelings about Iran. :unsure:

Or did the Guard just bus them in?

:unsure:  What makes you think the average Iranian cares that much?  The actions of ten thousand people doesn't say much about the degree to which the other 77, 800,000 or so people there care.

Well presumably I'm not average either. :P
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

grumbler

Quote from: garbon on November 04, 2013, 06:25:29 PM
Well presumably I'm not average either. :P

And the average Iranian likes America and Americans, and wishes they could visit.  That's why their new government is reversing course in the nuclear project.

there are still lots of fundies in important government positions in Iran, and a small minority of the people who are still sold on fundamentalist Islam, so you will see the occasional demonstration when the fundies want to trot out some hillbillies with signs, but that isn't popular in Tehran and these aren't average Iranians in the pictures.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 04, 2013, 11:55:56 AM
Note to self: do not attend Revolutionary Guard demonstrations in the hope of picking up hotties.

Reminds me more than a little of the fugs at the Hezbollah demos a few years back.

That's because all the hot Iranian chicks come from good upper class stock and live the lives of foreign universities, ski resorts in the Alborz mountains and summer homes on the Caspian.
The ugly ones get left behind, all grumpy and Islamic and shit.

Siege

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Sheilbh

I loved this photo from after the demonstration. People waiting for a taxi with some homemade centrifuges:
Let's bomb Russia!

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017