News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What if in heaven...

Started by merithyn, October 16, 2013, 08:35:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

Quote from: merithyn on October 16, 2013, 08:35:23 AM
I'm still chuckling over the idea that derspeiss will meet a female god when/if he goes to heaven, and it, of course, has me thinking.
I'm chuckling at the idea of him going to heaven, period.

derspiess

Quote from: DGuller on October 16, 2013, 10:53:18 AM
Quote from: merithyn on October 16, 2013, 08:35:23 AM
I'm still chuckling over the idea that derspeiss will meet a female god when/if he goes to heaven, and it, of course, has me thinking.
I'm chuckling at the idea of him going to heaven, period.

I've lived a virtuous life :goodboy:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Drakken

That Pope John XXII had it right, that until Judgment Day happens no one is allowed in Heaven, so you are left to wait outside the gates or in a state of prolonged sheol until it does.

Or, alternatively, that Jack Chick had it right and the Lord really is the monomaniacal, egostical, D-capital douchebag he proposes as the Christian God.

Valmy

Quote from: Drakken on October 16, 2013, 11:31:14 AM
Or, alternatively, that Jack Chick had it right and the Lord really is the monomaniacal, egostical, D-capital douchebag he proposes as the Christian God.

In that case I am already going to Hell for all my Dungeons and Dragons(tm) playing as a kid.

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

crazy canuck

Quote from: Valmy on October 16, 2013, 11:45:33 AM

In that case I am already going to Hell for all my Dungeons and Dragons(tm) playing as a kid.

:lol:

That is pretty much what convinced me there wasnt much to the threat of damnation.  When I was about 14 my grandparents took me to hear a sermon.  It was full of threats that if people did x, y and z (the list was quite long as I recall) they would go to hell.  I rememeber thinking that everyone I knew, including my parents, were doomed to hellfire and brimstone.  I then thought that without all those people heaven would be a pretty boring place.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Drakken

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 16, 2013, 11:50:39 AM
That is pretty much what convinced me there wasnt much to threat of damnation.  When I was about 14 my grandparents took me to hear a sermon.  It was full of threats that if people did x, y and z (the list was quite long as I recall) they would go to hell.  I rememeber thinking that everyone I knew, including my parents, were doomed to hellfire and brimstone.  I then thought that without all those people heaven would be a pretty boring place.

Another thing that should appear to your lawyer side, is that any system of justice in which either a class-E felony or a missdemeanor which hasn't been pleaded guilty to can lead the accused straight to an eternity in Death Row upon sentencing is a piss-poor system indeed.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Drakken on October 16, 2013, 11:55:22 AM
That is pretty much what convinced me there wasnt much to threat of damnation.  When I was about 14 my grandparents took me to hear a sermon.  It was full of threats that if people did x, y and z (the list was quite long as I recall) they would go to hell.  I rememeber thinking that everyone I knew, including my parents, were doomed to hellfire and brimstone.  I then thought that without all those people heaven would be a pretty boring place.

Another thing that should appear to your lawyer side, is that any system of justice in which either a class-E felony or a missdemeanor which hasn't been pleaded guilty to can lead the accused straight to an eternity in Death Row upon sentencing is a piss-poor system indeed.

I am not sure what you mean but as I understood it the notion wasnt a question of guilt in the legal sense.  If the person really did do those things then where going to hell.  The issue for me was the things that were picked out for damnation were pretty minor.  We might be saying the same thing but I am not sure.

Viking

Quote from: Valmy on October 16, 2013, 11:45:33 AM

:lol:

That is pretty much what convinced me there wasnt much to the threat of damnation.  When I was about 14 my grandparents took me to hear a sermon.  It was full of threats that if people did x, y and z (the list was quite long as I recall) they would go to hell.  I rememeber thinking that everyone I knew, including my parents, were doomed to hellfire and brimstone.  I then thought that without all those people heaven would be a pretty boring place.

That is usually enough proof for me that people going to church are atheists too.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

merithyn

Quote from: garbon on October 16, 2013, 11:54:28 AM
Heaven sounds pretty dull.

I guess I don't think of heaven in the same way as Valmy and you seem to. It's not, to me, playing harps while sitting on clouds. Rather, it's a place of absolute knowledge and joy, however you may see that.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

lustindarkness

Quote from: merithyn on October 16, 2013, 12:14:53 PM
Quote from: garbon on October 16, 2013, 11:54:28 AM
Heaven sounds pretty dull.

I guess I don't think of heaven in the same way as Valmy and you seem to. It's not, to me, playing harps while sitting on clouds. Rather, it's a place of absolute knowledge and joy, however you may see that.

Languish?  :o
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Valmy

Quote from: merithyn on October 16, 2013, 12:14:53 PM

That was a joke Meri :P
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

merithyn

Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Sheilbh

I've never heard a fire and brimstone sermon in my life :mellow:

I've heard about rosaries and miracles and the devil and confession - but never damnation.
Let's bomb Russia!

Valmy

Quote from: Sheilbh on October 16, 2013, 12:23:44 PM
I've never heard a fire and brimstone sermon in my life :mellow:

I've heard about rosaries and miracles and the devil and confession - but never damnation.

Fire and brimstone is more of an American protestant thing.  At least the un-ironic ones.  I doubt British Catholic Priests would be going off like that in earnest.