News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

SciCast

Started by Maximus, October 24, 2013, 03:22:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maximus

This came up in a conference call today. It's a sort of spin-off of one of the projects we're working on. It is targeted at the scientific community but open to anyone. Thought some of you might be interested.

http://signup.scicast.org/

QuoteSciCast is part of a research program funded by the U.S. Government about how to make better forecasts. Our contribution has been to develop a technologically advanced type of prediction market that is able to intelligently correlate predictions and have them influence each other.

Prediction markets are a way to understand the probability of an event occurring, using the forecasts of many participants. For the past two years, thousands of people have participated in our prediction market to make forecasts about geopolitical events.

This year, we'll be turning our attention to science and technology and hope to attract an even larger group of participants.

By participating, you'll join a community of people being recruited from professional societies, universities, online groups, and corporations from around the world. You'll also be the first to view forecasts for a range of scientific and technological breakthroughs.

In addition to making forecasts alongside your peers, we're also recruiting individuals to join an exclusive working group that will decide what questions are asked on the site.

Drop us a line if you would like to be considered for this group, and tell us what topics you're interested in generating questions about.

mongers

I predict this will fail to excite Languishites.  :(
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Razgovory

Never pegged you for a science guy.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ideologue

I've never been wrong about general societal prognostications, except for HD-DVDs.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Razgovory

Quote from: Ideologue on October 24, 2013, 03:35:20 PM
I've never been wrong about general societal prognostications, except for HD-DVDs.

Well there was that John Edwards thing.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Interesting.  I gave them my email.  I need to beat around here a bit and see if there is any interest in participating.

Ideologue

Quote from: Razgovory on October 24, 2013, 03:40:52 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on October 24, 2013, 03:35:20 PM

Well there was that John Edwards thing.

I said he was awesome and was proven right, time and again.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Eddie Teach

Winner : Best Hair, DNC 2004, 2008
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Maximus

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?