News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

How many moving violations have you gotten?

Started by Razgovory, September 23, 2013, 09:17:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Savonarola

Quote from: Ideologue on September 25, 2013, 08:34:55 PM
If you collect a certain number of points, you get a prize: the improved cardiovascular health that comes from walking places.

In Florida you can get your points removed from going to class.  One of my co-workers (the "Brian" in the La Florida thread) had to go through second DUI class.  It was only one weekend long and all his points were expunged (though he did have to do some time in the county jail.)  He said everyone in the class reeked of booze, and vanished during the breaks in order to drink their lunch or mid-afternoon snack.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

DGuller

I'd need a drink too if I had to sit through that class.

garbon

Quote from: Savonarola on September 25, 2013, 09:19:32 PM
vanished during the breaks in order to drink their lunch or mid-afternoon snack.

Liquid diet! :cool:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

merithyn

Quote from: garbon on September 25, 2013, 08:34:20 PM
Quote from: merithyn on September 25, 2013, 08:32:24 PM
What's the whole "point" thing that you guys are talking about? :unsure:

I don't think we have that system here.

You probably do, I mean they certainly have it on both coasts.

http://www.dmv.org/il-illinois/point-system.php

Yeah, I don't think we have it here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Point_system_(driving)#United_States_of_America
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

merithyn

Quote from: katmai on September 25, 2013, 09:38:53 PM
Uh....

dmv.org is a sales website. Primarily for car insurance. You'll forgive me if I ignore what it says.

DGuller

Your Wiki link is obviously incomplete.  I know New Jersey has a points system, and it's not there either.

merithyn

Quote from: merithyn on September 25, 2013, 09:42:12 PM
Uh....

dmv.org is a sales website. Primarily for car insurance. You'll forgive me if I ignore what it says.

Found the law on ilgov.gov. Guess there is one. *shrug*

As I said, I've had two tickets in my life. Had no idea there was such a thing.

OttoVonBismarck

I've never had a traffic ticket, never been pulled over for speeding. I've been pulled over a few times when I let my vehicle registration lapse, every time that's happened it's been basically a matter where I go to the court house before the court date on the ticket, showing them my new registration information, and they throw the ticket out and I pay no fine or etc, I just lose time out of my life to resolve it.

Now, while I've done well in the moving violation world, I have been pulled over for DUI when I was drunker than the entire Trail of Tears. I beat it with a good lawyer and because I refused to blow, giving them much less evidence to work with. Thank god it was 22 years ago when you could still refuse to incriminate yourself without being convicted of a separate (unconstitutional) offense for refusing to provide evidence against yourself.

garbon

Quote from: merithyn on September 25, 2013, 09:42:12 PM
Uh....

And instead trust wiki...
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Admiral Yi

How many times have you found an error on Wiki?

garbon

I've actually tried to correct a few but apparently I didn't use the right templates and just said whatever.

garbon

Also that dreadful dmv.org had a link directly to the ilga.gov site showing the point system. :mellow:

crazy canuck

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 25, 2013, 07:59:39 PM
Isn't that what weigh stations are for?

Here weigh stations are for just that - weighing to determine if the load is heavier than permitted.  Vehicle inspections are different and dont often occur at the weigh stations - although it could be done.  They are mainly done on routes where transporters might think there is no chance of getting caught with substandard maintenance.

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on September 26, 2013, 04:27:01 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 25, 2013, 07:59:39 PM
Isn't that what weigh stations are for?

Here weigh stations are for just that - weighing to determine if the load is heavier than permitted.  Vehicle inspections are different and dont often occur at the weigh stations - although it could be done.  They are mainly done on routes where transporters might think there is no chance of getting caught with substandard maintenance.

My wife was a former Transport Officer and you're absolutely right - the location of scales are well known, and it's not unusual for truckers with sub-standard or overloaded trucks to circumvent them.  They also have portable scales for just this eventuality.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.