Lightsabers, Quantum Computers, Photons Bonding Together As New Form of Matter!

Started by jimmy olsen, September 27, 2013, 10:16:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

I'm Geeking Out! :w00t:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-57604823-1/science-trumps-the-force-to-create-a-real-life-lightsaber/

QuoteScience trumps the Force to create a real-life lightsaber

Researchers from MIT and Harvard create a new form of matter and teach us all a lesson about the power of quantum friendship.

by Eric Mack
September 26, 2013 1:52 PM PDT

In journalism, there's something called a lede, which is just another word for the main or most important part of your story. Normally you want to lay it out for the reader in the first sentence or two. Obviously, I'm hesitating here.

That's because I can't decide if it's more important that researchers at MIT and Harvard have just managed to create a previously unobserved form of matter by getting photons to bind together into molecules, or the fact that the result is basically a real-life lightsaber -- that could be part of a quantum computer one day.

Actually, I think what this story is really about is...friendship.

See, photons -- which are the elementary particles of light -- tend to be massless and kind of aloof. If you shoot two laser beams at each other, the photons just pass right through each other without so much as a hello or a high five.

But when the researchers fired a few photons into a vacuum chamber with a cloud of extremely cold rubidium atoms to take advantage of an effect called a Rydberg blockade, the photons started hanging out and even left the chamber together as the first "photonic molecule" -- a sort of quantum bromance -- ever observed.

And it's that bond between new particle bros that creates the new form of matter, which bears a resemblance to that most awesome weapon from a galaxy far, far away.

"It's not an in-apt analogy to compare this to lightsabers," said Harvard Professor of Physics Mikhail Lukin in a news release. "When these photons interact with each other, they're pushing against and deflect each other. The physics of what's happening in these molecules is similar to what we see in the movies."

The team made no mention of the potential for weaponizing the new molecules to take on any Sith lords, but I suppose DARPA or any number of Jedi masters who follow Crave could come calling at any moment.

Photonic molecules would be more likely to advance quantum computing, according to Lukin: "Photons remain the best possible means to carry quantum information. The handicap, though, has been that photons don't interact with each other."

Until now. Turns out you just had to get some photons in the same place and introduce them to each other through some totally chill atoms, and they'll actually hit it off.

Lukin says this new bond between photons could also have practical applications for contemporary chipmakers working to convert light into electric signals.

Most mind-blowing of all, he also suggests the breakthrough could one day lead to technologies that allow for the creation of complex 3D structures, like crystals, made out of light.

Dude, these Cambridge smarties didn't just make "Star Wars" real, they've brought "TRON" to life at the same time! All because of the power of friendship ... and science!
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

grumbler

Worst "science" article ever?  Possible.  I dare anyone to find worse from a mainstream (yeah, I know, cnet, but still) source.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

jimmy olsen

Quote from: grumbler on September 27, 2013, 01:05:48 PM
Worst "science" article ever?  Possible.  I dare anyone to find worse from a mainstream (yeah, I know, cnet, but still) source.
I read several articles on this and they were all worse than this one.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

Razgovory

Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 27, 2013, 07:51:17 PM
Quote from: grumbler on September 27, 2013, 01:05:48 PM
I read several articles on this and they were all worse than this one.

Well lay them on us!
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Siege

Quote"It's not an in-apt analogy to compare this to lightsabers," said Harvard Professor of Physics Mikhail Lukin in a news release.

:o 

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Jaron

Winner of THE grumbler point.

grumbler

Quote from: Jaron on September 29, 2013, 02:57:40 PM
What didn't you like about the article, grumbler?

Other than the way it was misleading, made science look stupid, pretty much missed the point of the experiment, and added in a bunch of irrelevant crap about "light sabers," I thought it was fine.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

jimmy olsen

1 Karma Chameleon point

Jaron

I think in part it was a scientific concept that would be hard to portray without relating it to someone most people know, and also in part that "scientists create light saber" is an eye catching headline.
Winner of THE grumbler point.

grumbler

Quote from: Jaron on September 29, 2013, 05:42:09 PM
I think in part it was a scientific concept that would be hard to portray without relating it to someone most people know, and also in part that "scientists create light saber" is an eye catching headline.

Except that it was a scientific concept that had nothing to do with light sabers, some doofus professor's ramblings about "not an in-apt analogy" notwithstanding.  Light sabers are a result of special effects, not physics.

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 29, 2013, 05:02:51 PM
Every article I saw had light saber in the title.

https://news.google.com/news?ncl=dkBHHn0LUvCap_M2CDNILOTxs1g3M&q=photons+new+form+of+matter&lr=English&hl=en

Here's one that doesn't: http://phys.org/news/2013-09-scientists-never-before-seen.html "Scientists create never-before-seen form of matter"

You'd think that the labratory creation of a new (and potentially highly useful) form of matter would be exciting enough that even a cnet.com writer would see the significance.  But, no.  He babbles about bromances between photons and about light sabers, instead.

Bayraktar!

PDH

I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM