News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What if in heaven...

Started by merithyn, October 16, 2013, 08:35:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habbaku

Me, either.  Catholic Mass tends to be short on that sort of thing, from my experiences.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Sheilbh

Quote from: Habbaku on October 16, 2013, 05:02:47 PM
Me, either.  Catholic Mass tends to be short on that sort of thing, from my experiences.
I'll add this to my list of things Protestants have ruined. Somewhere near Cathedrals, Christmas, Damnation...
Let's bomb Russia!

Viking

Quote from: Sheilbh on October 16, 2013, 05:22:03 PM
I'll add this to my list of things Protestants have ruined. Somewhere near Cathedrals, Christmas, Damnation...

Puritans abolished Christmas. Lutherans invented it.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/local/berkshire/hi/people_and_places/history/newsid_9286000/9286971.stm
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Sheilbh

Like I can tell the difference :P
Let's bomb Russia!

garbon

From my experience, catholic churches seemed so desperate to get congregants that they couldn't possibly say something so racy.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ed Anger

I enjoy a good fire and brimstone sermon. None of that love thy neighbor bullshit.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

garbon

I successfully avoid meeting my neighbors!
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

merithyn

Quote from: garbon on October 16, 2013, 07:19:03 PM

This was always my least favorite part of mass, and I was happy to leave it behind. Now I find out that the UU church I go to does it every Sunday. :glare:
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Admiral Yi

The absolute worst are the churches where you have to hug the people next to you.  :yuk:

Ed Anger

Quote from: merithyn on October 16, 2013, 07:39:57 PM

This was always my least favorite part of mass, and I was happy to leave it behind. Now I find out that the UU church I go to does it every Sunday. :glare:

HA! UNITARIAN!

Everybody point and laugh.

garbon

Quote from: Ed Anger on October 16, 2013, 07:51:06 PM
Quote from: merithyn on October 16, 2013, 07:39:57 PM

HA! UNITARIAN!

I don't want Valmy to get angry again.

merithyn

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 16, 2013, 07:45:58 PM
The absolute worst are the churches where you have to hug the people next to you.  :yuk:
Oh my :bleeding:
Let's bomb Russia!

Ed Anger

Quote from: merithyn on October 16, 2013, 07:54:52 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on October 16, 2013, 07:51:06 PM
HA! UNITARIAN!

No one cares, Ed.

Between dancing naked in the woods and you congregating with Unitarians, you are twice damned in my eyes.

I'll pretend to pray for you.

merithyn

Quote from: Ed Anger on October 16, 2013, 07:57:00 PM
Between dancing naked in the woods and you congregating with Unitarians, you are twice damned in my eyes.

I'll pretend to pray for you.

Pfft. Dancing naked in the woods would be dumb. There's ticks and mosquitoes out there.  :yucky: