Would you have trusted your parents to make an arranged marriage for you?

Started by jimmy olsen, October 30, 2013, 12:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Would you have trusted your parents to make an arranged marriage for you?

Yes, with regards to both personal compatibility and wealth/familial alliances.
11 (25%)
Only in regards to wealth/familial alliances.
7 (15.9%)
Only in regards to personal compatibility.
0 (0%)
Not at all
24 (54.5%)
My parents actually aranged my marriage! (Tell us how it went!)
2 (4.5%)

Total Members Voted: 43

jimmy olsen

If you had grown up in a more traditional society, with your and your parent's personalities and relationship being the same, would you have trusted them to make an arranged marriage?

Feel free to elaborate on why, or why not.

EDIT: DAMN IT! Where the fuck did that last d come from in option 5!?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Eddie Teach

I can't really imagine myself being willing to let someone else pick for me.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

Syt

My parents weren't able to plan a budget for the upcoming month; no way I would have trusted them to arrange a marriage.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 30, 2013, 12:43:16 AM
I can't really imagine myself being willing to let someone else pick for me.
Yeah, but for most people that's how it was from the invention of agriculture on until the 19th century or later depending on the country.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Sheilbh on October 30, 2013, 12:43:38 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on October 30, 2013, 12:36:09 AM
EDIT: DAMN IT! Where the fuck did that last d come from in option 5!?
Who can say?
D key is next to the E key, I was typing fast! Who knew this could happen! :weep:

1 Karma Chameleon point

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

CountDeMoney

Oh, hell no.  Mom would've picked someone just like Mom.  Fuck that noise.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 30, 2013, 01:09:32 AM
Oh, hell no.  Mom would've picked someone just like Mom.  Fuck that noise.
Aren't you a big Momma's boy though? :yeahright:

1 Karma Chameleon point

Ideologue

My dad has a demonstrated affinity for overweight women.  I simply cannot trust his judgment.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Camerus

Versus what?  The village elder choosing for me?  I'd trust my parents in the matter more than anyone else, save versus my own judgement.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Pitiful Pathos on October 30, 2013, 01:49:33 AM
Versus what?  The village elder choosing for me?  I'd trust my parents in the matter more than anyone else, save versus my own judgement.
Wasn't really setting up the question in that way, just wanted to know if you guys thought you parents would do a good job.

1 Karma Chameleon point

Iormlund

:lol:

No. Not even my sister, who would most likely do a much better job.

Syt

Quote from: jimmy olsen on October 30, 2013, 02:09:54 AM
Quote from: Pitiful Pathos on October 30, 2013, 01:49:33 AM
Wasn't really setting up the question in that way, just wanted to know if you guys thought you parents would do a good job.

My parents had a shotgun wedding in 1960 when my Mom was 8 months pregnant.

Considering that I grew up seeing them tolerating each other (I don't recall any displays of affection for one another, but also no fighting) because the family was too poor to go through a divorce, I wouldn't trust either of them with picking a partner for me; doubly so because I never felt compelled to share preferences beyond food with them (and with my Dad not even that much).
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.