How much of your insurance premium do you pay yourself?

Started by Admiral Yi, September 25, 2013, 03:59:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

I live in Sweden which is pretty much Paradise on Earth.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

garbon

I think mine is 0 or near 0 for basic health/dental. Vision is then 8 bucks bi-weekly.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Barrister

Quote from: derspiess on September 25, 2013, 04:35:21 PM
Quote from: Barrister on September 25, 2013, 04:06:30 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 25, 2013, 03:59:41 PM
Prompted by sbr's comment in the other thread.

I pay like $83 biweekly for single coverage, which I do not consider a great deal.

Let's see...

I pay $100 biweekly for all the maxed out family benefits I could get.  Enhanced medical , drug and dental.

Basic health insurance of course is free in this country, but you have to pay for the extras...

What does the enhanced get you?

A whole whack of things.  Dental is 80% coverage with no maximum (so we pay 20% of the cost).  It was awesome when my wife was also a government employee - the overlapping plans meant we paid nothing.  Drugs cover 80% of costs up to $5,000 (then 100% coverage), with no maximum.

Medical covers ambulances, private hospital rooms, emergency travel coverage, vision plans, that kind of thing.

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

Quote from: derspiess on September 25, 2013, 04:35:21 PM
Quote from: Barrister on September 25, 2013, 04:06:30 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 25, 2013, 03:59:41 PM
Prompted by sbr's comment in the other thread.

I pay like $83 biweekly for single coverage, which I do not consider a great deal.

Let's see...

I pay $100 biweekly for all the maxed out family benefits I could get.  Enhanced medical , drug and dental.

Basic health insurance of course is free in this country, but you have to pay for the extras...

What does the enhanced get you?

Put simply you dont pay for anything yourself or at least very little.

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

ulmont

50%.  Something like 450 a month for 2 people health / dental / vision.

grumbler

I pay about $150 a month into my Health Savings Account (thus, pre-tax, but out of pocket).  The school picks up the premium for the 100%-coverage-after-$3000 plan.  So, what I actually pay is whatever I spend, up to $3000 in a year.

Anything I don't spend of the HSA in a year rolls over into subsequent years, so technically I could stop making any payments until my HSA account valued zeroed out.  For various tax reasons, though, that's a bad idea.

Next year, I will probably up my HSA deposits a bit, as costs have jumped for a couple of medicines I take.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

Grey Fox

Me? nothing, it's entirely paid for by my employer. I pay taxes on it tho. Drugs are covered at 80% until I've spent 350$ then it's 100%.

My girlfriend pays 19$/month for the minimun coverage. We'd drop it entirely but we can't.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Sheilbh on September 26, 2013, 07:31:32 AM
That's a strange way round :mellow:

As a premium, I'd agree with you, but 50/50 plans aren't uncommon here in the US; the premium's lower, but medical bills are split right down the middle.
Experience bij!

Sheilbh

Quote from: DontSayBanana on September 26, 2013, 07:46:45 AM
As a premium, I'd agree with you, but 50/50 plans aren't uncommon here in the US; the premium's lower, but medical bills are split right down the middle.
I meant I think I'd remember the $ figure but not be sure on the %.
Let's bomb Russia!

Caliga

I forget how much but isn't definitely not all that much.  Prior to 1/1/2013 it was $0.  But then my company grew too much to make that sort of a deal sustainable. :glare:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

KRonn

For single coverage I pay $27 biweekly for coverage, employer pays $234.

Dental is $9 for me and $9 employer contribution, biweekly.