News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Remembering the Yom Kippur War, 40 Years Ago.

Started by mongers, October 08, 2013, 07:00:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Also in 1982 I was initially unsure of who to root for in the Falklands War.  I had just read a little on the War of 1812 so I was pissed at the British for burning DC.  Yet I had zero clue what on earth an Argentine was, as the news never bothered to show any pictures or footage of them.  So I sided with the devil I knew.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

I just thought it was hilarious to watch the Brits put together a fleet made up of ASW ships, carriers with subsonic aircraft and a luxury liner to go all the way to Antarctica to avenge their colonial past.  It was a real-life Battlestar Galactica flotilla...a ragtag fugitive fleet...on a lonely quest...for a shining star...called...Sheep.

Admiral Yi

Were it not for the skill and courage of the Argentine air force, the war would not have been nearly as enjoyable to spectate.

derspiess

All my wife remembers of the war is a bunch of pro-war demonstrations downtown and her mom sending blankets to the troops.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Ed Anger

Which were ripped apart to make surrender flags.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Ed Anger

God the Falklands. The end of kick ass British. Now everybody gets an ASBO and a health and safety warning.

The UK makes me sick now.

11B4V

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 14, 2013, 03:06:26 PM
I just thought it was hilarious to watch the Brits put together a fleet made up of ASW ships, carriers with subsonic aircraft and a luxury liner to go all the way to Antarctica to avenge their colonial past.  It was a real-life Battlestar Galactica flotilla...a ragtag fugitive fleet...on a lonely quest...for a shining star...called...Sheep.

Just proves how inept the Argies were.
:lol:
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

CountDeMoney

I wouldn't go so far as to call them inept, but their WW2 surplus iron bombs could've been a little fresher.  A lot of duds hit their marks.

And the fact that after the Belgrano, they got a case of the Kaisers and refused to sortie, as well as deploy the full strength of their air assets, which really could've shit up the works for Maggie.

mongers

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 14, 2013, 09:08:42 PM
I wouldn't go so far as to call them inept, but their WW2 surplus iron bombs could've been a little fresher.  A lot of duds hit their marks.

And the fact that after the Belgrano, they got a case of the Kaisers and refused to sortie, as well as deploy the full strength of their air assets, which really could've shit up the works for Maggie.

I thought the issue was a lot of the Argentine pilots were going in so low, that on release the bombs didn't have enough flight time/height to arm ? :unsure:

Not sure about their air assets, they committed most of what they had, and the extreme combat radius was an issue for much of it; iirc didn't some of the skyhawks and perhaps one of the other types, rely on lashed up buddy-buddy tankering ?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

CountDeMoney

In any case, I'm on the junta's high command staff, I win that war.

Ed Anger

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 14, 2013, 09:26:20 PM
In any case, I'm on the junta's high command staff, I win that war.

I won it playing Harpoon.  :outback:

11B4V

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 14, 2013, 09:08:42 PM

Then what would you call the Argie performance?

:lol: Shoulda, coulda, woulda.   
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Ed Anger

CountDeMoney