Leading Scientists Weigh In on the Mother of All Climate Reports

Started by Syt, September 27, 2013, 09:05:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

Quote from: crazy canuck on September 27, 2013, 10:45:02 AM
Tamas, I am not sure where you got that quote.  It wasnt from the article you linked.  The article you linked is a prediction that warming ocean temperatures will mean a dramatic drop in phytoplankton because the various species of those organisms have adapted to live within the ocean temperatures they currently inhabit and this research has concluded they will not be able to adapt fast enough to the warming temperatures which which cause a massive die off.

What you may have confused is the notion that some species may be able to migrate north to inhabit niche areas that are similar to their current temperatures.  But there is no suggestion at all in that report that the die off with be balanced off by such a migration.

Another related observation has been made regarding the Lobster fishery.  In recent years the fishery in Nova Scotia has had boom years as the local waters warm and the lobsters move north.  This seemed like a good news story for Nova Scotia but scientists have recently predicted that the northward migration will continue north as oceans continue to warm.    The prediction will be that not only will the lobsters move further north but that there will also be a dramatic drop in the lobster population because the waters of the far north are limited in the amount of biodiversity they can support even if they do warm to the current temperatures of southern bodies of water.

My quote was the title of the article.

And my issue is simply that it is tantrumed as an end of the world scenario. Which may be for humans and a lot of other species (although that migration story you mentioned hints otherwise for the other species bit), but it is not for Earth, nor for life on it in general.

It is not an important distinction from our perspective, but still should be mentioned from time to time because often the impression I get from these reports and the activists quoting them that if we put our mind to it, we could stop all climate change forever, period. And that is highly delusional on the long term.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Tamas on September 27, 2013, 11:10:08 AM
And my issue is simply that it is tantrumed as an end of the world scenario. Which may be for humans and a lot of other species (although that migration story you mentioned hints otherwise for the other species bit), but it is not for Earth, nor for life on it in general.

Ok, so we shouldnt worry because while we might die off with most of the rest of the species something will survive.  Are you serious!

The Brain

Tamas, I am not sure where you got that quote.  It wasnt from the article you linked.  The article you linked is a prediction that warming ocean temperatures will mean a dramatic drop in phytoplankton because the various species of those organisms have adapted to live within the ocean temperatures they currently inhabit and this research has concluded they will not be able to adapt fast enough to the warming temperatures which which cause a massive die off.

What you may have confused is the notion that some species may be able to migrate north to inhabit niche areas that are similar to their current temperatures.  But there is no suggestion at all in that report that the die off with be balanced off by such a migration.

Another related observation has been made regarding the Lobster fishery.  In recent years the fishery in Nova Scotia has had boom years as the local waters warm and the lobsters move north.  This seemed like a good news story for Nova Scotia but scientists have recently predicted that the northward migration will continue north as oceans continue to warm.    The prediction will be that not only will the lobsters move further north but that there will also be a dramatic drop in the lobster population because the waters of the far north are limited in the amount of biodiversity they can support even if they do warm to the current temperatures of southern bodies of water.

Ouch.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

crazy canuck

Quote from: The Brain on September 27, 2013, 11:21:27 AM

Ouch.

Not really.  If one reads the body of the article and title makes no sense. 

The Brain

Quote from: crazy canuck on September 27, 2013, 11:23:17 AM

Ouch.

So you don't see stuff that doesn't make sense? Do you even know where you are?

crazy canuck

Quote from: The Brain on September 27, 2013, 11:25:05 AM

Ouch.

I apologize for reading the content of the article and not jumpting to a conclusion from a misleading title which probably wasnt written by the article's author.

merithyn

Quote from: crazy canuck on September 27, 2013, 11:26:04 AM

I apologize for reading the content of the article and not jumpting to a conclusion from a misleading title which probably wasnt written by the article's author.

Tamas linked a second article that somewhat contradicts the first.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

The Brain

Quote from: crazy canuck on September 27, 2013, 11:26:04 AM
Quote from: The Brain on September 27, 2013, 11:25:05 AM

Ouch.

Jumpting? :unsure:

Eddie Teach

Quote from: crazy canuck on September 27, 2013, 11:19:32 AM
Ok, so we shouldnt worry because while we might die off with most of the rest of the species something will survive.  Are you serious!

Humans are more adaptable than just about any other species. We have people living in the Arctic, the desert, the rain forest, on boats... Anything that kills us off will take the vast majority of other species as well.

I find man-made global warming highly unlikely to finish the job as once it starts cutting into our population it reduces the processes that are fueling it. That is not to say that it's not a potentially very serious problem.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

crazy canuck

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on September 27, 2013, 11:35:02 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on September 27, 2013, 11:19:32 AM

Humans are more adaptable than just about any other species. We have people living in the Arctic, the desert, the rain forest, on boats... Anything that kills us off will take the vast majority of other species as well.

I find man-made global warming highly unlikely to finish the job as once it starts cutting into our population it reduces the processes that are fueling it. That is not to say that it's not a potentially very serious problem.

Not sure how any of those interesting incites about the potential of the human race to survive once decimated by global warming helps at all.

Eddie Teach

Eddie Teach

Quote from: crazy canuck on September 27, 2013, 11:51:26 AM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on September 27, 2013, 11:47:02 AM
Not sure what you want help with.

eradicating people who think this report is merely sexy.

Step 1: Drive south
Step 2: Buy gun
Step 3: I think you can figure this one out

Berkut

Quote from: Jacob on September 27, 2013, 10:39:12 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 27, 2013, 10:28:13 AM
Quote from: derspiess on September 27, 2013, 09:18:08 AM
Yep, they sexed it up as expected.
Elaborate.

Not adding GOP anti-science talking points = sexing up

Exactly.

It doesn't matter for people like derspiess. There is no amount of science that can change their core faith that there is nothing to see here, it is just a vast conspiracy to convince us to waste huge amounts of resources for no particular reason.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Richard Hakluyt

The subject attracts fundamentalists from both extremes, which obscures what we should rationally be doing about the problem.

I don't believe there is any real threat to humanity's existence but, on the other hand, a lot of real estate is on the shoreline, changes in climate could lead to food shortages (especially at a regional level), changes from the previous equilibrium may lead to extreme weather events that destroy property.

It really comes down to what is the real cost of carbon-based fuels, it is almost certain that we are not paying that cost and that is a major problem.