News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

General Giap dies at 102

Started by Jacob, October 04, 2013, 11:22:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sheilbh on October 05, 2013, 08:09:28 PM
He's an interesting figure. I imagine he's pretty important in terms of theory.

Was anything he did really new though?  He seems to have cribbed most things from the Chinese.

Although Din Bin Foo is definitely interesting from an operational POV.

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 05, 2013, 08:09:59 PM
Quote from: mongers on October 05, 2013, 08:07:30 PM
I think Derspiess is at this very moment planning the beginnings of the Teaparty insurgency.

I think derspiess doesn't know what "penultimate" means, other than turning the "ultimate" dial to 11.

Go fuck yourself, Tim.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

mongers

Quote from: 11B4V on October 05, 2013, 08:16:42 PM
Quote from: mongers on October 05, 2013, 08:15:36 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on October 05, 2013, 08:13:31 PM
Quote from: mongers on October 05, 2013, 08:11:43 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on October 05, 2013, 08:09:19 PM
This thread reminded me i need to get The Last Valley off my amazon wish list.  ;)

I've got it, unread sitting about 8 feet from me, is it really not worth reading?

Dont know, but I will be finding out.  Probably order it next week. I have a gun show to go to tomorrow. Got to find more powder.

Cheers, I thought you meant taking it off your wish list, rather than removing it to put it in 'the basket'.

Reviews say it's detailed, which suits me. 700+ pages isnt it?

Heh, knew exactly where it was but couldn't see it, the books in that bookcase are hidden behind piles of maps.   :rolleyes:

725pages, for what it's worth has blurb on the front from Max Hastings, but on the back Richard Holmes sings it's praises.  :hmm:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

derspiess

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 05, 2013, 08:17:20 PM

Surround isolated enemy, apply pressure, disregard any losses from frontal assaults.  Rinse, lather, repeat.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

11B4V

IMO DBP is more interesting than Khe Shan.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

derspiess

Quote from: 11B4V on October 05, 2013, 08:31:05 PM

Well, yeah.  It worked.

Ed Anger

B-52's arc lighting the shit out of 2 NVA divisions less interesting?

COMMIE!
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 05, 2013, 08:17:20 PMWas anything he did really new though?  He seems to have cribbed most things from the Chinese.

I don't know, all I know about him is from 'The Utility of Force' and I don't know much about Mao in the civil war or WW2. I think the argument for him is that he brought together different bits of theory and implemented them well. Maybe not a great tactician but one of the great strategists.

The thing that strikes me from the obituaries is that he was a huge fan of Napoleon and how many of his successes seem quite influenced by that. They depended on speed, logistics and density of force which all seem - to me - very Napoleonic virtues.

Edit: Here's an interesting, admiring piece:
smallwarsjournal.com/documents/wadsworth.pdf‎
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

Quote from: derspiess on October 05, 2013, 08:29:28 PM
Surround isolated enemy

...transport enough heavy weaponry to pulverize enemy fortifications, prevent resupply and reinforcement by air, plus ammuniton, plus food, all across trackless jungle, and far from sources of supply, without the enemy being aware.

mongers

As a young child, I recall seeing black and white tv news reports perhaps about or from there, I can't be certain, but it's quite a vivid memory.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

derspiess

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 05, 2013, 08:38:36 PM
Quote from: derspiess on October 05, 2013, 08:29:28 PM
Surround isolated enemy

...transport enough heavy weaponry to pulverize enemy fortifications, prevent resupply and reinforcement by air, plus ammuniton, plus food, all across trackless jungle, and far from sources of supply, without the enemy being aware.

All that was an accomplishment, save for the very last part.  It was the French.

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on October 05, 2013, 08:46:37 PM
All that was an accomplishment, save for the very last part.  It was the French.

:mad: Man you just totally went on my shitlist.  MAY THE CARDS FOREVER LOSE IN FOUR.

I am going to call Art Briles and see if he can go for 100.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

11B4V

Quote from: Valmy on October 05, 2013, 08:54:25 PM
Quote from: derspiess on October 05, 2013, 08:46:37 PM

:mad: Man you just totally went on my shitlist.  MAY THE CARDS FOREVER LOSE IN FOUR.

You guys have the Legion, that counts for some cool points in my book.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Sheilbh

The French were too arrogant, but then so were the Americans later on.
Let's bomb Russia!

PDH

Quote from: Valmy on October 05, 2013, 08:54:25 PM

Wow, Valmy went all Murat on Spicey.  A frontal assault that managed to destroy the baggage train too.  Now I wonder if he can counter charge and get out of there.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM