News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

How many moving violations have you gotten?

Started by Razgovory, September 23, 2013, 09:17:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

Quote from: crazy canuck on September 24, 2013, 01:51:08 PM
Quote from: Iormlund on September 24, 2013, 01:41:13 PM
I don't drive weekend nights and for some reason they always wave me through counter-terrorism checkpoints.

I almost always get stopped for some kind of search at airports.  I think it is because they want to assure people they are not profiling.
I get patted down maybe 25% of the time.  Usually they do a patdown on my back, though one time they did it inside my thighs.  They have a TSA agent of the same gender do it but for that one I would have preferred one of the opposite gender, but they didn't consult with me first. :mad:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Ideologue

Oh man, if we're going into parking tickets, dozens.  I still owe Columbia $35, now that I think about it.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Caliga

Quote from: Ideologue on September 24, 2013, 02:11:07 PM
Oh man, if we're going into parking tickets, dozens.  I still owe Columbia $35, now that I think about it.
:huh: How does one earn so many parking tickets?  Do you just steadfastly refuse to follow the rules or something?

Ideologue

Law school parking was atrocious.

Actually, I may've paid that (it was a quadrupled fine for lateness).  I should go check next time I'm downtown.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: Barrister on September 24, 2013, 01:54:49 PM
Quote from: Capetan Mihali on September 23, 2013, 10:04:08 PM
Quote from: katmai on September 23, 2013, 10:00:02 PM
None.
Pulled over once for doing 43 in 35, they had me do the whole sobriety test as it was 5am.

Don't do the FSTs!

Isn't that, like, terrible advice?  UP here failing to comply with a demand carries the same penalty as being impaired would.

The field sobriety tests (and the preliminary breath test) aren't required, and generally aren't to your advantage to perform.  Refusal to give an evidentiary blood or breath sample (in e.g. a Datamaster) almost always results in a civil suspension of your license (to the same extent or longer as being impaired would).  In VT it is also the basis for a separate charge of "criminal refusal" if you already have a prior DUI conviction or there is an accident with death or serious bodily injury.  I don't think the FSTs (dexterity, modified Romberg, etc.) are part of the "implied consent" laws anywhere in the US.

So we advise clients to submit to a breath or blood test at the station but refuse the field tests and refuse the "drug recognition expert" tests.  They tend to do the opposite.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Caliga

Quote from: Ideologue on September 24, 2013, 02:18:42 PM
Law school parking was atrocious.
Well duh, it's because there are too many damn lawyers. :)

11B4V

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on September 24, 2013, 02:30:20 PM
Quote from: Barrister on September 24, 2013, 01:54:49 PM
Quote from: Capetan Mihali on September 23, 2013, 10:04:08 PM
Quote from: katmai on September 23, 2013, 10:00:02 PM
None.
Pulled over once for doing 43 in 35, they had me do the whole sobriety test as it was 5am.

Don't do the FSTs!

Isn't that, like, terrible advice?  UP here failing to comply with a demand carries the same penalty as being impaired would.

So we advise clients to submit to a breath or blood test at the station but refuse the field tests and refuse the "drug recognition expert" tests.  They tend to do the opposite.

They dont listen very well.  :P
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Admiral Yi

I'm not clear on the reasoning.

Ideologue

FSTs are designed to be failed, and prove nothing but that your judgment was poor enough to submit to an FST.
Kinemalogue

Ideologue

Also getting you to the test location and getting the shit ready can take up to an hour or two, so that's always a plus, and there are often serious problems with the operation of breath test machines, re: calibration, specificity, etc.

Blood tests are actually pretty reliable afaik.
Kinemalogue

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 24, 2013, 02:38:07 PM

I'm not clear on the reasoning.

Refuse the ones you can refuse without penalty, don't refuse the ones you can't.  Refuse the ones that are most likely to make you incriminate yourself/give the police probable cause to arrest, don't refuse the others.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on September 24, 2013, 02:44:28 PM
Refuse the ones you can refuse without penalty, don't refuse the ones you can't.  Refuse the ones that are most likely to make you incriminate yourself/give the police probable cause to arrest, don't refuse the others.

OK, but what's the upside of refusing the ones you can refuse?  Has Ide already answered?

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: Ideologue on September 24, 2013, 02:43:06 PM
Also getting you to the test location and getting the shit ready can take up to an hour or two, so that's always a plus, and there are often serious problems with the operation of breath test machines, re: calibration, specificity, etc.

Blood tests are actually pretty reliable afaik.

Ideally, you go and get your own blood test done once the police are through with you.  Of course, that's maybe going to happen for 1 in 10 upper-middle-class people pulled over in the middle of the day getting immediate advice from a criminal defense lawyer.  In VT, at least, the police have to instruct suspected impaired drivers about where and how to get an independent test done, even if no one actually does it.

EDIT:  *suspected*

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 24, 2013, 02:45:32 PM
Quote from: Capetan Mihali on September 24, 2013, 02:44:28 PM

OK, but what's the upside of refusing the ones you can refuse?  Has Ide already answered?

Pretty much.  Those are the same as the ones most likely to make you incriminate yourself/give PC to arrest.