13th Century Mass Murderer Identified By Modern 'Criminal' Investigation.

Started by mongers, October 01, 2013, 05:13:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: frunk on October 02, 2013, 02:48:17 PM
Quote from: Valmy on October 02, 2013, 02:41:32 PM
Quote from: frunk on October 02, 2013, 02:31:03 PM
Did GF hijack Valmy's account?

Not that I am aware of.  This was just something that always bothered me in reading history so I brought it up.

This sentence baffles me:

QuoteI was commenting on how you have been oppressed all your life by dismissive history types so like hell you are bend over and apologize now.

It was in response to this sentence:
QuoteSo you'll have to forgive me if I don't bend over backwards in apology for actually saying, "Yeah, not that interesting. There's massive amounts of stuff on it, and I don't really care."

So I considered myself served.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Maximus

Quote from: Valmy on October 02, 2013, 02:46:04 PM
Now that is just low.  I swear to God this was an honest question and I meant to approach it with zero bile.

I'm sorry. I take it back; I'm not the best communicator myself.

What I meant to say is: your initial post introduced a great deal of negativity to the thread that had not been there before.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

garbon

Quote from: The Brain on October 02, 2013, 02:57:03 PM
Oh it had been there; it's always there, waiting.

:yes:

V just brought it to light. Clearly Mer had as big of a chip on her shoulder as V, just in the other direction.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Malthus

Quote from: mongers on October 02, 2013, 02:53:47 PM
Quote from: Malthus on October 02, 2013, 02:49:49 PM

Shit, you think you had it bad? Try Canadian history teaching in the late 70s early 80s.  :lol: That pretty well defines boredom.

OK you win, no contest there.  :)

Since then, I've learned that Canadian history is downright bizzare. 

I mean, what other country can trace its foundation to a style of hat?  :lol:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

PDH

I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Valmy

Quote from: Maximus on October 02, 2013, 02:56:10 PM
Quote from: Valmy on October 02, 2013, 02:46:04 PM
Now that is just low.  I swear to God this was an honest question and I meant to approach it with zero bile.

I'm sorry. I take it back; I'm not the best communicator myself.

What I meant to say is: your initial post introduced a great deal of negativity to the thread that had not been there before.

I found this was a big problem during the semester last Spring.  The farther I get in and the more tired I get and frazzled I start making some really bad posts.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Maximus

Quote from: Valmy on October 02, 2013, 03:05:01 PM
I found this was a big problem during the semester last Spring.  The farther I get in and the more tired I get and frazzled I start making some really bad posts.
Yea, I can sympathize with that.

merithyn

Quote from: garbon on October 02, 2013, 02:58:31 PM

V just brought it to light. Clearly Mer had as big of a chip on her shoulder as V, just in the other direction.

Oh my fucking god.

The thread was - WAS - about a particular time in history that I enjoy, regarding a particular subject that I enjoy. I mention that I think it's cool as hell, and that I prefer this over the other stuff that has shit-tons of information floating around about it.

That's all I said. That's it. Seriously. Read back through. In fact, I stated it over and over and over again. "No offense meant, this just isn't my thing." "It's easier to figure that stuff out than the stuff that I've been studying, but hey, if that's your bag, go for it." And somehow - someone please explain this to me - I'M the one with a chip on MY shoulder?

This thread could have been awesome. It could have been this really fabulous place to talk about history, about how fun it is to learn this kind of thing, and where and how. But no. Because it's Languish, this is what it turns into.

Thanks, Valmy and garbon. You guys fucking rock.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

PDH

Quote from: Maximus on October 02, 2013, 03:07:56 PM
Quote from: Valmy on October 02, 2013, 03:05:01 PM
Yea, I can sympathize with that.

Fuck you
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Malthus

Another promising thread ruined by the out of control passions of academic types.

Clearly, what this site needs is more lawyers.  :P
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

garbon

Quote from: merithyn on October 02, 2013, 03:12:14 PM
Quote from: garbon on October 02, 2013, 02:58:31 PM

Oh my fucking god.

