You cannot make this shit up - Two football officials arrested.

Started by Berkut, October 29, 2013, 10:01:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Well, cops are not notorious for their smarts and are notorious for their egos, so none of this surprises me.  Just as I am sure that the city won't be surprised when they get sued for false imprisonment.  But I bet the cop keeps his job, because it is hard to find people dumb and egotistical enough to replace fired cops.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Neil

I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

CountDeMoney

Yup, charges dropped, city gets sued and pays, cop goes on to nightstick darkies until his pension kicks in.

Razgovory

Quote from: DGuller on October 29, 2013, 10:11:18 AM
It should really be a criminal offense to abuse one's authority like that.  Giving one citizen legitimate control over another citizen should come with great responsibility, and merely having that authority removed if you're caught abusing it is not enough of a responsibility.

It's a necessary evil, Football games need officials or there would just be chaos on the field. :(
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Barrister

Quote from: grumbler on October 29, 2013, 11:58:41 AM
Well, cops are not notorious for their smarts and are notorious for their egos, so none of this surprises me.  Just as I am sure that the city won't be surprised when they get sued for false imprisonment.  But I bet the cop keeps his job, because it is hard to find people dumb and egotistical enough to replace fired cops.

Nah.  Cop makes (is ordered to) a grovelling apology.  Police benevolent association makes a nice donation to the high school football team.  Matter gets swept under the rug because you don't want to distract from high school football.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Berkut

Quote from: Razgovory on October 29, 2013, 12:01:30 PM
Quote from: DGuller on October 29, 2013, 10:11:18 AM
It should really be a criminal offense to abuse one's authority like that.  Giving one citizen legitimate control over another citizen should come with great responsibility, and merely having that authority removed if you're caught abusing it is not enough of a responsibility.

It's a necessary evil, Football games need officials or there would just be chaos on the field. :(

OK.

That is actually pretty damn funny.

Back to ignoring Raz.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Brain

Quote from: lustindarkness on October 29, 2013, 12:02:41 PM
Quote from: The Brain on October 29, 2013, 11:47:26 AM
Quote from: lustindarkness on October 29, 2013, 11:45:52 AM
Who won the game?

The law.

But justice loses.

[BB] Does.. not.. compute... *bzzt* gaol always corr-corr-correct *bzzt* Machiavellian... *bzzt* *croink* Daisy, Daisy... *kaboom* [/BB]
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Berkut

Quote from: Razgovory on October 29, 2013, 12:07:04 PM
Not entirely sure if Berkut realized that was a joke.

Of course I do - that is why I said it was pretty damn funny.

0 rows returned

Berkut

Quote from: Barrister on October 29, 2013, 12:03:58 PM
Quote from: grumbler on October 29, 2013, 11:58:41 AM

Nah.  Cop makes (is ordered to) a grovelling apology.  Police benevolent association makes a nice donation to the high school football team.  Matter gets swept under the rug because you don't want to distract from high school football.

And meanwhile tow guys doing their job have arrest records and mugshots.

I would sue.

0 rows returned

grumbler

Quote from: Barrister on October 29, 2013, 12:03:58 PM

Nah.  The refs don't work for the football team, so don't give a shit about PBA donations to it.  Despite pleas from the DA to sweep matters under the rug, the referees go for the lawsuit (and why wouldn't they?  They aren't even local, necessarily). 

The best part about this?  Apparently, the cop wasn't there for crowd control, he was just watching the game.  And he is the city's internal affairs investigator!  :lol:

The only thing worse than a cop you rent is a cop you don't.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

CountDeMoney

Quote from: grumbler on October 29, 2013, 12:09:57 PM

The best part about this?  Apparently, the cop wasn't there for crowd control, he was just watching the game.  And he is the city's internal affairs investigator!  :lol:

The only thing worse than a cop you rent is a cop you don't.

They get dumber the farther up the food chain they go.  Honestly.  But you knew that.

Neil

Yeah.  This cop has made them unemployable.  They need to sue, and sue big.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

lustindarkness

I don't have time to read up on this, can someone explain to me:
The cop was working security for the game or not? Was he in uniform? Was he also on the field instead of behind the fence?
Grand Duke of Lurkdom