News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Wendy Davis running for Governor of Texas

Started by merithyn, October 04, 2013, 08:25:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on October 04, 2013, 10:14:56 AM
Wendy's is actually one of my favorite fast food places and the one by my house is either being demolished or remodled.  TEH HORRAH!

I'm not big on fast food burgers, but I like their Jr. Bacon Cheeseburger (w/ lettuce only).
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

merithyn

I read this article a while ago, and found it really interesting. Not surprising, just interesting.

http://www.texasobserver.org/the-texas-legislatures-sexist-little-secret/

The sad thing is, I can see men reading this and going, "I don't understand what the big deal is with calling a woman 'sweetheart' or calling them attractive."
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Quote from: merithyn on October 04, 2013, 10:37:40 AM
The sad thing is, I can see men reading this and going, "I don't understand what the big deal is with calling a woman 'sweetheart' or calling them attractive."

At work?  When you are married?  Really?

I mean  legitimately being attracted and interested in somebody and discretely asking them out I get that, I mean I would never do that at work but I guess that is ok.  But most of that stuff is not that, it is sort of like whistling and yelling stuff to women on the street.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Malthus

Point is it is totally unprofessional behaviour, even if you are the biggest neanderthal mysoginist around.  :lol:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

merithyn

Quote from: Valmy on October 04, 2013, 10:51:27 AM
Quote from: merithyn on October 04, 2013, 10:37:40 AM

At work?  When you are married?  Really?

I mean  legitimately being attracted and interested in somebody and discretely asking them out I get that, I mean I would never do that at work but I guess that is ok.  But most of that stuff is not that, it is sort of like whistling and yelling stuff to women on the street.

I should have added "a lot of" before the word "men". Obviously, not all men think that it's okay, but I know plenty who don't see an issue with it.

Quote from: Malthus on October 04, 2013, 10:53:36 AM
Point is it is totally unprofessional behaviour, even if you are the biggest neanderthal mysoginist around.  :lol:

Of course it is. Like the writer said, it's middle school mentality in the house that makes the laws of that state.

derspiess

The gals at work call me "sweetie", "babe", etc. and somehow it never occurred to me to get all offended.

merithyn

Quote from: derspiess on October 04, 2013, 11:00:33 AM
The gals at work call me "sweetie", "babe", etc. and somehow it never occurred to me to get all offended.

I'm not sure that makes it any more professional.

derspiess

I think we maintain a pretty high level of professionalism overall.

merithyn

Quote from: derspiess on October 04, 2013, 11:05:40 AM
I think we maintain a pretty high level of professionalism overall.

Okay.

Question: If a woman in the office said, "I'd rather you didn't refer to me as dear," would you abstain from doing so?

Valmy

Great for you.  Not really sure how that is relevent to the article though.

'Something not really comparable at all happens to me and I am cool with it'
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on October 04, 2013, 11:08:30 AM

Great for you.  Not really sure how that is relevent to the article though.

'Something not really comparable at all happens to me and I am cool with it'

It's relevant to Meri's little commentary on the article.

Admiral Yi

merithyn

Given that those are the minor concerns brought up in the article, it really doesn't address much of anything. As I said, I can easily see men seeing nothing wrong with those particular items. If you read the article, however, you'll realize how it could become a major concern.

Jacob

Quote from: derspiess on October 04, 2013, 10:16:34 AMI'm not big on fast food burgers, but I like their Jr. Bacon Cheeseburger (w/ lettuce only).

You should try it with a beef patty, bacon, and cheese as well; I suspect it's even better than only lettuce :)