Azerbaijan Releases Election Results Before Voting Starts

Started by Jacob, October 10, 2013, 12:33:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

Oops!

QuoteAzerbaijan's big presidential election, held on Wednesday, was anticipated to be neither free nor fair. President Ilham Aliyev, who took over from his father 10 years ago, has stepped up intimidation of activists and journalists. Rights groups are complaining about free speech restrictions and one-sided state media coverage. The BBC's headline for its story on the election reads "The Pre-Determined President." So expectations were pretty low.
Even still, one expects a certain ritual in these sorts of authoritarian elections, a fealty to at least the appearance of democracy, if not democracy itself. So it was a bit awkward when Azerbaijan's election authorities released vote results – a full day before voting had even started.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/worldviews/wp/2013/10/09/oops-azerbaijan-released-election-results-before-voting-had-even-started/

DGuller

I think the fact that he's leading with 85% of the vote kind of disproves the fact that results were pre-determined, since those only showed him winning 72%.

Kleves

Well, doing it this way does save everyone a lot of hassle. No need to stand in line at the polling place or anything.
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

derspiess

Quote from: Kleves on October 10, 2013, 02:47:30 PM
Well, doing it this way does save everyone a lot of hassle. No need to stand in line at the polling place or anything.

You still need to make sure Aliyev knows you voted for him :)
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Malthus

Clearly, the Azerbaijanis must have invented a time machine.  :hmm:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Admiral Yi

lustindarkness

Did president Ilham Aliyev even show his birth certificate to pove he was born in Azerbaijan?
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

lustindarkness

Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Savonarola

Quote from: lustindarkness on October 10, 2013, 03:30:33 PM
Quote from: The Brain on October 10, 2013, 03:28:21 PM
What mean word "pove"?

Similar to prove, but the "r" is furloughed by the gov shutdown.

Some blame Ba'ack, some blame Boehne'; but in the end Ame'ica loses.   :(

In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

lustindarkness

Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Savonarola

It's tough times.  My wife and I cannot play a weekly Sc(blank)abble game now.

PBS has had to shake down S and T twice as often so they have someone to sponso' Sesames St'eet
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Jacob

Quote from: Savonarola on October 10, 2013, 04:01:10 PM
It's tough times.  My wife and I cannot play a weekly Sc(blank)abble game now.

PBS has had to shake down S and T twice as often so they have someone to sponso' Sesames St'eet

You should see how bad it's getting at the 'ock-'n-'oll hall of fame.