Main Menu

The Tudors

Started by Queequeg, November 01, 2013, 10:58:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josephus

Quote from: Malthus on November 01, 2013, 02:40:55 PM
Quote from: Josephus on November 01, 2013, 02:37:32 PM
Quote from: Malthus on November 01, 2013, 02:22:23 PM
It just felt miscast. King Henry was always a huge guy, allegedly good-looking when young, a total ogre when older. He was never a pretty-boy type.  :lol:

True. But by the final season he does begin to look a bit more like what tradition has him looking like.

It ain't just tradition. If you go to the Tower of London, you can still see his personal suit of armour. He was one big dude, with a truly horrific cod-piece.  :lol:

yeah, alright. But my point is even in the show they did "let him go" by the final season.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

garbon

Speaking of him - has anyone caught that dreadful new Dracula show?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Josephus on November 01, 2013, 04:23:47 PM
It just felt miscast. King Henry was always a huge guy, allegedly good-looking when young, a total ogre when older. He was never a pretty-boy type.  :lol:

True. But by the final season he does begin to look a bit more like what tradition has him looking like.

It ain't just tradition. If you go to the Tower of London, you can still see his personal suit of armour. He was one big dude, with a truly horrific cod-piece.  :lol:

yeah, alright. But my point is even in the show they did "let him go" by the final season.

Agreed, I thought those final episodes were well done.  Perhaps the best of the whole series.

Also, Malthus it would be pretty hard to case one actor to undertake that kind of transformation.  I think he was well cast as the youthful energetic Henry and the makeup artists did well to portray the him at the end of his reign.

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: garbon on November 01, 2013, 04:24:59 PM
Yeah.  I'll give it maybe 2 more episodes. <_<
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

garbon

Quote from: Benedict Arnold on November 01, 2013, 04:48:11 PM
Quote from: garbon on November 01, 2013, 04:24:59 PM
Yeah.  I'll give it maybe 2 more episodes. <_<

Yeah I was thinking I'd give it one more episode as it is one of the few shows that Hulu adds on saturday morning but it seems pretty rough. His American accent is...grating and that first episode seemed quite a jumble.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Malthus

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 01, 2013, 04:47:28 PM
Quote from: Josephus on November 01, 2013, 04:23:47 PM

Agreed, I thought those final episodes were well done.  Perhaps the best of the whole series.

Also, Malthus it would be pretty hard to case one actor to undertake that kind of transformation.  I think he was well cast as the youthful energetic Henry and the makeup artists did well to portray the him at the end of his reign.

Fair enough, but even as a young guy the real King Henry was notable - he was big. Really big. He had a famous phyiscal presence that everybody remarked on - positively as a fit young dude, negatively as a bloated old ogre (at least, when safely out of his reach).

Of course you have to have actors who are not going to look exactly like the historical figure, but where a historical guy is known for something - indeed famous for it - it makes sense to cast someone who could at least plausibly fit the type.

I have nothing against Jonathan Rhys Meyers as an actor, but he simply is miscast. He's a slim, pretty-boy-type figure. The real Henry would have squashed him like a bug.  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

The Larch

Here you have the old Henry in the show, final season look IIRC:

I'd like to know if he really challenged the king of France to a wrestling match, though. Could be.  :lol:

Phillip V

I wanted to see Mary Tudor get fucked.

Josephus

Quote from: Malthus on November 01, 2013, 04:57:56 PM
I have nothing against Jonathan Rhys Meyers as an actor, but he simply is miscast. He's a slim, pretty-boy-type figure. The real Henry would have squashed him like a bug.  ;)

I do get your point. But, again, it was a made for TV titillation historical soap. They needed a good looking guy to keep the ladies interested.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Eddie Teach

Some ladies like big fellows like Liam Neeson or Russell Crowe or the guy who played Thor.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Brain

Henry VIII burped at me in the London Dungeon.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Queequeg

So did Henry VIII just have the worst genes ever?  11 stillbirths or near stillbirths, and of his three living children 1 died of cancer in his teens and the other in her 40s.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

HVC

I thought the going theory is that he had an STD ( syphilis?) that he gave his lady friends which caused the still births. 
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Phillip V

Quote from: Queequeg on November 02, 2013, 03:36:42 PM
So did Henry VIII just have the worst genes ever?  11 stillbirths or near stillbirths, and of his three living children 1 died of cancer in his teens and the other in her 40s.

deus vult

Queequeg

The later seasons are a lot better, but now I just want to watch Henry humiliated and dead because he killed my beloved Cromwell.   :ultra:
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."