Ashoka the Great - the Best Ruler EVER?

Started by Martinus, May 31, 2009, 04:02:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

People who played Civ4 may have heard of him, as well as others with an interest in Asian/Indian history. His wikipedia entry seems slightly fanboish but he seems like a really unique ruler, way beyond his time and culture (He apparently allowed female education, introduced religious tolerance, banned slavery, death penalty, and even regulated hunting, fishing and deforestation being apparently the first environmentalist).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ashoka_the_great

Does anyone know if there are serious historians disputing his achievements?

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

DisturbedPervert

I don't know that much about him, but there's a street nearby named after him. 

There's also a radical Buddhist sect here named after him.  Not radical in the blow shit up sense, but in the go in to the forest and be weird sense.

Slargos

Quote from: The Brain on May 31, 2009, 04:04:26 AM
He ruled brown pipple. :contract:

Which should be another feather in his hat, given that he successfully introduced civilized reforms on barbaric peoples.

The Brain

Quote from: Slargos on May 31, 2009, 04:46:33 AM

Which should be another feather in his hat, given that he successfully introduced civilized reforms on barbaric peoples.

Talent applied retardedly earns to points.

Slargos

Quote from: The Brain on May 31, 2009, 04:50:12 AM

Sometimes I don't get you, and I worry whether it is a basic failing on my part, or a basic disability on yours. :weep:

The Brain

Quote from: Slargos on May 31, 2009, 05:09:54 AM

Sometimes I don't get you, and I worry whether it is a basic failing on my part, or a basic disability on yours. :weep:

IT WAS A TYPO

saskganesh

Quote from: Slargos on May 31, 2009, 05:09:54 AM

Bmollson , but not as funny.
humans were created in their own image

Neil

Sounds like hippie scum.  Any country without the death penalty is untenable.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

garbon

Quote from: Neil on May 31, 2009, 07:20:54 AM
Sounds like hippie scum.  Any country without the death penalty is untenable.

Actually  I think there is a tendency, especially since most sources on him come from religious texts to associate everything with his benevolence and drop out any sense of practical concerns.

Just searched a little bit:

John Keay's India: A History suggests that although he said it is good not to kill animals or human beings: goats, sheep and cattle were regularly killed for eating; hunting-sacrifices were largely curtailed to reign in the brahmins, and he retained capital punishment as an option.  "Dhamma was carefully formulated so that essential interests should not be prejudiced while sectarian concerns were being accommodated."

I also found Early India by Romila Thapar who points out "Ashoka was not adamant in his insistence on non-violence. He recognized that there were occasions when violence might be unavoidable, for instance when forest-dwellers were troublesome...He also states that he would prefer his descendants not to conquer by force, but should it be necessary hopes they will conduct this conquest with a maximum of mercy and clemency."

She also suggests that he listed a certain number of animals, birds and fish that were considered inviolable, although the inviolability of some is linked to particular days of the calendar; so that rather than an early example of conservation of wildlife, their preservation likely points to a ritual or medicinal connection.

Apparently Thapar has written a book specifically on the Mauras where she situates information about Ashoka in historical and less of the most benevolent ruler and more one of shrewd, political insight.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Martinus

So in other words, he was the Obama of ancient India? :P

garbon

I hope not. Maurya civilization collapsed within 50 years of his death.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Minsky Moment

Everything good he ever did he learned from the Byzantines.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Valmy

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on June 01, 2009, 08:46:34 AM
Everything good he ever did he learned from the Byzantines.

:lol:

Ashoka is the most legendary leader of India.  Incredibly, for a ancient political leader, he has an almost saintly image.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Grey Fox

Saint-Louis remains the greatest leader of all time.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.