Judge tells living man that he’s still legally dead

Started by jimmy olsen, October 11, 2013, 02:04:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Iormlund

That's another interesting question. Stake through the heart?

lustindarkness

Grand Duke of Lurkdom

DGuller

mongers

He should try and exploit the situation, commit a crime or two and see how quickly the bureaucracy changes its 'mind'.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Neil

Wouldn't it make more sense to have the judge and all the lawyers involved executed, and then just declare him to be alive through force of arms?  That's the only way you'll ever really get any justice.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

OttoVonBismarck

I don't really see the man as all that blameworthy for not paying child support nor do I see the woman that blameworthy for realizing some eight years later after he'd been dead to the world that maybe she could file for some social security survivor benefits and get some small amount of money for her children. The guy was obviously an extreme alcoholic, while people should always pay their child support the fact is someone like that is simply unable to do so. Someone that far into addiction simply can't work, and they are probably living in abject squalor themselves--so they are not at all akin to the deadbeat dads who work and make their baby mommas go through all the hoops just to squeeze a meager amount out of them while they live fairly comfortably.

I don't see how the woman would have been likely to know he was or wasn't dead, he disappeared from the face of the Earth and they had no ongoing relationship. That's precisely why the statute exists for declaring someone dead after they've gone totally missing for a certain number of years.

mongers

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on October 11, 2013, 05:42:36 PM
I don't really see the man as all that blameworthy for not paying child support nor do I see the woman that blameworthy for realizing some eight years later after he'd been dead to the world that maybe she could file for some social security survivor benefits and get some small amount of money for her children. The guy was obviously an extreme alcoholic, while people should always pay their child support the fact is someone like that is simply unable to do so. Someone that far into addiction simply can't work, and they are probably living in abject squalor themselves--so they are not at all akin to the deadbeat dads who work and make their baby mommas go through all the hoops just to squeeze a meager amount out of them while they live fairly comfortably.

I don't see how the woman would have been likely to know he was or wasn't dead, he disappeared from the face of the Earth and they had no ongoing relationship. That's precisely why the statute exists for declaring someone dead after they've gone totally missing for a certain number of years.

There's something to be said for this argument, plus I think the children probably benefited from not having an alcoholic father in their family life.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Sheilbh

Quote from: jimmy olsen on October 11, 2013, 03:12:41 AM
The fact that he's just turned up alive is going to completely screw her over. She'd owe tens of thousands to the government if he was declared alive. I can understand not wanting that to happen.
Surely not if she really believed it and tried to find out where he was?
Let's bomb Russia!

Neil

I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Neil

garbon

DGuller