California and west coast flooded by radiation?

Started by viper37, October 29, 2013, 12:39:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

I haven't checked to see if others talked about it, and I don't really know this blog/site.
[urlhttp://ukiahcommunityblog.wordpress.com/2013/10/22/fukushima-28-signs-that-the-west-coast-is-being-absolutely-fried-with-nuclear-radiation/]Fukishima: 28 signs the west coast is being absolutely fried with nuclear radiation

I've always tought California would one day rejoin Vancouver and we could grant them asylum in our great country, but as it is, there might not be a California by this time :(

Ok, seriously, I can't seem to corroborate this info from a trusted source.  Take it as it is, it might a total green whackjob who wrote this.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Grinning_Colossus

I'm in California and can confirm. Ghouls and radscorpions everywhere.
Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Grinning_Colossus on October 29, 2013, 03:20:20 AM
I'm in California and can confirm. Ghouls and radscorpions everywhere.

Points for Fallout reference. :)

garbon

QuoteI've always tought California would one day rejoin Vancouver

:huh:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

HVC

It's easy to forget Washington and Oregon exist. Especially Oregon.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Neil

I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

katmai

Quote from: Neil on October 29, 2013, 08:16:08 AM
That blog is hilarious.

I refuse to check out blogs when they aren't linked properly :contract:
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Josquius

If you see a news report with Fukushima in the title then 99.99% of the time it is bollocks.
Even most of Fukushima prefecture is fine let alone trouble reaching the Americas. Jesus.
██████
██████
██████

The Brain

For the fuck of it. From the horribly botched OP:

Quote1. Polar bears, seals and walruses along the Alaska coastline are suffering from fur loss and open sores...

Wildlife experts are studying whether fur loss and open sores detected in nine polar bears in recent weeks is widespread and related to similar incidents among seals and walruses.

The bears were among 33 spotted near Barrow, Alaska, during routine survey work along the Arctic coastline. Tests showed they had "alopecia, or loss of fur, and other skin lesions," the U.S. Geological Survey said in a statement.

Hair loss can be a bitch (just ask the typical Languish male) but it is rarely caused by radioactivity, since it requires very high doses. I don't think I have to explain how you might get a rash in a way that doesn't include radioactivity.

Quote2. There is an epidemic of sea lion deaths along the California coastline...

At island rookeries off the Southern California coast, 45 percent of the pups born in June have died, said Sharon Melin, a wildlife biologist for the National Marine Fisheries Service based in Seattle. Normally, less than one-third of the pups would die.   It's gotten so bad in the past two weeks that the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration declared an "unusual mortality event."

This may or may not be true, but there is no known way it could be caused by radioactivity from Fukushima.

Quote3. Along the Pacific coast of Canada and the Alaska coastline, the population of sockeye salmon is at a historic low.  Many are blaming Fukushima.

I don't trust the scientific opinion of sockey salmon.

Quote4. Something is causing fish all along the west coast of Canada to bleed from their gills, bellies and eyeballs.

This poster is bleeding from his eyeballs. Funny that.

Quote5. A vast field of radioactive debris from Fukushima that is approximately the size of California has crossed the Pacific Ocean and is starting to collide with the west coast.

If the radioactivity is spread out over a region the size of California then it probably is. It is unclear why the physical size of it should be a concern.

Quote6. It is being projected that the radioactivity of coastal waters off the U.S. west coast could double over the next five to six years.

If true this means there is no danger whatsoever from radioactivity in the waters off the left coast. What a relief.

Quote7. Experts have found very high levels of cesium-137 in plankton living in the waters of the Pacific Ocean between Hawaii and the west coast.

Very high compared to what? Environut's IQ?

Quote8. One test in California found that 15 out of 15 bluefin tuna were contaminated with radiation from Fukushima.

You can measure incredibly small amounts of radioactivity. The presence means little. Fish caught in Sweden has radiation from Chernobyl. Not dangerous.

Quote9. Back in 2012, the Vancouver Sun reported that cesium-137 was being found in a very high percentage of the fish that Japan was selling to Canada...

• 73 percent of mackerel tested

• 91 percent of the halibut

• 92 percent of the sardines

• 93 percent of the tuna and eel

• 94 percent of the cod and anchovies

• 100 percent of the carp, seaweed, shark and monkfish

See above.

Quote10. Canadian authorities are finding extremely high levels of nuclear radiation in certain fish samples...

Some fish samples tested to date have had very high levels of radiation: one sea bass sample collected in July, for example, had 1,000 becquerels per kilogram of cesium.

Oh noes. If I eat this fish nothing will happen. And considering the source the measurement may well be for a dried sample.

Quote11. Some experts believe that we could see very high levels of cancer along the west coast just from people eating contaminated fish...

"Look at what's going on now: They're dumping huge amounts of radioactivity into the ocean — no one expected that in 2011," Daniel Hirsch, a nuclear policy lecturer at the University of California-Santa Cruz, told Global Security Newswire. "We could have large numbers of cancer from ingestion of fish."

Possibly, but not because of Fukushima radioactivity.

Quote12. BBC News recently reported that radiation levels around Fukushima are "18 times higher" than previously believed.

And?

Quote13. An EU-funded study concluded that Fukushima released up to 210 quadrillion becquerels of cesium-137 into the atmosphere.

Atoms are tiny.

Quote14. Atmospheric radiation from Fukushima reached the west coast of the United States within a few days back in 2011.

