News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

A nation of Tyrs

Started by jimmy olsen, October 01, 2013, 09:29:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Those Welsh sure are an affectionate bunch.

mongers

Quote from: merithyn on October 02, 2013, 11:04:35 AM
Well then. Don't bother. I mean, I'm not sure how a gallon jug is going to put you out of so much space that you need to resort to the bathroom, .....

Just for Meri, a story about mead:

The drink of kings makes a comeback
By Kim Gittleson
BBC News, Maine

Long relegated to the dusty corners of history, mead - the drink of kings and Vikings - is making a comeback in the US.

But what's brewing in this new crop of commercial meaderies - as they are known - is lot more refined from the drink that once decorated tables across medieval Europe.

"Do we have any mead makers or home brewers in the group?" asks Ben Alexander, eying a crowd of a dozen or so people who have come to his Maine Meade Works, in Portland, on a rainy Friday for a tour.

When no-one raises their hand, Mr Alexander launches into the full spiel.

Rest of article here:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-24184527
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

merithyn

I've made period mead. There's a reason that no one makes it like that anymore. :ph34r:
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Jacob

Quote from: merithyn on October 03, 2013, 04:14:05 PM
I've made period mead. There's a reason that no one makes it like that anymore. :ph34r:

How does it taste?

merithyn

Quote from: Jacob on October 03, 2013, 04:16:28 PM
Quote from: merithyn on October 03, 2013, 04:14:05 PM

How does it taste?

Harsh and sour.

The biggest difference is that in medieval times, the concept of letting a wine or mead age was alien to them. You made it to drink, not to sit in a cask somewhere. Oh, sure, higher lords and royalty could - and often did - have aged wines and meads, but those were for big events where they were showing off. It required space to store the mead, casks that could be made air-tight (an expensive proposition for your average 14th century brewer), and usually some form of preservative, which wasn't always full-proof.

The typical beer and mead was made, allowed to ferment for a few days - maybe a week or two at most - bottled, and then drank almost immediately. If you've ever had raw beer or mead, you'll understand what I mean. It's... rough. And not very alcoholic to make up for it.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive