North Korea just conducted another nuclear test

Started by Baron von Schtinkenbutt, May 25, 2009, 12:06:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Quote from: Alatriste on May 30, 2009, 02:44:29 AM
Quote from: The Brain on May 29, 2009, 12:50:28 PM
In today's paper Hans Blix made a fool of himself again. "LOL Israel should get rid of their nukes (if the ME was made a nuke free zone), they are safer with no nukes at all in the region, their conventional forces are sufficient". Yeah, their conventional forces sure protected them against war in the 40s-70s. Thanks Hans, go sleep it off.

In Swedish: http://www.svd.se/opinion/brannpunkt/artikel_2971871.svd

Neither did their nukes... thay had them at least in 1973, perhaps earlier.

I happen to agree with him, by the way. With a big conventional superiority, no Cold War, no USSR, an American alliance and a peace treaty with Egypt too, Israel is no longer in danger of being overrun by Arab armies, a term these days means Syria and Syria alone.

Actually, Israel should scrap nukes just because they aren't worth the money spent and the negative publicity price (and perhaps never were, since Israel could count on America's protection)
Negative publicity? Where?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Brain

How much did the Arabs know about Israeli nukes in 67 or 73 (non-rhetorical)? Did they know that they were gonna get (partially) glassed if they won big? Quick googling suggests that the US, which had inspected the Dimona facility several times and had friendly relations with Israel on several levels, had a fairly vague picture of the program.

http://www.fas.org/nuke/guide/israel/nuke/
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Neil

Quote from: Alatriste on May 30, 2009, 02:44:29 AM
I happen to agree with him, by the way. With a big conventional superiority, no Cold War, no USSR, an American alliance and a peace treaty with Egypt too, Israel is no longer in danger of being overrun by Arab armies, a term these days means Syria and Syria alone.

Actually, Israel should scrap nukes just because they aren't worth the money spent and the negative publicity price (and perhaps never were, since Israel could count on America's protection)
Given the reality of a nuclear Iran, I'd say that would be a stupid idea, and you should be ashamed of yourself for suggesting it.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.