News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

AGEOD to make American Civil War II

Started by Syt, June 17, 2013, 12:39:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Languish has always been full of nattering nabobs of negativity, but I find in recent months it's become worse. Or I'm just noticing it more.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Razgovory

Quote from: Valmy on September 03, 2013, 09:34:32 AM
Quote from: PDH on August 29, 2013, 07:57:00 PM
The North had such great advantages in 1862 that they should have run all over the South.  Properly organized they can.  Still, it does make for a crappy gaming experience.

In the west they did sorta...even with morons like Halleck and Buell in charge.

I was under the impression that under Burnside they formed massive "grand divisions".  It didn't work, but that might just be because Burnside not that good at organizing things.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Tamas

Quote from: Syt on September 18, 2013, 12:43:40 AM
Languish has always been full of nattering nabobs of negativity, but I find in recent months it's become worse. Or I'm just noticing it more.

Yeah.

Anyways, I really should not get involved in this discussion, as I cannot really be labelled objective on it anymore :P, but I really don`t get Habbaku`s disdain of the AGEOD games.

Razgovory

Quote from: Syt on September 18, 2013, 12:43:40 AM

Well the first Civil War game sucked when I played it several years ago.  The tutorial was insufficient and Jeff Davis attacking Buffalo, New York.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

garbon

Quote from: Tamas on September 18, 2013, 03:30:20 AM
but I really don`t get Habbaku`s disdain of the AGEOD games.

To me it is because they are always great concepts but I don't trust AGEOD to fully realize them. Always seem to miss the mark with mechanics, balance and then of course - graphics. :D
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Berkut

Quote from: garbon on September 18, 2013, 09:47:09 AM

To me it is because they are always great concepts but I don't trust AGEOD to fully realize them. Always seem to miss the mark with mechanics, balance and then of course - graphics. :D

Pretty much.

But I am the eternal optimist.

Tamas, if you are playing, please do provide any feedback/reviews. I still want there to be a good US ACW strat game...
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Tamas

Quote from: Berkut on September 19, 2013, 08:56:37 AM
Quote from: garbon on September 18, 2013, 09:47:09 AM

Pretty much.

But I am the eternal optimist.

Tamas, if you are playing, please do provide any feedback/reviews. I still want there to be a good US ACW strat game...

I cannot really be considered an objective source of info on these games anymore, so do consider that. :)

That said, it is easily the biggest and best ACW game I have ever tried. The scale is operational, with also the western theatre included, and with the regional decision system used, it does get a strategic depth not just in terms of "global" decisions you can make (in the ledger, much like events, or the national decisions in the EU games), but also on the local level as well. Mining coastal seas, inciting your supporters to hold demonstrations (as the South IIRC), spawn partisan units behind enemy lines (in provinces with enough support left for your side), which partisans in turn can be used to trigger a couple of other decisions about raids, and interrupting the movement of enemy stacks. Also there are decisions on improving roads, clearing terrain to improve development level so troops and supply move faster, etc.

And of course you need to balance your manpower reserves, war supplies, "engagement points" (sort of currency used to trigger decisions), money, and national will as well. You can build new units (lots of them with different uniforms according to their states, if applicable, plus special units like Sharpshooters, signal companies, etc), and/or need to spend manpower and war materials on replacements as well (this can be automated to different degrees in the options - more automation means less micromanagement, but might not have enough resources left for a new unit when you want to build it).

The AI is decent, with a hint of overagression that will be addressed in the first patch.

With all the above of course comes the fact that it is a complex game, but IMHO the new UI makes a good job of keeping it obvious.

garbon

I like this email that AGEOD sent me:

QuoteDear Ageod Gamer, 

as someone who has previously purchased one of our games we wanted to let you know some great news. We have just released Civil War II, in association with the Civil War Trust, which is a complete make over of our classic American Civil War game from 2007!
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.