News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Municipal elections suck

Started by Barrister, October 21, 2013, 10:37:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

It's muni voting day in Alberta.  The mayoralty race is open, so it's attracted some attention.  But I don't really know the issues much, so I thought I'd do some research in order to decide who to vote for - not only for mayor, but for city councillor and school trustee.

Ugh.

Say what you will about federal or provincial elections, but there's at least some level of policy difference between the candidates.  Not so at municipal elections.  There are no set "platforms" that I can see, just vague sets of catchphrases and keywords that are interchangeable between the candidates.  And of course it's worse of all when you get to the school board level.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

I am not as surprised that Edmonton doesnt generate a diversity of political views at the local level.  If you want municipal politics where the candidates represent very different positions you should live around here.  Municipal politics are often more interesting than the Provincal and certainly more interesting than the Federal varieties.

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 21, 2013, 11:32:29 AM
I am not as surprised that Edmonton doesnt generate a diversity of political views at the local level.  If you want municipal politics where the candidates represent very different positions you should live around here.  Municipal politics are often more interesting than the Provincal and certainly more interesting than the Federal varieties.

It's not so much that there isn't a diversity of views.  I believe there is.

It's that you can't actually tell what that diversity is by looking at campaign literature / websites.  Issues about density vs sprawl, infrastructure investments and high debt loads, vs more modest ambitions.

Instead I get gobledygook about "visions for the future" and "consulting stakeholders".

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

DGuller

Quote from: Barrister on October 21, 2013, 10:37:11 AM
It's muni voting day in Alberta.  The mayoralty race is open, so it's attracted some attention.  But I don't really know the issues much, so I thought I'd do some research in order to decide who to vote for - not only for mayor, but for city councillor and school trustee.

Ugh.

Say what you will about federal or provincial elections, but there's at least some level of policy difference between the candidates.  Not so at municipal elections.  There are no set "platforms" that I can see, just vague sets of catchphrases and keywords that are interchangeable between the candidates.  And of course it's worse of all when you get to the school board level.
The senselessness of the politicians is inversely proportional with the power of the office.  The ugliest politics happen at the neighborhood and school district level.  The only exception to that rule is US Congress.

Admiral Yi

There's one dude who keeps running over and over for a city council seat in Iowa City who's entire platform is legalization of chicken raising within city limits.

The Brain

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 21, 2013, 03:40:41 PM
There's one dude who keeps running over and over for a city council seat in Iowa City who's entire platform is legalization of chicken raising within city limits.

Is his name Himmler?

Barrister

That's more of a platform than any of the turkeys I get to vote for today have put forward.

Savonarola

There was one guy who ran for the city council in one of Detroit's suburbs who ran on a platform of ending US recognition for Israel.  After losing he ran for the school board on the same platform (and did about as well.)
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

The Brain

Quote from: Savonarola on October 21, 2013, 04:14:41 PM

There was one guy who ran for the city council in one of Detroit's suburbs who ran on a platform of ending US recognition for Israel.  After losing he ran for the school board on the same platform (and did about as well.)

What a shocker. It's amazing how many people still claim that Jews don't control everything.

Neil

Yeah, it's tough to parse through the nonsense to find out what these clowns stand for.  Fortunately, one of the two councilor candidates I was considering left a flyer on my windshield this morning, which meant that I didn't have to consider voting for him after all.

Still, with no platforms and no polling, it's impossible to vote effectively.  And that's the way they like it.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Neil

I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

MadImmortalMan

We have a guy who has been, for the last decade or so, taking the floor at city council meetings and singing songs about city politics while playing his guitar. He also runs for city council every time and occasionally for mayor. Sometimes he doesn't have any new songs so he just sings some James Taylor or Bob Dylan.

I'm sure he'll be singing about school shootings at the next meeting.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

DontSayBanana

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on October 21, 2013, 08:03:34 PM
We have a guy who has been, for the last decade or so, taking the floor at city council meetings and singing songs about city politics while playing his guitar. He also runs for city council every time and occasionally for mayor. Sometimes he doesn't have any new songs so he just sings some James Taylor or Bob Dylan.

I'm sure he'll be singing about school shootings at the next meeting.

Jeremy?  Janie's Got a Gun?  Try to hook the youngsters with Pumped Up Kicks? :P
Experience bij!

Grey Fox

Our municipal elections are on the 3rd of November.

I live in Laval, our last mayor, in office since 1989, quit & was arrested & accused of, among other things, gangsterism.

Yet the race with 8 mayor candidate is boring as hell. Everyone is running on integrity & turning our streets into Bicyle lovers. :x
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.