I am Jaron
23 (40.4%)

Total Members Voted: 56

Malthus

Quote from: lustindarkness on October 20, 2013, 02:35:51 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 20, 2013, 01:56:40 PM
Quote from: Malthus on October 20, 2013, 01:48:13 PM
So far, the soldiers are more numerous ...  :hmm:

But for most it's a temporary condition, not a permanent malady like lawyering.  :P

Unless they are Marines.

Or, conversely, Ide.  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Tonitrus

But for most it's a temporary condition, not a permanent malady like lawyering.  :P

Unless they are Marines.

I dare you to call a Marine a "soldier".

lustindarkness

Once a Marine, always a Marine. :secret: The rest of us just retire. ;)
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

11B4V

Quote from: Tonitrus on October 20, 2013, 05:20:43 PM

Unless they are Marines.

yes, I find it offensive.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

sbr

Quote from: Malthus on October 20, 2013, 02:54:15 PM

Unless they are Marines.

Or, conversely, Ide.  ;)

:lmfao:

Josquius

:lol:
Its stupid how they react about that.
Marines=soldiers
██████
██████
██████

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Ed Anger

Quote from: Tyr on October 21, 2013, 09:30:41 AM

Marines=soldiers

Please do that in their presence. In a bar. PLEASE.

Then post about the beating you took. Thanks.  :)
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

lustindarkness

Marines=soldiers

Its stupid how you react about that.
Tyr=ignorant
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

derspiess

Marines call themselves and each other jarheads, but man do they get pissed off if a non-Marine does it.  I even had some fairly close friends get pissy when I called them that.  I guess that's their word.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

lustindarkness

Yeah, we have a special relationship with Marines. We call each other names but if anyone else get involved we'll defend each other. We work together quite a bit, and depend on each other.

For example, we may remind jarheads that Marine stands for My Ass Rides In Navy Equipment.  ;)
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

grumbler

Marines=soldiers

Its incredibly amusing to watch your repeated inability to comprehend the simple, by-definition distinction between Marines and soldiers.  It isn't ignorant ignorance on your part, it is willful ignorance, and you seem quite proud of showing your ass on the topic at every opportunity.

Well-done.

Oh, and in English we say "react to that" not "react about that."
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Barrister

Quote from: grumbler on October 21, 2013, 12:36:41 PM
Marines=soldiers

Its incredibly amusing to watch your repeated inability to comprehend the simple, by-definition distinction between Marines and soldiers.  It isn't ignorant ignorance on your part, it is willful ignorance, and you seem quite proud of showing your ass on the topic at every opportunity.

Well-done.

Oh, and in English we say "react to that" not "react about that."

Quote1sol·dier noun \ˈsōl-jər\
: a person who is in the military : a member of an army

It seems like a matter of useage.  I understand how the uS military uses it (and seems reflected in this definition). but calling a marine a soldier isn't 'by-definition' wrong, either.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

grumbler

Quote from: Barrister on October 21, 2013, 12:40:42 PM
Quote1sol·dier noun \ˈsōl-jər\
: a person who is in the military : a member of an army

It seems like a matter of useage.  I understand how the uS military uses it (and seems reflected in this definition). but calling a marine a soldier isn't 'by-definition' wrong, either.

The US military calls their servicemen soldiers and airmen (or aviators, for the officers).  The US naval forces call their people sailors and Marines.  It really doesn't matter what the Canadians call their people, or what the US military calls their people, though, and the US Marines are neither Canadian nor military.  By definition.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!