Iran protesters hold largest anti-US rally in years

Started by Savonarola, November 04, 2013, 11:48:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Savonarola

CAN YOU SMELL WHAT THE BARACK IS COOKING?

QuoteIran protesters hold largest anti-US rally in years

November 4, 2013 | 6:13AM ET

Opponents of thawing relations with US say they will not back down, opening prospect of deeper internal rifts

Tens of thousands of demonstrators packed the streets Monday outside the former U.S. Embassy in Tehran in the biggest anti-American rally in years, a show of support for hardline opponents of President Hassan Rouhani's historic outreach to Washington.

Such protests occur every year to mark the anniversary of the 1979 seizure of the embassy by following the Islamic Revolution. But the latest demonstration was the largest in years after calls by groups, including the powerful Revolutionary Guard, for a major showing. Protestors held anti-U.S. signs and shouted "Death to America," a standard refrain that some moderate Rouhani backers have recently criticized.

The crowds also sent a message to Iran's Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, who has cautiously backed Rouhani's overtures to the U.S. and efforts to end the impasse with the West over Tehran's nuclear program.

Opponents of thawing relations with the U.S. say they will not back down, opening the prospect of deeper internal rifts that could put pressure on Khamenei to reconsider his backing of Rouhani's groundbreaking exchanges with the U.S.

In September, Rouhani accepted a call from President Barack Obama following the United Nations General Assembly in New York, where Secretary of State John Kerry held talks with Iran's foreign minister. Ties between the two countries were severed in 1979 when, ten months after the fall of the U.S.-allied shah, students stormed the U.S. embassy, taking hostage 52 staff for 444 days. There have been no U.S.-Iranian diplomatic relations since.

Critics of U.S.-Iran dialogue made their views immediately, hurling insults and eggs at Rouhani's entourage upon their return from New York. Late last month, huge banners appeared around Tehran depicting the U.S. as a sinister and deceitful adversary that seeks to weaken Iran. Tehran officials ordered the signs removed, but they appeared in poster form at the demonstration Monday outside the former embassy compound.

Protesters also stomped on images of Obama and the U.S. flag. Others carried well-known banners reading "We trample America under our feet" and "The U.S. is the Great Satan." One image showed Obama in a wrestling uniform with Star of David earrings, symbolizing Israel.

On Sunday, Khamenei appeared to chide hard-liners by denouncing any attempts to undermine Iran's nuclear negotiators. Talks with world powers are scheduled to resume Thursday in Geneva.

Diplomats "are on a difficult mission and nobody should weaken those who are on assignment," said Khamenei, according to the official IRNA news agency.

Iran seeks to have painful economic sanctions eased in exchange for concessions in its nuclear program. The West fears Iran's uranium-enrichment program could eventually produce weapons-grade material. Iran insists it only seeks reactors for energy and medical applications, but has not allowed international inspectors to visit its sites.

Outside the former embassy's brick walls – covered with anti-U.S. murals – students carried a model of a centrifuge used in uranium enrichment. A slogan on it read: "Result of resistance against sanctions: 18,000 active centrifuges in Iran."

Another banner quoted Khamenei: "The aim of sanctions is to make the Iranian nation desperate."

Khamenei's backing of Rouhani also puts him in an unfamiliar spot of having to reassure hard-liners he has not abandoned their views. Khamenei on Sunday praised the Iranian students who stormed the U.S. Embassy in 1979.

"Thirty years ago, our young people called the U.S. Embassy a 'den of spies'...It means our young people were 30 years ahead of their time," he said, a reference to a series of reports of U.S. eavesdropping on foreign leaders, including German Chancellor Angela Merkel.

Unfortunately I couldn't find an image of that poster; this is the best I could do:

Why is the Swastika a bad symbol to Holocaust deniers?  :unsure:
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Admiral Yi

Note to self: do not attend Revolutionary Guard demonstrations in the hope of picking up hotties.

Reminds me more than a little of the fugs at the Hezbollah demos a few years back.

garbon

Why does the average Iranian care that much? I can't summon particularly strong feelings about Iran. :unsure:

Or did the Guard just bus them in?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Savonarola

In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

derspiess

Quote from: garbon on November 04, 2013, 11:56:07 AM
Why does the average Iranian care that much? I can't summon particularly strong feelings about Iran. :unsure:

They live in an islamist theocracy and you don't.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

grumbler

:unsure:  What makes you think the average Iranian cares that much?  The actions of ten thousand people doesn't say much about the degree to which the other 77, 800,000 or so people there care.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Jacob

I'm guessing they bussed in people who happen to have a personal investment (e.g. are employed by, have patrons in, or desire to obtain either one) in the parts of the power structure that finds it politically useful to make an anti-US demonstration right now.

Razgovory

Quote from: Jacob on November 04, 2013, 02:23:10 PM

I'm guessing they bussed in people who happen to have a personal investment (e.g. are employed by, have patrons in, or desire to obtain either one) in the parts of the power structure that finds it politically useful to make an anti-US demonstration right now.

Probably.  The Brain's joke was pretty clever.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Darth Wagtaros

Good way to boost local business' for a day or two.  People bought lunch, booked hotels, etc.  Also made Iran a destination point for Nazi types from Europe.
PDH!

lustindarkness

That star of david swastika looks... interesting.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: lustindarkness on November 04, 2013, 04:12:25 PM
That star of david swastika looks... interesting.

Raelians have been holding it down for years...

"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Malthus

Perhaps the Iranians are saying that the US is composed of secret Raelians?  :hmm:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

lustindarkness

Quote from: Malthus on November 04, 2013, 04:26:59 PM
Perhaps the Iranians are saying that the US is composed of secret Raelians?  :hmm:

Secret?
Grand Duke of Lurkdom