Main Menu

CSI Venezuela

Started by Savonarola, October 22, 2013, 02:15:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on May 02, 2017, 11:06:24 AM
Quote from: frunk on April 27, 2017, 12:49:06 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 27, 2017, 12:47:25 PM
Can't remember where he ended up but Carter famously denied entry to the Shah.

I think he ended up in France (edit: nope, Egypt).

The Iranian who ended up in France for a while was Khomeiny.  :frusty:

a stupid move that was. Almost as stupid as all the left-wingers supporting him while he was pretty clear about what would happen if he gained power.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on May 02, 2017, 01:08:07 PM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on May 02, 2017, 11:06:24 AM
Quote from: frunk on April 27, 2017, 12:49:06 PM

I think he ended up in France (edit: nope, Egypt).

The Iranian who ended up in France for a while was Khomeiny.  :frusty:

a stupid move that was. Almost as stupid as all the left-wingers supporting him while he was pretty clear about what would happen if he gained power.

French Wiki says he's entered with a tourist visa, but did not ask for asylum. Lots of  :frusty: material in that article.

The communists, the good ole USSR, thought they could use him for their purposes. We all know how it ended.

derspiess

Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on May 02, 2017, 01:08:07 PM

They'd do it again in a heartbeat.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

And he famously allowed him entry.

And it was not a "comfortable exile", BB, you twat.  He was bouncing from country to country, dying from incredibly nasty cancer.

Savonarola

Glorious leader Maduro has found a new weapon in the eternal war against yesterday's fascists:  Reggaeton
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Ed Anger

I like Maduro's track suit. He'll look fabulous hanging from a streetlight.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

DGuller

Meh, not my cup of tea.  Tracksuits without white stripes just look off somehow.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: DGuller on July 25, 2017, 10:16:15 PM
Tracksuits without white stripes just look off somehow.

Yeah, that's pretty much just a warm up suit.  GO SHOOT SOME THREES BEFORE THE GAME

Admiral Yi

QuoteBy Teresa Rivas

The situation in Venezuela continues to deteriorate, with the U.S. ordering family members of U.S. embassy works to come home and warning travelers against going to the troubled South American nation.

Late yesterday, the State Department said that embassy family members should leave Venezuela, citing Sunday's vote to elect an assembly that would rewrite the constitution. As The Wall Street Journal reports, Venezuela's opposition is boycotting the move and Washington warns the election could undermine the nation's democracy. The U.S. plans to limit the movements of employees who stay.

The news came in a travel warning that advised against Americans going to the country due to "social unrest, violent crime and pervasive food and medicine shortages."

The news comes after the U.S. leveled sanctions against 13 high-ranking Venezuelans for alleged corruption, human-rights violations and undermining the country's democracy.

Just last week, opposition judges were put in place in an attempt to undermine Sunday's vote, but the government called it treason.

Dow Jones Newswires

Savonarola

Alstom has some projects in Venezuela.  Until recently they were maintained out of Brazil, but the dictate just came down that not even Brazilians are allowed to travel to Venezuela (Americans haven't been allowed to for about five years.)

We do have a small crew in Venezuela to handle existing products.  To our surprise we did have an order for a yard switch from a customer in Venezuela.  (A switch in rail is what changes the direction of the track so you can go onto a siding or a second line.  A yard switch is one designed to go onto multiple sidings, such as you would find in a rail yard.)  Yesterday we got a request to delay delivery for a year; so that's our customers guess to how long the current situation will last.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Valmy

Oh we are banned from Venezuela? Huh. What did we do in 2012 to bring that on?

I hope your customer is right.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Savonarola

Quote from: Valmy on July 28, 2017, 03:36:07 PM
Oh we are banned from Venezuela? Huh. What did we do in 2012 to bring that on?

I hope your customer is right.

I meant Alstom has forbidden its US employees to travel to Venezuela on business.

derspiess

My wife handles inside sales for Latin America in her company.  She says oddly enough, sales to Venezuela have been pretty steady.  She demands full payment before anything is shipped, but they always pay on time.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on July 28, 2017, 04:09:26 PM
My wife handles inside sales for Latin America in her company.  She says oddly enough, sales to Venezuela have been pretty steady.  She demands full payment before anything is shipped, but they always pay on time.

Yes, faltering nation-states usually deal strictly in cash.

Savonarola

Quote from: derspiess on July 28, 2017, 04:09:26 PM

They paid for our switch as well; they just don't want to bring it into the country yet; presumably their afraid that it will be stolen and sold for scrap. 

I just heard on Voz de América that Avianca (Colombia's national carrier) cancelled all flights into Venezuela due to the instability.