Scientology on trial in France for fraud

Started by jimmy olsen, May 31, 2009, 03:42:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PDH

Sure it is a religion - it was founded my an ego-maniacal weirdo bent on fleecing people who would truly believe in a bunch of drivel.

What more is there to religion?  Sure, sure, some incense, but that is optional.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Razgovory

Quote from: PDH on June 01, 2009, 06:19:22 PM
Sure it is a religion - it was founded my an ego-maniacal weirdo bent on fleecing people who would truly believe in a bunch of drivel.

What more is there to religion?  Sure, sure, some incense, but that is optional.

It gives teenagers something to feel smug about when rejecting it.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Martim Silva

Quote from: PDH on June 01, 2009, 06:19:22 PM

I agree. There is nothing in what they accuse Scientology of that I cannot see being done by about 90% of the worlds' religions.

If fleecing idiots off their money is a solid ground for banishment, then Christianity and Islam have to go. And the Vaticans' possessions have to be confiscated.

(I actually wouldn't mind this, but the fact of the matter is that people do have to have a choice. And from what I check, Scientology actually fleeces from the better off and educated and not from the poorest and most ignorant; that makes them far less damaging than virtually any other religious mumbo jumbo that exists).

For that matter, I seem to remember banning a crap religion tends to have unforeseen consequences - wasn't a bunch of extremist outcast loonies who set off from England in the Mayflower to land at Plymouth Rock? Look where THAT led the world.

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Admiral Yi

If they're going to ban Scientology they should ban Amway while they're at it.  Both operate on more or less the same model.

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 01, 2009, 11:33:40 PM
If they're going to ban Scientology they should ban Amway while they're at it.  Both operate on more or less the same model.

Oh I think they'd ban the American way of life if they could.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Martinus

I wouldn't be surprised if Amway was banned in France. Certainly, the Amway business model is banned in Poland.

Martinus

Quote from: Barrister on June 01, 2009, 08:26:28 PM
:rolleyes:
Well, the medieval church, with its price lists for indulgences and "donations" for marriage annulments, was pretty much like scientology, wouldn't you agree? Now, they have moved beyond that, but perhaps in 500 years scientology will be as harmless as christianity, and just limit itself to hating gays and killing medical doctors. :)

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Martim Silva on June 01, 2009, 08:24:22 PM
For that matter, I seem to remember banning a crap religion tends to have unforeseen consequences - wasn't a bunch of extremist outcast loonies who set off from England in the Mayflower to land at Plymouth Rock? Look where THAT led the world.

To abolition of slavery and gay marriage?  :huh:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

CountDeMoney

And while they're at it, detonate Mary Kay Cosmetics. Fucking pink cars are annoying as balls.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Martinus on June 02, 2009, 03:22:40 AMWell, the medieval church, with its price lists for indulgences and "donations" for marriage annulments, was pretty much like scientology, wouldn't you agree?
To some degree, for all the Pardoner's roaming Europe even for the Medieval Church wealth wasn't the only way to worth.  Indeed in its role as a buttress of an oppressive social order the Church needed the poor not to want to get rich so money wasn't the only way to heaven. 
Let's bomb Russia!

DisturbedPervert

Quote from: Martim Silva on June 01, 2009, 08:24:22 PM

I don't think the Scientologists will get very far in Xenu's space ship.

Scipio

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on June 01, 2009, 08:38:52 AM
Quote"first and foremost a commercial business" whose interactions with followers are defined by "a real obsession for financial remuneration."

As opposed to all those other commercial businesses who couldn't give a damn about money.
Like General Motors?
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

DontSayBanana

And both are equally advised against. IIRC, there's been a long-running debate on whether or not to declare Amway a pyramid scheme.
Experience bij!

Valmy

Quote from: Scipio on June 02, 2009, 05:44:14 AM
Like General Motors?

That is not a commercial business that is a pension scheme.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."