News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Gawker...hmm

Started by garbon, September 20, 2013, 09:04:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

So this is a strange bit of news out of Gawker.  Article is bashing this gay couple who have started some sort of online crowdsourcing to raise money to fly their parents to their wedding.

http://gawker.com/help-this-needy-couples-parents-attend-one-of-their-th-1350721195

QuoteInternational couple Eric Turner and Morné Coetzer are in a bit of a pickle: They have set a date to marry (January 4, 2014), but because the legalization of same-sex marriage remains globally sporadic, neither can do it where he lives now (Eric's in Houston, Morné is in London). They have decided on South Africa, where Morné grew up and gay marriage is legal. Morné's parents are already there, but Eric's are not. Now, they'd gladly pay for Eric's parents to fly there, but they'd more gladly use your money and so they have set up a gofundme page to e-panhandle $7,000 to cover Eric's parents' trip. Really, they have more important shit to buy. With their money. But not yours. Writes Eric:

QuoteMy fiancé and I would gladly pay for them to attend, but with the price of our own trip, the wedding, and the cost of one of us moving once we're married has made that a highly unlikely possibility. I don't want anyone to help with any part of our wedding, or our expenses because of our decision to marry. But if there is anyone who can help my parents attend their favorite sons wedding ;-) , it would make our special day incredible.

Their gofundme page directs you to their personal site to read about their story. It is a story that includes plans for four separate wedding events:

QuoteOur wedding, honeymoon, and South Africa visit are all wrapped into one. We recognize that it's an expensive trip, but of our possible options, it was the least expensive. Crazy, huh? We don't expect anyone to help us with any of it. But if you'd like to contribute to our HoneyFund, that would help us get off to the best start. Don't feel obligated to do so, we'll also accept toasters.

We plan our wedding and 3 separate events around the globe for our friends and families to celebrate our union. It's an expensive prospect, but we're excited to share with all of you the love we've found for one another.

They wouldn't expect you to pay for it, but if your fingers just happen to land on the number row of your keyboard and your hand just happens to fall on your mouse as it hovers over the "DONATE" button, well wouldn't that be nice? (Hurry up with my damn croissant-toaster.)

Just in case you aren't getting their priorities here, Eric and Morné are laying them out:

QuoteWe have a lot to pay for, but our first priority is making the ceremony happen. Second, trying to find a way to get those closest to us there. After that, there are obvious expenses. And any help anyone can offer would be incredible!

[more in the link]

Now the couple does sound a little bit over the top as I don't think they need such an elaborate ceremony but I noticed (although now apparent the online donation is gone) that gawker left out how they'd written this for people invited to their wedding and said instead of any wedding gifts that they just wanted people to help pitch in a few dollars for their parents.

Instead, it became some sort of social media thing where even gays were bashing on them - even to the extent of things like "narcissistic gays, way to be a stereotype." :blink:

Gawker. :rolleyes:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ed Anger

I loathe Gawker. With the heat of a thousand suns.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Grey Fox

I loathe their stupid redesign. I like how they parse Reddit for me.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

sbr

Reddit frightens and confuses me.

Ed Anger

Quote from: sbr on September 20, 2013, 10:08:25 AM
Reddit frightens and confuses me.

They need a good asswhoopin' too.

Eddie Teach

I let Tim and Seedy pick which news articles I read.  :cool:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

katmai

I don't pay attention to gawker or reddit
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Neil

Gawker bad.  Gays bad.  The whole story is terrible.

That said, if these gays can trick people into giving them money, where's the harm?  Even if it were a hetero couple, I'd still wish death on them, but the fact that they're gay isn't any worse than the fact that they're cyberbegging scum.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Admiral Yi

If you take out the boohoohoo oppressed gay part, they're just panhandling to fly one set of parents to a wedding.

Capetan Mihali

I just got invited to a (breeder) wedding in South Africa.  Neither party is my child.  I don't think I'm going to be able to afford it.  Thoughts?

EDIT: Also, this is a Jew marrying a German.  Should I be concerned?
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Admiral Yi

Work your way down on a tramp steamer.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on September 22, 2013, 06:53:57 PM
I just got invited to a (breeder) wedding in South Africa.  Neither party is my child.  I don't think I'm going to be able to afford it.  Thoughts?

Ugh, destination weddings.

PDH

Tell them that if they want some of the Capetan then they are gonna have to pony up some dough.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on September 22, 2013, 06:53:57 PM

Of course not.  If the woman is Jewish your ranks will swell.  If the man is Jewish who gives a shit?