Which travel time wouldn't be noteworthy to this source?

Quote15. At this point, 300 tons of contaminated water is pouring into the Pacific Ocean from Fukushima every single day.

Containing how much radioactivity? And as luck would have it the Pacific is big.

Quote16. A senior researcher of marine chemistry at the Japan Meteorological Agency's Meteorological Research Institute says that "30 billion becquerels of radioactive cesium and 30 billion becquerels of radioactive strontium" are being released into the Pacific Ocean from Fukushima every single day.

OK?

Quote17. According to Tepco, a total of somewhere between 20 trillion and 40 trillion becquerels of radioactive tritium have gotten into the Pacific Ocean since the Fukushima disaster first began.

Ah, one of the least dangerous of radioactive isotopes. The horror.

Quote18. According to a professor at Tokyo University, 3 gigabecquerels of cesium-137 are flowing into the port at Fukushima Daiichi every single day.

OK?

Quote19. It has been estimated that up to 100 times as much nuclear radiation has been released into the ocean from Fukushima than was released during the entire Chernobyl disaster.

So the West Coast won't be dangerously affected by radiation? Good.

Quote20. One recent study concluded that a very large plume of cesium-137 from the Fukushima disaster will start flowing into U.S. coastal waters early next year...

Ocean simulations showed that the plume of radioactive cesium-137 released by the Fukushima disaster in 2011 could begin flowing into U.S. coastal waters starting in early 2014 and peak in 2016.
Oh no, not the plume. Anything but the plume.

Quote21. It is being projected that significant levels of cesium-137 will reach every corner of the Pacific Ocean by the year 2020.

Significant how?

Quote22. It is being projected that the entire Pacific Ocean will soon "have cesium levels 5 to 10 times higher" than what we witnessed during the era of heavy atomic bomb testing in the Pacific many decades ago.

So we're safe then? Good.

Quote23. The immense amounts of nuclear radiation getting into the water in the Pacific Ocean has caused environmental activist Joe Martino to issue the following warning...

Your days of eating Pacific Ocean fish are over.

Or he will shoot me in the face?

Quote24. The Iodine-131, Cesium-137 and Strontium-90 that are constantly coming from Fukushima are going to affect the health of those living the the northern hemisphere for a very, very long time.  Just consider whatHarvey Wasserman had to say about this...

Iodine-131, for example, can be ingested into the thyroid, where it emits beta particles (electrons) that damage tissue. A plague of damaged thyroids has already been reported among as many as 40 percent of the children in the Fukushima area. That percentage can only go higher. In developing youngsters, it can stunt both physical and mental growth. Among adults it causes a very wide range of ancillary ailments, including cancer.

Strontium-90's half-life is around 29 years. It mimics calcium and goes to our bones.

And the haf-life of I-131 is 8 days. The horror.

Quote25. According to a recent Planet Infowars report, the California coastline is being transformed into "a dead zone"...

The California coastline is becoming like a dead zone.

If you haven't been to a California beach lately, you probably don't know that the rocks are unnaturally CLEAN – there's hardly any kelp, barnacles, sea urchins, etc. anymore and the tide pools are similarly eerily devoid of crabs, snails and other scurrying signs of life... and especially as compared to 10 – 15 years ago when one was wise to wear tennis shoes on a trip to the beach in order to avoid cutting one's feet on all the STUFF of life – broken shells, bones, glass, driftwood, etc.

There are also days when I am hard-pressed to find even a half dozen seagulls and/or terns on the county beach.

You can still find a few gulls trolling the picnic areas and some of the restaurants (with outdoor seating areas) for food, of course, but, when I think back to 10 – 15 years ago, the skies and ALL the beaches were literally filled with seagulls and the haunting sound of their cries both day and night...

NOW it's unnaturally quiet.

If only.

Quote26. A study conducted last year came to the conclusion that radiation from the Fukushima nuclear disaster could negatively affect human life along the west coast of North America from Mexico to Alaska "for decades".

A bogus study? Who has ever heard of such a thing?

Quote27. According to the Wall Street Journal, it is being projected that the cleanup of Fukushima could take up to 40 years to complete.

OK?

Quote28. Yale Professor Charles Perrow is warning that if the cleanup of Fukushima is not handled with 100% precision that humanity could be threatened "for thousands of years"...

Conditions in the unit 4 pool, 100 feet from the ground, are perilous, and if any two of the rods touch it could cause a nuclear reaction that would be uncontrollable. The radiation emitted from all these rods, if they are not continually cool and kept separate, would require the evacuation of surrounding areas including Tokyo. Because of the radiation at the site the 6,375 rods in the common storage pool could not be continuously cooled; they would fission and all of humanity will be threatened, for thousands of years.

If he really said that (and Yale being Yale he might have) he knows nothing about radioactivity.

QuoteAre you starting to understand why so many people are so deeply concerned about what is going on at Fukushima?

I know exactly why they are concerned.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

viper37

Quote from: garbon on October 29, 2013, 07:52:32 AM

Earthquakes.  The Big One.  California gets seperated from the US, slowly drifts northward.  It's a joke I heard from a geologist once, when I was young.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Malthus

... and now we know how, besides suggestive goat pics, to get the Brain excited.  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Razgovory

Quote from: garbon on October 29, 2013, 07:52:32 AM

He's not that good a teacher.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017