The thread was - WAS - about a particular time in history that I enjoy, regarding a particular subject that I enjoy. I mention that I think it's cool as hell, and that I prefer this over the other stuff that has shit-tons of information floating around about it.

That's all I said. That's it. Seriously. Read back through. In fact, I stated it over and over and over again. "No offense meant, this just isn't my thing." "It's easier to figure that stuff out than the stuff that I've been studying, but hey, if that's your bag, go for it." And somehow - someone please explain this to me - I'M the one with a chip on MY shoulder?

This thread could have been awesome. It could have been this really fabulous place to talk about history, about how fun it is to learn this kind of thing, and where and how. But no. Because it's Languish, this is what it turns into.

Thanks, Valmy and garbon. You guys fucking rock.

I've a riddle for you. Who said this?

QuoteOh, I'm sorry. Was I supposed to pretend to mongers - who, like me, prefers to learn about the more mundane aspects of history - that I gave a shit about that stuff just to appease you? I didn't realize! From now on, I'll be sure to curtail my every word to make sure that it doesn't offend someone with a different opinion on the topic.

And by the way, I've spent my entire life hearing about how fucking awesome learning about wars, military prowess, politics, etc., are compared to mundane life. How unimportant my area of interst is to "the grand scheme of things". So you'll have to forgive me if I don't bend over backwards in apology for actually saying, "Yeah, not that interesting. There's massive amounts of stuff on it, and I don't really care."
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

merithyn

Quote from: garbon on October 02, 2013, 03:18:54 PM

I've a riddle for you. Who said this?

QuoteOh, I'm sorry. Was I supposed to pretend to mongers - who, like me, prefers to learn about the more mundane aspects of history - that I gave a shit about that stuff just to appease you? I didn't realize! From now on, I'll be sure to curtail my every word to make sure that it doesn't offend someone with a different opinion on the topic.

And by the way, I've spent my entire life hearing about how fucking awesome learning about wars, military prowess, politics, etc., are compared to mundane life. How unimportant my area of interst is to "the grand scheme of things". So you'll have to forgive me if I don't bend over backwards in apology for actually saying, "Yeah, not that interesting. There's massive amounts of stuff on it, and I don't really care."

Just out of curiosity, before it got to that point, how many times did I say, "Not my bag, but if you like it, cool"? And what part of:

QuoteSo you'll have to forgive me if I don't bend over backwards in apology for actually saying, "Yeah, not that interesting. There's massive amounts of stuff on it, and I don't really care."

is offensive? Because I don't feel a need to apologize for prefering a different aspect of history, I've got some chip on my shoulder?

But you know, whatever. I tried to be done with this line of chatter earlier, only to have you drag me back in with a mischaracterization. Silly me for allowing that to happen.

garbon

Quote from: merithyn on October 02, 2013, 03:23:57 PM
And what part of:

is offensive? Because I don't feel a need to apologize for prefering a different aspect of history, I've got some chip on my shoulder?

Are you kidding? That's clearly a jerk response. Fine if you want to go there but don't pretend your hands aren't dirty.

The chip is this piece:
QuoteAnd by the way, I've spent my entire life hearing about how fucking awesome learning about wars, military prowess, politics, etc., are compared to mundane life. How unimportant my area of interst is to "the grand scheme of things".

Besides, mis-characterization? I think you and mongers have made clear that you weren't initially intending to be offensive - and at least I stated that I understood that even though it had seemed dismissive to me.

merithyn

Quote from: garbon on October 02, 2013, 03:29:10 PM
Quote from: merithyn on October 02, 2013, 03:23:57 PM
And what part of:

Are you kidding? That's clearly a jerk response. Fine if you want to go there but don't pretend your hands aren't dirty.

The chip is this piece:
QuoteAnd by the way, I've spent my entire life hearing about how fucking awesome learning about wars, military prowess, politics, etc., are compared to mundane life. How unimportant my area of interst is to "the grand scheme of things".

Besides, mis-characterization? I think you and mongers have made clear that you weren't initially intending to be offensive - and at least I stated that I understood that even though it had seemed dismissive to me.

Okay. Clearly, I was the problem in this thread.