Warn your daughters - technology in the bedroom can be a problem

Started by merithyn, September 27, 2013, 01:57:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

This thread made me think of 'Bring Your Daughter To The Slaughter' by Iron Maiden.  Therefore, it meets with my approval. :punk:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

lustindarkness

Grand Duke of Lurkdom

merithyn

I don't, as a rule, leave my laptop on, so it's not really an issue for me. It's definitely something to keep in mind for Riley, though.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

On a laptop all you should have to do is leave the lid closed.  Even if someone could turn the machine on all they would get is an extreme closeup of the keyboard.

The Brain

Quote from: Baron von Schtinkenbutt on September 27, 2013, 04:53:34 PM
On a laptop all you should have to do is leave the lid closed.  Even if someone could turn the machine on all they would get is an extreme closeup of the keyboard.

So they get your fingerprints. No harm possible there.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

garbon

I feel like Vanity Fair or New York magazine had a piece a few months back on another kid like this.

I did disable the device manager for my work computer. Don't need IT watching me. :angry:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Caliga on September 27, 2013, 04:15:19 PM
This thread made me think of 'Bring Your Daughter To The Slaughter' by Iron Maiden.  Therefore, it meets with my approval. :punk:

Iron maiden sucks.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

MadImmortalMan

It's not just about peeping toms. Or whatever the female equivalent of that is. Last year there was an incident where a hacker got in to the videoconference array of a Dow 30 company and listened clandestinely to their quarterly results meeting. Then they did some insider trading ahead of the announcements based on what they heard.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Iormlund

Quote from: garbon on September 27, 2013, 04:56:48 PM
I feel like Vanity Fair or New York magazine had a piece a few months back on another kid like this.

A guy from my neighbourhood was arrested for this as well recently.

Ideologue

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on September 27, 2013, 05:46:48 PM
It's not just about peeping toms. Or whatever the female equivalent of that is. Last year there was an incident where a hacker got in to the videoconference array of a Dow 30 company and listened clandestinely to their quarterly results meeting. Then they did some insider trading ahead of the announcements based on what they heard.

This is why STEM is king.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

DontSayBanana

Quote from: The Brain on September 27, 2013, 04:54:35 PM
So they get your fingerprints. No harm possible there.

Dude, no built-in webcam has a resolution that good.  Also, they're lacking in the lighting, so it's more like leaving the lens cap on the camera.
Experience bij!

Razgovory

Quote from: Ideologue on September 27, 2013, 08:32:23 PM
Quote from: MadImmortalMan on September 27, 2013, 05:46:48 PM

This is why STEM is king.

Gee, wasn't there a person on this board that kept telling you to go into engineering instead of law.  I wonder who that was...
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ideologue

And I don't keep a broken clock around just because it tells the right time twice a day either.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)