I am Jaron
23 (40.4%)

Total Members Voted: 56

crazy canuck

Quote from: grumbler on October 21, 2013, 01:06:32 PM
Quote from: Barrister on October 21, 2013, 12:40:42 PM
Quote1sol·dier noun \ˈsōl-jər\
: a person who is in the military : a member of an army

It seems like a matter of useage.  I understand how the uS military uses it (and seems reflected in this definition). but calling a marine a soldier isn't 'by-definition' wrong, either.

The US military calls their servicemen soldiers and airmen (or aviators, for the officers).  The US naval forces call their people sailors and Marines.

Ah that makes sense.

Malthus

Arguing about definitions? Seems the lawyers have won after all.  :P
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Barrister

Quote from: grumbler on October 21, 2013, 01:06:32 PM
Quote from: Barrister on October 21, 2013, 12:40:42 PM
Quote1sol·dier noun \ˈsōl-jər\
: a person who is in the military : a member of an army

It seems like a matter of useage.  I understand how the uS military uses it (and seems reflected in this definition). but calling a marine a soldier isn't 'by-definition' wrong, either.

The US military calls their servicemen soldiers and airmen (or aviators, for the officers).  The US naval forces call their people sailors and Marines.  It really doesn't matter what the Canadians call their people, or what the US military calls their people, though, and the US Marines are neither Canadian nor military.  By definition.

But so how is it wrong for a UK or Canadian citizen to call a US Marine a soldier?

By the way...

Quote1mil·i·tary adjective \ˈmi-lə-ˌter-ē\
: of or relating to soldiers or the armed forces (such as the army, navy, marines, and air force)

: of or relating to the army

: controlled or supported by armed forces
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on October 21, 2013, 01:20:19 PM
But so how is it wrong for a UK or Canadian citizen to call a US Marine a soldier?

By the way...

It is cool so long as your goal is to really piss off a marine. 
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on October 21, 2013, 01:22:52 PM

By the way...

It is cool so long as your goal is to really piss off a marine.

Oh that's a pretty good bit of information to know - and I never would have known it but for Languish. :hug:

(that is - how to avoid pissing off a marine, not how to deliberately provoke a marine)

crazy canuck

:huh:

Why would a Canadian citizen apply definitions peculiar to the Canadian context?  I suppose the Marine would forgive the Canadian for not knowing any better.  I didnt before Grumbler explained it. 

Malthus

The US Marines: travel the world, meet new people ... and beat the crap outta them for mistakenly calling you a "soldier".  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 21, 2013, 01:26:48 PM

Why would a Canadian citizen apply definitions peculiar to the Canadian context?  I suppose the Marine would forgive the Canadian for not knowing any better.  I didnt before Grumbler explained it.

How is "language" peculiar to the Canadian context?

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on October 21, 2013, 01:31:33 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on October 21, 2013, 01:26:48 PM

How is "language" peculiar to the Canadian context?

It isnt language it is how the language is used in the particular circumstance - you know how people define things. 

lustindarkness

Quote from: Malthus on October 21, 2013, 01:18:54 PM
Arguing about definitions? Seems the lawyers have won after all.  :P

:cry:

At least there are more military than law talkers.  :P
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Razgovory

Probably a function of so many Europeans coming to age during conscription.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

mongers

Would the majority of US marines be ok with being described as infantry (at those that perform that function) ?

Or perhaps naval infantry? 

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Malthus

Quote from: mongers on October 21, 2013, 02:16:42 PM
Would the majority of US marines be ok with being described as infantry (at those that perform that function) ?

Or perhaps naval infantry?

"Who you callin an infant?  :mad: "

Maximus

Quote from: Ed Anger on October 21, 2013, 09:39:44 AM
Please do that in their presence. In a bar. PLEASE.

Then post about the beating you took. Thanks.  :)
If they beat him for something he said they would prove him right about the stupid part at least.

Malthus

I suspect calling a marine a "soldier" is one of those military solecisms that are drilled into people in the armed services, but are made all the time by people outside the services.

"This is mah rifle, this is mah gun; this one's for fightin' and this one's for fun!"