News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Historical Accuracy in TV and Film

Started by jimmy olsen, October 31, 2013, 12:02:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you demand Historical Accuracy in the TV shows and Movies you watch?

Yes! 100% If it's a movie is about the Illiad it has to be in Archaic Greek with subtitles!
3 (7.5%)
No, I don't care about it at all. Xena: Warrior Princess is the height of historical fiction.
7 (17.5%)
As long as there's nothing too glaringly wrong, it's fine.
30 (75%)

Total Members Voted: 39

Queequeg

Wheren't they charging out of a wooded area pretty close to the guns? Some of the horses surviving doesn't seem impossible.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Valmy

Quote from: Queequeg on October 31, 2013, 09:22:13 AM
Wheren't they charging out of a wooded area pretty close to the guns? Some of the horses surviving doesn't seem impossible.

No just the opposite, they were charging through an open field towards a wooded area where the Germans had their machine guns hidden.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Tamas

Please people that is the most ridiculously cheesy movie ever made, do not discuss it as it was worth wasting breath on.

Valmy

Quote from: Tamas on October 31, 2013, 09:34:59 AM
Please people that is the most ridiculously cheesy movie ever made, do not discuss it as it was worth wasting breath on.

Fair enough.  I was just bringing it up for the hilarious language thing.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Razgovory

I have long since given up on expecting historical accuracy on the History Channel, let alone a historical movie.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

lustindarkness

Quote from: Razgovory on October 31, 2013, 09:48:05 AM
I have long since given up on expecting historical accuracy on the History Channel, let alone a historical movie.

What? Now you'll tell me that Ancient Aliens is not historical accurate?
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Admiral Yi

My biggest beef with historical inaccuracy is with tactics rather than hard ware.  Two roman armies march towards each other, then they break up into groups of two and start dueling each other.

Valmy

At least there is no pretense on the history channel anymore. 

grumbler

Quote from: Tamas on October 31, 2013, 05:52:41 AM
what is there to like in Warhorse, srsly? Apart from Spielberg making the parody of his own life`s work himself.

I can see it not translating well to a non-English-speaking audience, but if you thought the movie a parody, maybe you might not want to watch English-language films at all.  Monty Python would blow your mind.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Razgovory

Quote from: lustindarkness on October 31, 2013, 09:52:54 AM

What? Now you'll tell me that Ancient Aliens is not historical accurate?

It's like the opposite of history.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

grumbler

Quote from: Tamas on October 31, 2013, 09:34:59 AM
So not worth your breath that you post about it repeatedly?  :lol:

I didn't care for the movie, but I think you missed its point entirely.  It isn't even close to the cheesiest movie ever made, though it was pretty cheesy.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

KRonn

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 31, 2013, 09:53:40 AM
My biggest beef with historical inaccuracy is with tactics rather than hard ware.  Two roman armies march towards each other, then they break up into groups of two and start dueling each other.

Yeah, agreed. They fought in formation as much as possible, which is one factor why the Roman armies were so effective. Same thing for other ancient armies of course. But in some movies they show formations and it not only looks right, it makes perfect sense as to the reason for using them. The movie 300 showed use of formations which is good but for me that movie fell apart with all the uber moves by individual Greek soldiers when not in formation.

In the beginning of the movie "The Eagle" a badly outnumbered Roman force formed testudo, turtled up, and that showed a very effective tactic. So movies do very well if they can portray some proper tactics as the tactics the ancient armies used were often so very effective. I cringe whenever I see well trained armies devolve into individual fighting at the start of battle.

Agelastus

Option 3, with, as has been mentioned, Braveheart being the classic example of a film that does things the wrong way.

And stupidly so to.

For example, in a film where they portray the English as being generally stupid, arrogant and borderline evil...they filmed the battle scenes for Stirling Bridge with no bridge in sight.

Stirling Bridge is a classic example of stupidity and arrogance on the English side ("Hey, let's cross this bridge two at a time with the Scottish Army drawn up in plain sight and waiting for us over there on the other side.") It's not something that has to be made up, or interpreted, or otherwise twisted as so much else was in that film, it really happened and fitted with their general portrayal of the English. And they ignored it.

Admittedly, I am trying to think of a historical film that actually does things right. Television tends to be much better at making acceptable "historical" historical series.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Razgovory

Quote from: Agelastus on October 31, 2013, 10:07:51 AM

For example, in a film where they portray the English as being generally stupid, arrogant and borderline evil...they filmed the battle scenes for Stirling Bridge with no bridge in sight.

And?

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Agelastus on October 31, 2013, 10:07:51 AM
Admittedly, I am trying to think of a historical film that actually does things right.

A Bridge Too Far.