News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

CSI Venezuela

Started by Savonarola, October 22, 2013, 02:15:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

celedhring

Well, it actually might be a close election in a way, so there's still a window for cheating. The opposition has got 107 MPs, 5 short of the two thirds majority they need to override Maduro - who can ignore parliament using his emergency powers. There are exactly 5 MPs that have yet to be assigned.

celedhring

Well, the last 5 MPs have been adjudicated to the opposition, so now they have the majority to dismantle the whole shebang. We'll see what happens come January.

celedhring

Quote from: celedhring on December 08, 2015, 08:29:23 PM
Well, the last 5 MPs have been adjudicated to the opposition, so now they have the majority to dismantle the whole shebang. We'll see what happens come January.

The ruling Chavista party has challenged the election of 7 MPs in front of the Venezuelan Supreme Court (which I presume they control), who has taken up the issue. This will prevent 4 of these MPs from sitting at the Congress until the issue is resolved, which for now will prevent the opposition from having the needed supermajority to push for regime change.

celedhring

I will keep my monologue going by saying that Maduro has declared the state of economic emergency, which enables him to rule by decree for two months. He is set to appear in front of the opposition-dominated assembly tomorrow.

Eddie Teach

Meet the new boss, same as the old boss.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on January 15, 2016, 10:10:10 PM

Wouldn't it be appropriate to wait for them to do at least one dumbass thing before you start badmouthing them?

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 16, 2016, 02:39:56 AM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on January 15, 2016, 10:10:10 PM

Wouldn't it be appropriate to wait for them to do at least one dumbass thing before you start badmouthing them?

Maduro hasn't done enough dumbass things for you already?  :huh:

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on January 16, 2016, 03:41:05 AM
Maduro hasn't done enough dumbass things for you already?  :huh:

My bad.  I thought you were dissin the opposition in parliament.

Eddie Teach

No, I'm just not too confident that they'll manage to take power under the circumstances.

citizen k

Valmy

Quote from: citizen k on June 06, 2016, 04:36:28 PM

Venezuelan woman shot dead during latest looting
http://www.reuters.com/article/us-venezuela-looting-idUSKCN0YS1XJ

Quote"These are plans orchestrated by the right wing," he said. "We hope to capture the person responsible."

Government claims food riots are a planned right wing conspiracy.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

DGuller

Every little thing there is a right-wing conspiracy.  If those morons picked one conspiracy and focused on it, Chavez would be a distant memory now.

derspiess

May be impossible to know, but I'd like to get a feel for how much support Maduro still has from the erstwhile Chavista base of lower class folks.  They're hungry, and I can't imagine they'd continue to fall for the VRWC line by this point. 
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on June 07, 2016, 10:40:56 AM
May be impossible to know, but I'd like to get a feel for how much support Maduro still has from the erstwhile Chavista base of lower class folks.  They're hungry, and I can't imagine they'd continue to fall for the VRWC line by this point. 

One has to ask themselves how the right wing can still be so influential and all powerful in controlling events when they have been out of the government since 2002.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

derspiess

And substantially exiled away to North America and Europe-- where they are doing pretty well for themselves.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall