The Government Shutdown Countdown Lowdown MEGATHREAD

Started by CountDeMoney, September 17, 2013, 09:09:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Quote from: dps on October 17, 2013, 05:13:59 PMIt's not a bug, it's a feature.
Absolutely. As I say it's only in the US that that system has managed to survive.

I think part of it is structural. You've got a two-party, first past the post system. Politics is an absolute zero-sum game.

So I think, for example, the Republicans should have worked with Obama on healthcare. I think he would've more or less let them write the law if it managed to provide universal coverage. They could have significantly advanced their policy agenda. But had they done so chances are they wouldn't have got much of the credit, which would've drifted to this post-partisan President and it would've given a bipartisan (the most fetishised aspect of American politics) imprimatur to Obama in general.

To get their policy agenda moved forward and to stop the Democrats writing their own law they should have cooperated. But on a political analysis they were entirely right to try and destroy. I think that's a feature of many reforms lately. The Republicans it seems to me end up in more extreme positions because they're a more unified, ideological party and far less likely than the Democrats to buckle and collapse under pressure.
Let's bomb Russia!

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

CountDeMoney

Personally, I disagree when it comes to term limits;  after all, every election is a term limit, and every election there's somebody out there that gets the shit surprised out of them in either the primaries or the general election.

Seniority plays an important part in the procedural aspects of both houses, and quite frankly, if a constituency wants to keep sending the same person back to DC for whatever reason, they should have the ability to do so.

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 17, 2013, 08:01:39 PM
Personally, I disagree when it comes to term limits;  after all, every election is a term limit, and every election there's somebody out there that gets the shit surprised out of them in either the primaries or the general election.

Seniority plays an important part in the procedural aspects of both houses, and quite frankly, if a constituency wants to keep sending the same person back to DC for whatever reason, they should have the ability to do so.

I don't know I mean would things be so bad if being a congressman wasn't a life long career? After all, they have staffers to tell them what is important and just about ever other political position comes with a limit.

Bloomberg. :cry:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

DontSayBanana

The House in particular is ridiculous.  Since they're worried about being primaried/re-elected every other year, they're only actually doing their jobs half the time.  I've probably said this before, but it bears repeating.  10 year term for executive branch positions and the Senate, single term only.  5 year term for the House, limit two per customer.  There would be some real teeth in setting policy, and Americans might put a little more thought into who they're sending to DC and why if they know they're going to be stuck with the yobbos for a decade.
Experience bij!

Caliga

Term limits are a nice idea, but they'll never happen.  Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

CountDeMoney

Quote from: DontSayBanana on October 17, 2013, 08:14:26 PM
The House in particular is ridiculous.  Since they're worried about being primaried/re-elected every other year, they're only actually doing their jobs half the time.  I've probably said this before, but it bears repeating.  10 year term for executive branch positions and the Senate, single term only.  5 year term for the House, limit two per customer.  There would be some real teeth in setting policy, and Americans might put a little more thought into who they're sending to DC and why if they know they're going to be stuck with the yobbos for a decade.

Interesting points, but I bet representatives would do their jobs better if they weren't allowed to design their own districts, more so than if they didn't have to worry about term limits.

DGuller

What are term limits going to accomplish?  Send even more dilettante nutso to the Nut House?

PDH

I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

merithyn

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 17, 2013, 08:23:05 PM
Interesting points, but I bet representatives would do their jobs better if they weren't allowed to design their own districts, more so than if they didn't have to worry about term limits.

Oh hell to the yeah.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

dps

I agree with the man from Baltimore on this one.

Quote from: DGullerWhat are term limits going to accomplish?  Send even more dilettante nutso to the Nut House?

Yep, instead of the idiots we have I Washington now, we'd have to replace them with the even worse idiots we have in our state legislatures.

But that's not really the point---Seedy's 2nd paragraph is the point:  if voters want to keep having the same person represent them, they should be able to do so.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien