News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

US Army to get rid of $5 billion pixel camo

Started by Syt, October 15, 2013, 12:20:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tonitrus

Quote from: grumbler on October 15, 2013, 06:35:10 AM
Love the bullshit slant this article takes.  "Eight years after spending $5 billion on a heavily-criticized universal camouflage pattern, the Army is back at the drawing board looking for a new design that's estimated to cost another $4 billion."  Translation:  after spending the usual amount of money per year on uniforms to replace the worn-out ones, the US Army is looking to improve the design for future purposes.  The uniform design isn't estimated to cost $4 billion, but if the story is just about switching camo patterns, where is the drama and outrage?  Better for the author to lie and get the clicks.

Newsflash:  the army is always spending billions over the course of years to buy uniforms, and will for the foreseeable future.

As the grumbles said...I imagine most of that figure is just the annual clothing/uniform allowance that every service member receives (about $350-$400 per annum) anyway, plus tthe initial clothing/uniform issue (which usually comes out to around to a one-time $1500-$2000 per person).  Then add in the time/money for a bunch of generals to toss around design ideas, and tour around wearing "concept" uniforms.

The OCP/Multicam idea is a good one.  Every deployer I have worked with says that it is a far superior uniform, even in terms of just general wear and comfort, than current camouflage uniforms.

mongers

Quote from: Tonitrus on October 15, 2013, 04:35:11 PM
Quote from: grumbler on October 15, 2013, 06:35:10 AM
Love the bullshit slant this article takes.  "Eight years after spending $5 billion on a heavily-criticized universal camouflage pattern, the Army is back at the drawing board looking for a new design that's estimated to cost another $4 billion."  Translation:  after spending the usual amount of money per year on uniforms to replace the worn-out ones, the US Army is looking to improve the design for future purposes.  The uniform design isn't estimated to cost $4 billion, but if the story is just about switching camo patterns, where is the drama and outrage?  Better for the author to lie and get the clicks.

Newsflash:  the army is always spending billions over the course of years to buy uniforms, and will for the foreseeable future.

As the grumbles said...I imagine most of that figure is just the annual clothing/uniform allowance that every service member receives (about $350-$400 per annum) anyway, plus tthe initial clothing/uniform issue (which usually comes out to around to a one-time $1500-$2000 per person).  Then add in the time/money for a bunch of generals to toss around design ideas, and tour around wearing "concept" uniforms.

The OCP/Multicam idea is a good one.  Every deployer I have worked with says that it is a far superior uniform, even in terms of just general wear and comfort, than current camouflage uniforms.

Shouldn't air force camouflage be quite similar to a synthetic black leather look?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Tonitrus

*Awaits Ed Anger joke about how USAF camo should somehow blend in with emails".

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: mongers on October 15, 2013, 04:58:59 PM
Shouldn't air force camouflage be quite similar to a synthetic black leather look?

Synthetic black leather mixed with faux oak woodgrain.

mongers

Quote from: Baron von Schtinkenbutt on October 15, 2013, 05:23:53 PM
Quote from: mongers on October 15, 2013, 04:58:59 PM

Synthetic black leather mixed with faux oak woodgrain.

:D

crazy canuck

I thought the thread title was about the army getting rid of a 5 billion pixel camera.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Tonitrus on October 15, 2013, 05:14:52 PM
*Awaits Ed Anger joke about how USAF camo should somehow blend in with emails".

Air Force unis are already blue, like an unvisited link.

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

grumbler

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 15, 2013, 05:41:57 PM
I thought the thread title was about the army getting rid of a 5 billion pixel camera.
You are right; it could be read as getting rid of a five dollar, billion-pixel camera, if you squint just right!  :D
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

crazy canuck

Quote from: grumbler on October 15, 2013, 05:58:53 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on October 15, 2013, 05:41:57 PM
You are right; it could be read as getting rid of a five dollar, billion-pixel camera, if you squint just right!  :D

Definitely time for me to get those bifocals.

CountDeMoney

I loved Project Blue Book as a kid.  :wub:

Colonel Flagg dispelling UFO myths in Jack Webb's ongoing campaign To Create a More Deadpan America(tm).

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

grumbler

Quote from: Ed Anger on October 15, 2013, 07:07:12 PM
Binders full of e-mail
Binders full of emails about reducing the amount of emails sent.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

mongers

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 15, 2013, 07:05:39 PM
I loved Project Blue Book as a kid.  :wub:

Colonel Flagg dispelling UFO myths in Jack Webb's ongoing campaign To Create a More Deadpan America(tm).

I used to run back from the bus stop to catch it in time.  :)

Josquius

Makes sense they're using standard uniform buying numbers, but that begs the question how much did the design and change over cost. I doubt it was nothing
██████
██████
██████

DontSayBanana

My only reaction to this is: "Digital camo going out the window?  Halle-fucking-lujah."  That shit was an eyesore.

Now if only the Navy would do something about those ridiculous dress uniforms...
Experience bij!