News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Modern "Heavy" Infantry...

Started by Berkut, October 10, 2013, 08:51:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ideologue

But how does today's infantryman stack up to an SLBM?  Not well?  Oh.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Brazen

I'm never sure if these threads are baiting me :hmm:

Yeah, it was odd CNN dug that up "Iron Man" story yesterday, nothing's really progressed since the programme was announced back in May.

Around the 80s, soldiers were complaining of the "Christmas tree effect", when new gadgets were dangled off them like baubles. Various international Future Solider programmes have sought to integrate them with standard kit (France's FELIN and Norway's NORMANS are not super high-tech but quite far advanced in their delivery), but the truth is the minute a single ounce is shaved off the overall weight, something new is added.

Exoskeletons like HUL, XOS and Hercule are reaching the stage when they are of practical use, but the truth is different types will be used for a single mission - moving heavy gear, traversing difficult terrain - by one individual then removed. They massively compromise motility and armour.

The US especially is interested in pack robots, automated donkeys that can act as a member of a patrol to carry all the extra gear, while automatically following a lead and avoiding obstacles.

But at the end of the day, talking to soldiers, they say any any new space found in their rucksacks will be filled with food and batteries.

At the blue sky thinking end, Boston Dynamics are an unstoppable force. Meet their latest protégé WildCat:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wE3fmFTtP9g

grumbler

Quote from: Brazen on October 11, 2013, 04:46:29 AM
At the blue sky thinking end, Boston Dynamics are an unstoppable force. Meet their latest protégé WildCat:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wE3fmFTtP9g
Unless the term means something different in the UK, this isn't "blue sky thinking" at all, and, of course, naming something"Wildcat" simply shrieks "lack of originality."  It is very nice engineering, but it is marching down a well-worn path.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Brazen

Quote from: grumbler on October 11, 2013, 06:21:48 AM
Unless the term means something different in the UK, this isn't "blue sky thinking" at all, and, of course, naming something"Wildcat" simply shrieks "lack of originality."  It is very nice engineering, but it is marching down a well-worn path.
Blue Sky thinking has nothing to do with originality, it means what could we do if we didn't have practicalities like cost and immediate utility to contend with. I think it's pretty bloody blue sky thinking that the military will ever have giant robot cats on the battlefield!

It's an untethered version of the same company's Cheetah robot, which sprints at 28.3mph, faster than Usain Bolt 's 20m split. I don't know about you, but I think that's pretty ground-breaking.

If not, here's Big Dog lobbing breeze blocks. Scares the willies out of me.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jvLalY6ubc

Or, if you want something practical, LS3 carrying 400lbs of load up a rugged mountain.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJZQ3n-iQYE

Boston Dynamics win at robots.

grumbler

Quote from: Brazen on October 11, 2013, 07:10:03 AM
Blue Sky thinking has nothing to do with originality, it means what could we do if we didn't have practicalities like cost and immediate utility to contend with. I think it's pretty bloody blue sky thinking that the military will ever have giant robot cats on the battlefield!

There is  difference then.  In the US, "gblue sky" thinking is thinking not bounded by what exists, or is planned, or by what resources are currently available.  It is thinking about problems from an original viewpoint.  Making the impractical practical is not "blue sky."

QuoteIt's an untethered version of the same company's Cheetah robot, which sprints at 28.3mph, faster than Usain Bolt 's 20m split. I don't know about you, but I think that's pretty ground-breaking.

If not, here's Big Dog lobbing breeze blocks. Scares the willies out of me.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jvLalY6ubc

Or, if you want something practical, LS3 carrying 400lbs of load up a rugged mountain.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJZQ3n-iQYE

Boston Dynamics win at robots.

Yes, they have some good engineers, as I said.  Engineering is pretty much the opposite of blue sky thinking in US terms, though.

Blue sky thinking in this context might involve, say, hypothesizing how each existing piece of kit could be useful in movement and then converted somehow to be useful in combat; maybe your rucksack could be turned into an assault rifle.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

garbon

Yay a discussion what blue sky thinking could mean.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

That's Mr. Blue Sky if you're nasty.

garbon

Grumbler on left, B on the right.

B: And look at this cool th...
G: Yo, Imma let you finish but first I want to harp on word choice.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

The Brain

Quote from: garbon on October 11, 2013, 08:01:18 AM

Grumbler on left, B on the right.

G: Yo, Imma let you finish but first I want to harp on word choice.

^_^
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

grumbler

B on the right, garbon on the left

Garbo [interrupting] You haven't said a word about me yet.

Bayraktar!

Iormlund

The US especially is interested in pack robots, automated donkeys that can act as a member of a patrol to carry all the extra gear, while automatically following a lead and avoiding obstacles.

What is their advantage over, you know, actual donkeys?

citizen k

Quote from: Iormlund on October 11, 2013, 01:58:18 PM

Probably feed and less health or injury issues.

The Brain

Quote from: Iormlund on October 11, 2013, 01:58:18 PM

Donkeys are cheaper which means they don't generate as much pork.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.