News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Cold Remedies

Started by merithyn, September 30, 2013, 10:51:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

What is/are your favorite(s)? Choose any that you use.

Chicken soup
Fluids & Saline flushes
Over the counter meds - Dayquil,
Humidifier/Steam
Zinc/Vitamin C/Some other natural remedy
Rest/Sleep
Other - do share

The Brain

Lots of food. For energy.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Jacob

Sleeping is the main thing. That, taking lots of fluids, and eating as much as my appetite allows.

mongers

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

garbon

Quote from: Jacob on September 30, 2013, 03:53:06 PM
Quote from: mongers on September 30, 2013, 01:47:55 PM
Other - Man up.

Why?

Maybe you'll have better luck as he didn't answer me when I asked that before.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Capetan Mihali

Avoid sugar, starch, and dairy.  Stay as warm and dry as possible.

I used to use the Zycam nasal swabs at the first sign of a cold, but they've since been recalled for permanently destroying the sense of smell in some number of people.  Oops.

Back when I used to get sick all the time, I experimented with a few new-agey (and/or foreign) remedies.  With a bad sore throat I couldn't shake, I had surprising success gargling a mixture of boiling hot water, apple cider vinegar, and cayenne pepper.  It's not for the faint of heart though. :yucky: 

I also used the neti pot someone gave me.  I'm pretty sure they sell them at CVS/Rite Aid/etc these days.  I found it hard to figure out (and also kind of disgusting) at first, but once I got the hang of the whole "dumping a teapot up your nose" routine, it definitely provided some decent relief from the congestion symptoms.  You need to put enough salt in the water, or else it burns like a motherfucker, and you want to warm the water to roughly human body temperature.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

sbr

My mom used to make us gargle warm salt water where we had a sore throat. I learned pretty quick to not tell her about those.

MadBurgerMaker

I use that Tylenol Cold and Flu stuff and sleep a lot if I can.  If I can't, like if I have to work or something, I use the Daytime version of that stuff and spread my sickness to my coworkers as punishment for making me be there.  :)

Darth Wagtaros

Booze, Nettie Pot, and cardio workout.
PDH!

garbon

I don't think I would ever use a neti pot. :x
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ideologue

I didn't see an entry for "functional immune system," so I chose "rest."
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Vricklund

Keep so busy that you don't have time to get sick. As soon as you begin to wind down, that's when shit like this hits you.

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: garbon on September 30, 2013, 06:33:21 PM
I don't think I would ever use a neti pot. :x
It is an awful experience, but it works. Temporarily at least.
PDH!