News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Do Bad Ideas Eventually Die ?

Started by mongers, October 03, 2013, 09:05:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Amon Goeth's granddaughter;

Not wishing to be rude to the young woman, that's just my somewhat simplistic spin on the story:

My Nazi grandfather, Amon Goeth, would have shot me

Jennifer Teege was shocked to discover her grandfather was a Nazi concentration camp commandant. Her mother never told her, and as a child she never knew her father - a Nigerian student with whom her mother had a brief affair. This is her story.

Five years ago in northern Germany, in Hamburg, I was in the central library and I came across a book. It was wrapped in a red cover and for some reason I was immediately drawn to it.

The title, translated into English, was I Have to Love My Father, Right? and it had a small picture of a woman on the front who looked faintly familiar.

So I took the book and quickly went through it. There were a lot of photos and as I looked at the book I felt something was wrong.

At the end, the author summed up some details about the woman on the cover and her family, and I realised they were a perfect match with what I knew about my own biological family.

Rest of article here:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-24347798
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Eddie Teach

Nah, I'm sure they'll always be there waiting to occur to the Mongers of the Future.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

jimmy olsen

Quote from: mongers on October 03, 2013, 09:05:50 PM
Not wishing to be rude to the young woman, that's just my somewhat simplistic spin on the story:

Not sure what you mean by that. :unsure:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

mongers

Quote from: jimmy olsen on October 03, 2013, 09:11:43 PM

Well it's pretty crude to post a photo of a young multi-racial woman and say "hah, the Nazis failed".

Viking

Max Planck observed that science progresses one funeral at a time. People rarely give up their bad ideas and they treasure them; so much they are often willing to die for them. Bad ideas die when they cease being taught to the next generation as if they were true.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Queequeg

Quote from: Ed Anger on October 03, 2013, 09:13:10 PM
Wow. What a butterface.
On what evidence do you presume she has a good body?
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

MadImmortalMan

Bad ideas eventually come back wearing different colors.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

dps

Quote from: mongers on October 03, 2013, 09:18:42 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on October 03, 2013, 09:11:43 PM

Well it's pretty crude to post a photo of a young multi-racial woman and say "hah, the Nazis failed".

The Nazis may have failed, but their ideas are still around, unfortunately.  Yeah, those ideas are a lot less popular than they were in the 1930s, but they're still around.

dps

Richard Hakluyt

I do not expect intolerance to ever die, the targets for intolerance will change of course.

mongers

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on October 04, 2013, 06:38:21 AM
I do not expect intolerance to ever die, the targets for intolerance will change of course.

Indeed and I'm surprised by the bile the Tories are spewing at the young unemployed people, the very people amongst the rest of us who don't bear some responsibility for the 2008 crisis. 

Richard Hakluyt

It has simplified the issue for me come the 2015 election; still don't know who I will vote for but it won't be the tories. I think miliband's price controls are rather pathetic but prefer them to this nastiness.

merithyn

Quote from: mongers on October 04, 2013, 07:34:10 AM

Indeed and I'm surprised by the bile the Tories are spewing at the young unemployed people, the very people amongst the rest of us who don't bear some responsibility for the 2008 crisis.

:blink:

Wow. That's a new level of low.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...