News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Great Power Most Responsible for WW1?

Started by Queequeg, October 08, 2013, 11:40:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seems pretty self-explanatory.  Which great power bore the greatest responsibility for the outbreak of war in 1914?

Germany
10 (23.3%)
Russia
17 (39.5%)
Austria-Hungary
12 (27.9%)
France
1 (2.3%)
Great Britain
1 (2.3%)
Montenegro-the Jews-Bechuanaland Protectorate
2 (4.7%)

Total Members Voted: 42

grumbler

I don't think the Russian government had any choice at that point but to support a Serbian government that even they detested.  The legitimacy of the Tsar was too closely tied to pan-Slavism (especially after the events of 1905 had removed the claim of legitimacy based on the national will) to allow more "German" bullying of more Slavs.  It is true that this was an internal issue, but every government in Europe understood it and its implications.

Austria got what they needed in the Serbian response to the Austrian ultimatum.  It was Austria's determination not to take "yes" for an answer that triggered the war.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Tamas on October 09, 2013, 06:18:36 AM
Yes.

Although it is interesting. One could argue that IF they wanted a war eventually (and let`s face it, they did) Germany had to launch it ASAP. Foreign investment in Russia and such made them losing superiority.
And A-H leaders could sense the foundation of their empire crumbling, so they felt like they had to gamble.

They probably should had started the whole mess in 1910 when they had some issues with Italy, or during the Balkan Wars.
Point is, I am quite convinced the Great War was inevitable, because everybody wanted a good rumble, and nobody (apart from a tiny minority I guess) had the faintest idea of how it would look like.

All of the Great powers had reasons to want war, and war sooner rather than later, bar, perhaps, Britain.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Tamas on October 09, 2013, 06:18:36 AM

They probably should had started the whole mess in 1910 when they had some issues with Italy, or during the Balkan Wars.
Point is, I am quite convinced the Great War was inevitable, because everybody wanted a good rumble, and nobody (apart from a tiny minority I guess) had the faintest idea of how it would look like.
Wasn't Germany unable to supply it's army with ammunition for a long war until the development of the Haber process in 1913. If they end up in a war with Britain before that and their access to South American markets is cut off then they're fucked.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

CountDeMoney

Voted Germany;  there was going to be a war, and Germany was the one whose actions would determine how big it was going to get.  Turns out it included the rest of the continent, not just the east.

Grey Fox

It's Russia's fault but they were not a great power. Only 1 country was Great Power, so I voted for Great Britain.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Valmy

Germany.  I used to be pretty vehemently in favor of Austria being responsible but it sure looks like Germany, fearing the bogeyman of a growing Russia, really wanted it sooner rather than later.  I mean they could have stopped it at various times, the Kaiser even wanted to, but plowed right on ahead.  And of course you have to consider the foundational role of Admiral Tirpitz.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: Tyr on October 09, 2013, 03:55:07 AM
France.
Short term with the Serbian situation then yes, Russia or Austria. But they're just the ones who set the bonfire alight, it was France who built it.

Presuming you are not trolling me here :P I can sort of see were you are coming from.  While their opposition to Germany was sort of a central theme they spent most of the period beforehand diplomatically isolated making itself feel better conquering vast tracks of African desert.  They were just sort of there as Germany began to make enemies and were sort of like 'oh an anti-German alliance is forming?  Cool count us in.'  However in the actual event France just sat there knowing whether or not the war was fought was pretty much out of their hands (but if they did fight it they wanted to make sure Britain was going to fight with them).  Also their bravado and elan and all that was masking a pretty big insecurity about their small population and economy and were pretty engaged in building up Russia to compensate.  While they might have wanted war eventually I doubt they thought 1914 was an ideal time.

But ultimately without Germany creating enemies in Russia and Britain France would have been completely harmless.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

Valmy

Quote from: Kleves on October 09, 2013, 12:51:26 AM
Austria is probably among the least blameworthy. The Serbs claimed Austrian land, constantly sponsored terrorism/nationalist movements, and, oh yeah, was complicit in the assassination of the Austrian heir. Realistically, Austria-Hungary did not have a lot of options but to respond as they did.

Well wait a second what about the provocative annexation of Bosnia?  What about the extreme language of the Serb Ultimatum?  They could have easily punished Serbia and saved face without actually declaring war.

grumbler

Quote from: Valmy on October 09, 2013, 08:13:34 AM
But ultimately without Germany creating enemies in Russia and Britain France would have been completely harmless.

Germany didn't create an "enemy" in Russia, it simply didn't renew an important non-aggression treaty.  It was France that made Russia into an enemy of Germany, as the price Russia had to pay for a great power alliance and French investment.  Without the Dual Alliance, Russia would have been completely harmless.

France's great fear was that the Tsar would be overthrown before the Dual Alliance had a chance to defeat Germany between them (since a post-Tsarist Russia would presumably not be all that friendly towards a France that had bankrolled their oppressor).  So, France had  reason to want an early war, just like Russia, Austria, and Germany.  And, for that matter, she had a war plan which was as aggressive and "seize the moment" as the Schlieffen Plan (though it didn't involve invading neutrals).

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Valmy on October 09, 2013, 08:15:28 AM
Well wait a second what about the provocative annexation of Bosnia?  What about the extreme language of the Serb Ultimatum?  They could have easily punished Serbia and saved face without actually declaring war.
Yeah, the " Austria-Hungary did not have a lot of options but to respond as they did" line seems pretty revisionist to me, as well.  Austria got what she nominally wanted from the ultimatum (which wasn't at all what they expected and hoped for, and which pissed them off no end), but, since what she wanted was a war and nothing but a war, war she would have.  That's pretty much exactly the opposite of having no choice.

Bayraktar!

Valmy

Quote from: grumbler on October 09, 2013, 08:21:49 AM
Germany didn't create an "enemy" in Russia, it simply didn't renew an important non-aggression treaty.  It was France that made Russia into an enemy of Germany, as the price Russia had to pay for a great power alliance and French investment.  Without the Dual Alliance, Russia would have been completely harmless.

Completely disagree.  Germany completely undermined Russia in the Balkans in favor of Austria and not renewing the alliance was simply a signal they would continue to back Austria.  Russia had to look around for friends to help her defend her interests and hey there was France.  But conflict in the Balkans was pretty likely even without France.

mongers

In some ways isn't this a bit like asking who started the bar-room brawl ?

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Valmy

Quote from: mongers on October 09, 2013, 08:31:07 AM

It was probably that Italy guy.  He kept buying Russia and Austria drinks.

Tamas

Quote from: mongers on October 09, 2013, 08:31:07 AM

Yeah. I mean look, they are counting the countless reasons each GP had to look for war. Totally pointless question who set it ablaze.