Question for Carrot and maybe others re: New Jersey

Started by Caliga, September 25, 2013, 12:22:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

Apparently they decided to put in an offer on a different house, but I don't have any details on the other house yet.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Admiral Yi

Your parents will need to start brushing up on their Guido.

Caliga

Quote from: garbon on September 25, 2013, 05:29:18 PM
I go to Cape May/Wildwood Crest every summer but that's a bit further south.
Missed the second part of your post earlier... isn't Wildwood a poor people beach town? :hmm:

Caliga

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 26, 2013, 03:24:54 PM
Your parents will need to start brushing up on their Guido.
:cool:

What's weird to me is that they don't seem to be looking for property on Brigantine, where they go for at least one week a year and which is a really nice island... but one that used to literally be run by the Mafia back in the day. :showoff:

garbon

Quote from: Caliga on September 26, 2013, 03:32:43 PM
Quote from: garbon on September 25, 2013, 05:29:18 PM
I go to Cape May/Wildwood Crest every summer but that's a bit further south.
Missed the second part of your post earlier... isn't Wildwood a poor people beach town? :hmm:

Wildwood Crest is a bit different / quieter. Most of the people near my friend's parents' home are all retired with nice homes.  Wildwood/North Wildwood is the party spot with lots of young people who come in from Pittsburgh. It's the part with the boardwalk. 
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Caliga

Oh, I see.  I didn't realize there were 'multiple' Wildwoods.  The mantra with Wildwood when I was a kid was always just 'AVOID'. :blush:

garbon

Quote from: Caliga on September 26, 2013, 04:14:39 PM
Oh, I see.  I didn't realize there were 'multiple' Wildwoods.  The mantra with Wildwood when I was a kid was always just 'AVOID'. :blush:

If I had to guess it probably was just one thing and then realtors started diverging them to make things more attractive. That'd be my guess. :D

Actually wiki says I'm wrong and they all "The Wilwoods" were all started up at the same time.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Caliga

Yeah, I'm just not that familiar with the shore communities south of Ocean City.  When I was a kid we spent pretty much all of our time on LBI proper, and everything else was in Atlantic City and Ocean City (which always had the best boardwalk).

Caliga

Quote from: Caliga on September 26, 2013, 03:24:03 PM
Apparently they decided to put in an offer on a different house, but I don't have any details on the other house yet.
:wacko:

When I asked my mother whether she bid on the first house or another one, her answer was "Yes."

Anyway, the other houses they looked at were in Tuckerton.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Caliga on September 26, 2013, 09:27:55 AM
Quote from: Malthus on September 26, 2013, 09:20:09 AM
Well, at least they aren't moving to Newark.  ;)
Are you kidding?  Like true Philadelphians, they hate north Jersey. :)

Truly sad to see Eagles paraphenalia all over the place in the Giants home state.   :weep:
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Caliga

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on September 26, 2013, 04:55:26 PM
Truly sad to see Eagles Iggles paraphenalia all over the place in the Giants home state.   :weep:
Fixed.

Caliga

So, assuming the home inspection scheduled for Thursday goes well, my parents will buy that house.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: DontSayBanana on September 26, 2013, 07:41:07 AM
Quiet pretty much sums it up.  It's off Route 9 in Little Egg Harbor Township- in that part of Ocean County, even Route 9 is sparse to moderate housing along the road.  Seems like it's less dense with condos and crap than places like Sea Bright or Sandy Hook further north, but it also seems like developers are trying to change that.  Also, a word of warning: not sure how your parents are about beaches, but they almost ALL require beach tags now, and shorefront property has a nasty habit of coming with a homeowner's association who build that into the price of membership.

What's a beach tag?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

garbon

Quote from: jimmy olsen on October 13, 2013, 10:33:15 PM
Quote from: DontSayBanana on September 26, 2013, 07:41:07 AM
Quiet pretty much sums it up.  It's off Route 9 in Little Egg Harbor Township- in that part of Ocean County, even Route 9 is sparse to moderate housing along the road.  Seems like it's less dense with condos and crap than places like Sea Bright or Sandy Hook further north, but it also seems like developers are trying to change that.  Also, a word of warning: not sure how your parents are about beaches, but they almost ALL require beach tags now, and shorefront property has a nasty habit of coming with a homeowner's association who build that into the price of membership.

What's a beach tag?

Presumably the tag that let's you park at a specific beach or without it you get to pay a fine.

Caliga

Nope, the tag is levied per person, not car, and you need to carry/wear it when you're on the beach.  Totally lame.