And we're back!

Main Menu

CSI Venezuela

Started by Savonarola, October 22, 2013, 02:15:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on February 25, 2014, 02:50:24 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on February 25, 2014, 02:47:22 PM
Brazil has been relatively okay for the last decade. If that continues, then maybe it's influence help stabilize the rest of the continent.

The US has been pretty stable for the last century and a half, hasn't helped Mexico much.
Mexico's economy has greatly increased because of US trade. The current instability is directly due to US influence, if it weren't for the American war on drugs Mexico would be fine.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Eddie Teach

I don't think the War on Drugs caused the loser of a Mexican Presidential election to camp out in Mexico City for a month.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Admiral Yi

Venezuela is not Ukraine.  All indications are it is a minority of the population opposed to Maduro.  And the wealthier minority, hence automatically less sympathetic.

derspiess

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 25, 2014, 03:01:27 PM
Venezuela is not Ukraine.  All indications are it is a minority of the population opposed to Maduro.  And the wealthier minority, hence automatically less sympathetic.

What indications are these? 
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Admiral Yi

derspiess

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 25, 2014, 03:03:47 PM
Stuff I've read. 

I'd bet that around half, if not more than half, are opposed to Maduro.  He only won the election last year 50.6% to 49.1%, and that was likely with some measure of fraud or other hi-jinks.  Plus, things have gotten much worse since the election so if the 50.6% was legit, it's not hard to imagine him having lost some of that.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

MadImmortalMan

Killing people in the streets and running out of basic staples tends to put ice on anybody's popularity.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Admiral Yi

Quote from: derspiess on February 25, 2014, 03:07:11 PM
I'd bet that around half, if not more than half, are opposed to Maduro.  He only won the election last year 50.6% to 49.1%, and that was likely with some measure of fraud or other hi-jinks.  Plus, things have gotten much worse since the election so if the 50.6% was legit, it's not hard to imagine him having lost some of that.

Point taken.  However, there is a difference between voting for the opposition and supporting violent street protest.

derspiess

Don't do that, Yi.  :(

At first you said "opposed to Maduro" and now you're saying "supporting violent street protest". 

Admiral Yi

Sheilbh

Quote from: jimmy olsen on February 25, 2014, 02:47:22 PMBrazil has been relatively okay for the last decade. If that continues, then maybe it's influence help stabilize the rest of the continent.
Brazil's nothing like Venezuela :mellow:

QuotePoint taken.  However, there is a difference between voting for the opposition and supporting violent street protest.
I'm not so sure. Once things get that bad.
Let's bomb Russia!

derspiess

The US expelled 3 Venezuelan diplomats. 

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/02/25/us-venezuela-protests-idUSBREA1O12B20140225

Nice little nugget from Maduro:

Quote"U.S. society needs to know the truth about Venezuela," Maduro said in the latest of his daily speeches to the nation at a meeting with state governors late on Monday.

"They (Americans) think we're killing each other. They think we can't go out to the corner. They're asking for U.S. military intervention in Venezuela. What madness! Should that happen, you and I will be out with a gun defending our territory."

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on February 25, 2014, 05:50:40 PM
Quote"They (Americans) think we're killing each other. They think we can't go out to the corner. They're asking for U.S. military intervention in Venezuela. What madness! Should that happen, you and I will be out with a gun defending our territory."

LOL I would sooner see us intervene in North Korea.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Eddie Teach

We should intervene in Canada instead; they're all afraid of guns.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Ed Anger

Quote from: derspiess on February 25, 2014, 05:50:40 PM
The US expelled 3 Venezuelan diplomats. 

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/02/25/us-venezuela-protests-idUSBREA1O12B20140225

Nice little nugget from Maduro:

Quote"U.S. society needs to know the truth about Venezuela," Maduro said in the latest of his daily speeches to the nation at a meeting with state governors late on Monday.

"They (Americans) think we're killing each other. They think we can't go out to the corner. They're asking for U.S. military intervention in Venezuela. What madness! Should that happen, you and I will be out with a gun defending our territory."

His bright yellow track suit makes for piss poor camouflage.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive