Jan/Feb 2014 Government Shutdown and Default Crisis Thread.

Started by mongers, October 16, 2013, 05:31:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Just thought I'd get this thread ready for the near inevitable congressional/executive budget crisis in the new year.

Anyone care to make any bets as to the process/drama/outcome ?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

mongers

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 16, 2013, 05:32:33 PM
What odds are you offering?

Sorry, as you may have gathered I've not expertise in this field, so just an observer. 

I'd have thought you'd get good odds better for a default.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

DGuller

Viking

wouldn't it be better to offer odds on the US Government's credit rating?
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

DGuller

Quote from: Viking on October 16, 2013, 06:02:57 PM
I don't think so.  The concept of giving an entity such as US government a credit rating is just dumb.  It has to have some rating, but the informational value of what that rating is is nil.

Admiral Yi

lustindarkness

Why not wait to see if congress votes this current deal tonight? Are you trying to catch up to Tim in threads started?
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

DGuller

Viking

Quote from: DGuller on October 16, 2013, 06:10:59 PM
Quote from: Viking on October 16, 2013, 06:02:57 PM
I don't think so.  The concept of giving an entity such as US government a credit rating is just dumb.  It has to have some rating, but the informational value of what that rating is is nil.

How about a TED value?

http://stockcharts.com/freecharts/gallery.html?$TED

I think the number that nose dives during the shut down is an expression of the extra risk perceived from having anything other than treasury bills.

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Sheilbh

What do you think are the chances Republicans try and impeach Obama before 2016? If they win the Senate then right now I'd guess it's very high.
Let's bomb Russia!

Sheilbh

Quote from: Viking on October 16, 2013, 06:19:40 PM
I think the number that nose dives during the shut down is an expression of the extra risk perceived from having anything other than treasury bills.
I heard anecdotally that there's now a market for American political risk insurance. Previously only really useful in the developing world :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

Viking

Quote from: Sheilbh on October 16, 2013, 06:21:19 PM
Quote from: Viking on October 16, 2013, 06:19:40 PM
I heard anecdotally that there's now a market for American political risk insurance. Previously only really useful in the developing world :lol:

USA! USA! USA!

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!