Breaking News - US Special Forces Carry Out Raids Into Two African Countries.

Started by mongers, October 05, 2013, 07:44:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

News is emerging about two seperate US special forces 'commando raids' in Libya and Somalia, early Saturday:

US commando raids 'target Islamist leaders in Africa'

US special forces have carried out two separate raids in Africa targeting senior Islamist militants, American officials say.

In Libya, US commandos are said to have captured an al-Qaeda leader accused of the 1998 bombings of the US embassies in Kenya and Tanzania.

Anas al-Libi was reportedly seized in Tripoli.

And a leader of the al-Shabab group was targeted in southern Somalia, but the raid appears to have failed.
'White soldiers'

Early reports said an al-Shabab leader had been captured by US Navy Seals in Somalia in the pre-dawn raid on Saturday in the Somali town of Barawe.

But the New York Times then said he was believed to have been killed in a pre-dawn firefight - and that the US troops were forced to withdraw before that could be confirmed.

However, the Associated Press and Reuters news agency quoted unnamed sources as saying that the Seals failed to find the intended target.

"The Barawe raid was planned a week and a half ago," a US security official told the New York Times.

"It was prompted by the Westgate attack," added the official, who was speaking on the condition of anonymity.

Al-Shabab earlier told the BBC that "white soldiers" had arrived by boat in Barawe and rebels had repulsed them, losing a fighter.

Local group commander Mohamed Abu Suleiman said the raid had failed and the group remained in control of Barawe.

Both Britain and Turkey deny al-Shabab claims that their forces had been involved in the operation.

Barawe residents said say they were woken up by heavy fighting before dawn.

"Gunfire broke out for about 10-15 minutes," an eyewitness told AFP news agency.

Full article here:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-24417099
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

derspiess

Everything is perfect in Libya.  There is no reason for there ever to have been special intervention there post-Khaddafi.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

11B4V

Quote from: mongers on October 05, 2013, 07:44:02 PM
In Libya, US commandos are said to have captured an al-Qaeda leader accused of the 1998 bombings of the US embassies in Kenya and Tanzania.

'bout time.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

CountDeMoney

This is just a cynical ploy by the Obama Administration to divert attention from the government shutdown with foreign policy events, and made especially craven by putting US forces in harm's way.  For shame.

Sheilbh

Quote from: derspiess on October 05, 2013, 07:47:40 PM
Everything is perfect in Libya.  There is no reason for there ever to have been special intervention there post-Khaddafi.
I don't understand what you're meaning here :mellow:
Let's bomb Russia!

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Sheilbh on October 05, 2013, 08:05:06 PM

He means that he's rooting for Mr. Issa to eventually get to the truth by connecting Ambassador Stevens to Vince Foster through Secretary Clinton.  I mean, it's so obvious, but the White House keeps stonewalling.

mongers

He means Gaddafi was a better option, the strong man keeping the lid on terrorism, well when he wasn't meeting European based terrorists.

11B4V

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 05, 2013, 08:08:36 PM

He means that he's rooting for Mr. Issa to eventually get to the truth by connecting Ambassador Stevens to Vince Foster through Secretary Clinton.  I mean, it's so obvious, but the White House keeps stonewalling.

Stevens was involved in gun running to Syria wasnt he?
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

CountDeMoney

Quote from: 11B4V on October 05, 2013, 08:10:44 PM

He may have been running from some that particular evening, possibly.

11B4V

mongers

Quote from: 11B4V on October 05, 2013, 08:10:44 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 05, 2013, 08:08:36 PM

My guess would be at best very tangentially, given the post-revolution breakdown in government authority, no guarding of arms dumps and the large number of revolutionaries and Libyan islamists wanting to spread their revolution to the wider middle east.
So I think plenty of arms and Libyan fighters made it to Syria without the need for US assistance.

Incidentally there seem to be a lot of FN FALs turning up in Syria, I presume most from Libya?

Siege

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"