News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Alice Munro - Nobel Prize for Literature

Started by Malthus, October 10, 2013, 12:38:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

Won it today, the first Canadian woman to win it and, as far as I know, the first person from Ontario. What do you Languishites think of her work?

I tried reading some of her stories many years ago, and could not get into them. Maybe I should try again.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/alice-munro-is-1st-canadian-woman-to-win-nobel-literature-prize-1.1958383
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

merithyn

I've tried to read her stuff, too. Not my bag, but I like her writing style quite a bit. Just don't much care for her choice of topics.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

The Brain

Quote from: Malthus on October 10, 2013, 12:38:23 PM
Won it today, the first Canadian woman to win it

This is not the time to be bitter. :)
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Admiral Yi

On a related note, which literary prize do y'all consider the most prestigious?

katmai

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 10, 2013, 12:44:28 PM

Getting my letter published in Penthouse Forums!
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Sheilbh

I think probably the ones for a novel in a specific language. So I like the Booker prize and the Pulitzer but they both have off years.

The Nobel is way, way down the list. It's a lifetime achievement award that, historically at least, tends to make quite tokenistic picks.
Let's bomb Russia!

Malthus

The Booker is pretty highly regarded I think.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Josephus

Quote from: Malthus on October 10, 2013, 12:38:23 PM
Won it today, the first Canadian woman to win it and, as far as I know, the first person from Ontario.

Well that would be a logical conclusion :D

REgarding her work. I was forced to read her since I minored in Canadian Lit. She's tough, very tough as are most female Canadian writers (apologizes to any relatives of one). But there's no doubting her talent. Good for her.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Admiral Yi

mongers

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 10, 2013, 05:52:23 PM
Doesn't seem like a very deep field.

[Josq]

The quality stuff is hidden deep, that's why he was miner in lit.

[/Josq]
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 10, 2013, 05:52:23 PM
Doesn't seem like a very deep field.

Are you actually familiar with Canadian literature, or are you just guessing?