News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

BP court move to halt Gulf payouts

Started by jimmy olsen, September 24, 2013, 08:58:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

I hope the court tells them to go fuck themselves.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-24218138
QuoteOil giant BP has asked a US court to halt payments from its settlement deal over the 2010 Gulf of Mexico oil spill amid concerns about fraud control.

The blast killed 11 workers and released an estimated four million barrels of oil into the gulf.

It is the firm's latest move to stop or delay payments under a financial settlement programme.

It had expected payouts to total $7.8bn (£4.9bn), but says this has been driven up by excessive fees and bogus claims.

BP has faced about $42.4bn in charges since the disaster aboard the Deepwater Horizon drilling rig, which triggered the worst offshore oil spill in US history.

It has made two previous, unsuccessful attempts, to halt compensation payments.

It now says all payments should be halted until the court-appointed claims administrator puts efficiency and accounting controls into place.

"There is no assurance that dishonest and illegitimate claims are being detected and denied," said BP spokesman Geoff Morrell.

"Payment of such claims would cause BP irreparable injury."

The company believes the existing payout formula is too generous and compensates people who were not harmed.

It is waiting for decisions by a federal appeals court on several challenges it has made to the settlement and its payment formula.

BP says there is a risk that hundreds of millions of dollars in claims payments could be fraudulent.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

CountDeMoney

QuoteIt now says all payments should be halted until the court-appointed claims administrator puts efficiency and accounting controls into place.

That's pretty funny.

Admiral Yi

CountDeMoney

Ideologue

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 24, 2013, 09:16:11 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on September 24, 2013, 09:10:59 PM
Well, they may have a point.

What I've read suggests they do.

I'm just saying, if we nationalized them, it wouldn't really be an issue.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Ideologue on September 24, 2013, 09:22:16 PM

How's that?  Then we'd be the ones on the hook to the con men and hustlers.

garbon

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 24, 2013, 09:24:17 PM

Rather than just electing them to office. :lol:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ideologue

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 24, 2013, 09:24:17 PM

The distortions inherent to an adversary process would be lost, because the government would seek to care for the injuries caused by the Gulf spill in a genuine way.  Worst case, the harm would be socialized, which, in a catastrophe like this, is the best way to go about it.  We all benefit from British American Petroleum's oil, we will all share in the costs.

I don't think there'd be much perverse incentivization, because the voting public still wouldn't be too fond of oil wells exploding and causing giant spills.
Kinemalogue

Admiral Yi

No Ide.  Worst case there would be massive fraud on top.

dps

Quote from: Ideologue on September 24, 2013, 09:37:49 PMthe government would seek to care for the injuries caused by the Gulf spill in a genuine way. 

Lol.

Ideologue

Kinemalogue

garbon

Quote from: dps on September 24, 2013, 09:54:02 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on September 24, 2013, 09:37:49 PMthe government would seek to care for the injuries caused by the Gulf spill in a genuine way. 

Lol.

I often feel that Obama cares for me in a genuine way.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ideologue

If Obama had a son, he'd have blue hair.
Kinemalogue

garbon